The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Looking for female Corgi in Mid-Atlantic

My mom is searching for a female Corgi to be companion to her neutered male Corgi. Her two older Goldens recently passed away and the little guy is lonely. He has had some aggression issues with larger male dogs but has never had any problem in extensive play times with females, particularly female Corgis. (Mom says Corgis have different "play rules" than do some other breeds, and it does seem that he gets along best with other Corgis or dogs that have been raised with Corgis.) She is looking for a rescue/rehoming situation but there doesn't seem to be a breed rescue organization in the area, and her friends at the Golden rescue understandably can't help!

She lives on an acre of lawn and woods in the middle of nowhere and the dogs are trained to an Invisible Fence. She's a school teacher and enjoys taking walks with the four-leggers morning and afternoon, following which the Corgi enjoys helping her in the garden. In addition to the male Corgi she also has several cats.

I was hoping that someone in the horse community might know someone who knows someone who knows of one of these little dogs needing a good home! She can provide plenty of references, including the breeder of her current Corgi (also a horse pro) and the Golden Retriever rescue she was involved with and from which she adopted one of her late dogs. We've got feelers out locally but if anyone remotely near to Maryland knows of a girl Corgi available I'd appreciate a message to forward on to her!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Google Pembroke Welsh Corgi of the Garden State. I think that is likely the closest breed club to you. They will have a rescue coordinator you can contact.

We adopted two Corgis from them at separate times and they were great. I would highly recommend.

There's also the Pembroke Club of the Potomac: http://www.pwccp.org/

Locally, we just lost our local Cardi rescue contact, but if you were considering Cardis - and how could you not? - you might contact the National Cardigan Rescue: http://cardiganrescue.org/

I would definitely try to contact group you're interested in directly, as there are often dogs that are available or that people know of that don't get listed on the websites for various reasons.

Good luck, and if I hear of any girls, I'll pass it along!

If you go to Petfinder.com and type in my zip code, 23669, Ziva will come up on page 1, and Diana will come up in page 4. Ziva is in Va. Beach, and I think Diana is in PA. All I know about these girls is what is on Petfinder. I have no personal knowledge of either girl. Good luck!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Thanks for the links! Mom's contacted Garden State and Potomac already and has been searching Petfinder. Isn't Diana gorgeous? I don't know about the Cardi rescue but I'll definitely pass it on.
    Last edited by Renn/aissance; Dec. 5, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG