The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Adult Ammy looking for a lesson barn in Indianapolis

Not new to riding, but have taken a break from horse ownership recently due to a very bad fall. Looking for a trainer that will provide GOOD lesson horses and understand my fear issues. I feel that I need to start from scratch, even though I've been riding for 35+ years!!

Specifically I'd like to hear from anyone in the Indy area that is familiar with BitWhip Farm (Deb Danner's place) - clientele, boarding prices, leasing avail?

Any suggestions would be helpful, and ideally I'd like to find other adults that board/train/show as well!

I'm not in the area anymore, but Stefanie Collier at Collier's Lane is excellent. She has an active show barn, with kids and adults who show and train with her. The care is excellent and she has a nice facility. And everyone is very nice! She does have lesson horses and leases available.

I know a lot of people who are very happy with Erin McCabe at GEM Stables, as well. She has lesson horses and I believe leases available as well.

I know of Deb only by reputation, but I've never heard anything bad. I'm sure other people on here will have more information for you.

Sent you a PM

would also recommend Stefanie. I do not live in IN anymore, but when I was a grad student at Purdue I took lessons from her. I had not ridden in 12 years at that time and she was great. A truly good person and teacher.

Grand View at least used to be one of the top hunter barns in the area. It may have changed management though and I'm not sure if they stayed h/j. Worth looking at though.

Are you wanting a strictly hunter barn?

Amy Tilson, Sierra woods has lots of wonderful lesson horses. She has many connections for great lease horses too. My daughter works with Amy and our horse has bloomed under her. We only board there occasionally due to distance of barn to daughter but I highly recommend it. http://www.sierrawoodsfarm.com/
    Good luck!

I am an Adult Ammy in Indy area as well. If you ever want to get together, let me know. I keep mine at home and they are nice and safe (for a wimp like me!).
    If you find a decent trainer, let me know and we can do lessons! (I'm from the East Coast and know no one over here).
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies