The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Making my own wool sheet: Velcro or standard hardware?

So ponykins has been chilly and I'm looking to make a blanket liner and stable sheet out of wool. Lucky for me she's small enough I can use an old 100% wool blanket! So I have her old torn up sheet I can steel the straps and hardware from. Or I can make one with a belly band! Will heavy duty Velcro hold up or should I stick with metal fastenings? Also, does it have to have the binding all blankets have around them or can I just put on fastenings and be done? Thanks!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

If you really want to save yourself some work, use two blanket clamps and an elastic surcingle, and you'll be in business. A friend of mine does this with plain wool blankets. Her gelding stays warm, dries off great, and the blanket stays put. Her surcingle is a wide one. That may be the ticket. She also uses 2 or three binder clamps down the front instead of blanket clamps for a lower profile and less stress on the fabric (http://www.officemax.com/office-supp...46842&ssp=true). They stay on pretty well.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

If you don't bind the edges they will tend to roll up.

Conventional hardware. Hook and loop material becomes clogged with debris very quickly.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams