The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

On the bright side, you'll be fly-free for a few days...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    On the bright side, you'll be fly-free for a few days...
    LOL, quiet the opposite: Flies a drawn to the stink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL, quiet the opposite: Flies a drawn to the stink.
    Ohh, NOOOOOOO.....YUK. Never mind OP...There IS no bright side.

2 members found this post helpful.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

I don't know if this will work on destinking your shoes and clothes, but it's very effective on everything they claim it will do. I bought an oriental rug off of ebay and it had a horrendous smell. It reeked and washing it just made it more pungent. I figured I'd give this stuff a try before tossing the rug. Sprinkled it on, let it sit for a day and the smell was greatly reduced. Covered it and let it sit for several days, then vacuumed. No more smell. Hopefully you'll be able to keep your favorite pants and shoes.

https://www.facebook.com/OdorZout

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_sl_8j...&psrk=odorzout
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

Everyone, I cannot thank you enough for all the suggestions. I am extremely grateful.

The clothes & shoes, I have no idea how they shall turn out at this point. They are soaking in soup of combined suggestions.

My keyboard keys seem okay after cleaing with alcohol. My pricey mouse, alcohol & lemon do not seem to have worked. It has some sort of rubber "grips," not just hard plastic like the keyboard. I think the mouse may have to go bye-bye.

The bathtub is soaking in an incredible amount of bleach. Have the bathroom window open.

Me, I smell so much better than originally, though I do still have an "aroma." Quite frankly, I am still feeling a bit nauseated too, but this too shall pass.

EVERYONE LEARN FROM MY HIDEOUS LESSON! Do not leave the milk jugs out there too long! Change them out monthly (or sooner if full), whether they need it or not. The plastic degrades over time, all the faster in straight southern sun. Avoid my less than pleasant experience of today!

IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP: I save the original milk jug lids to recap the jugs as I change them out, to keep the contents from spilling out. BUT! And this is a really important BUT, make sure you punch a hole or make a slit in the lid before recapping with the dead fly contents inside. As the dead bodies do gas off! *seriously* If this now recapped jug cannot "breathe," the jug WILL explode. You do not ever want to find out first hand how hideous this stench is! The trash company was so pissed off at me as the trash can hideously stank forever more & attracted flies like crazy. They finally gave me a new trash can. (That happened last year.)

(Yeah, my learning curve has been a little rough. )

Will I continue to use milk jug fly traps. Yes. I really like being able to recap the jug to help avoid stinky stench spills, verses the mess of emptying out the refillable kind of traps. Sure cannot blame anyone for chickening out & using the trap & toss varities though. But be careful when disposing that they do not spill/leak all over in your trash can!

Good luck everyone, & lord knows you never want to go through what I did today.

Again, I am so grateful for all the suggestions.

THANK YOU!
    ThisTooShallPass

Since dead flies are organic...
    Natures miracle (For pets that have accidents) or another organic cleaner called 'Poop Off' for bird accidents would be my first thought.

Good luck.

Having one of those break are the things that nightmares are made of.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Default The Answer is: TOMATO JUICE

Besides lots of soap & water as that is what the MDSD decrees one must do; I think I vote for tomato juice-at least for getting off of your skin. Though lord knows I tried several of the suggestions. Probably using one after the other is what really worked.

I think the smell is now gone-from me. No one has had funny looks or taken a step away today.

Before going to bed I generously rubbed lots fresh rosemary, straight from the bushes over my hands, arm & leg. It really helped to mask the situation.

The shoes are a loss. The pants, shirt & socks are going to get a couple of more washings, with even more tomato juice added. I may boil up some rosemary & add that to the wash water as well. Lemon juice added in too. (Sticking with that CSI recommendation proffered.)

Overally, an experience I hope to never repeat.

Again, very grateful for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    Duh! You're supposed to drink the alcohol. Whatever kind you prefer. You'll still stink, but you won't care
    This.

Glad you've at least been able to destink yourself, TTSP!

One last (and late) suggestion, to remove especially tenacious smells from one's person... try toothpaste! Had to disassemble a weird ashtray thing at work once and in the process, got some really nasty smoke/nicotene residue on my hand. Couldn't get the smell off, after using everything I could find at work (including nail polish remover/acetone), so when I got home, I started washing my hands with whatever I could find there. Nothing worked, until I tried toothpaste. Have no idea why it worked, when nothing else would, but after a good scrub with nailbrush, no more cigarette smoke smell! A little on the minty fresh side, but that, I can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    I'm doing the squicky dance on your behalf....
    EWWWWW! Also doing the squicky dance on your behalf, ThisTooShallPass!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

My best guess is the decomposing flies are letting off short chain amines and fatty acids, both of which really stink (very very badly). What I would do would be and acid wash (e.g. vinegar or tomato juice) followed by soap and water, to get rid of the amines and then a base "wash", e.g. sodium carbonate, followed by soap and water to get rid of the fatty acids.

Funny story - a co-worker, the P-chemist, of mine trapped a fly in a small glass vial. He was watching it slowly decompose in the vial - carefully noting the oily drops forming on the outside of the decomposing fly. And, then one day, out of curiousity, he opened the vial. It stunk in him out of the office and according to him, it ruined the entire rest of the day Of course, the rest of us were rolling on the floor w/ laughter.

Another vote for trying Nature's Miracle on the clothes and shoes - it has an enzyme that breaks down and gets rid of organic matter - and it is in an alcohol base.

I quit using the jugs because I started thinking the stink was attracting as many flies as a dead cow would. Yes, it caught a lot but I don’t think half of them would have been there if that thing didn’t stink so bad. Big ol’ green flies would show up. I never see them normally. Just my theory.

OMG I would have been puking non-stop if that had happened to me! The smell of that stuff alone makes me gag!

So sorry!