The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question HELP! Spilled Milk Jug Fly Trap Contents on Me!!!

Save your hysterical laughter for later, right now I need to know how to unstink mysefl!

As title says, I spilled the nasty used contents of a Milk Jug fly trap on me. I did a mighty fine job of it too. The jug was old (the sun degrades them enough in 3-4 months they turn brittle) & it cracked open as I was carrying it. It is all down my arm, my hand, my pants, & my shoe.

The MSDS sheet says soap & water, & then alcohol.

I have repeatedly washed myself until I am bright pink, & my skin still stinks. I mean I really, realy stink. I've even scrubbed with the green scrubby side of a kitchen sponge.

I am scared to death to throw my clothes in the washer as I do not want to contaminate my washer.

My favorite Ryka slip on shoes for daily wear, I think they shall have to be trashed. They are washable, but I have washed them so often already I think one more wash & the insides will fall out.

HOW DO I GET THE STINK OUT?! Of me, & the clothes, & maybe the shoes too? Help! Help! Help! How do I uncontaminate the washing machine?

This shall be one of those remember when stories:

When you spilled the fly trap & stunk for a week! *Hystercial laughter all around.* And we had to throw out the washing machine! We wanted to throw you out too, but you own the place...Wouldn't be seen with her in public....*More hysterical laughter.*

A huge thanks in advance for any helpful advice.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

4 members found this post helpful.

Tomato juice?

Listerine?

Both good for deskunking. Poor you and your shoon
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

What is the active ingredient in this stuff? What else does the label say? I looked it up online but the pics of the package wasn't high enough res for me to read anything.

Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

I would toss the clothes...

1 members found this post helpful.

You are probably right about the clothes. Favorite pants too.

I keep repeating my screen name...This too shall pass. Question is, how soon?

Off to take a bath in the stash of tomato juice I save for a dog getting skunked. Granted, it will be diluted in the bath water, as I only own about a gallon of tomato juice, but anything it worth a try.

PLEASE IDEAS! What did you do when you you got stuff one you?

put Vick's vapor rub under your nose!

I would not worry too much about the washing machine though, almost everything in there cleans up with hot water and bleach.

as for you... pour the tomato juice on yourself straight, then rinse...

or skunk out: peroxide, baking soda and a dad of liquid soap...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The problem is...you've got a nasty organic mix of decomposed flies and the data sheet doesn't tell you what to do about that, just the gunk that's in there to start. Maybe you can try some of the deoderizing shampoos that the vet sells or from the pet store to try and neutralize the fly goo stink. Odoban?

Here are some tips to get rid of gas smell - same idea:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4532502_get-...off-hands.html

Good luck :-(

3 members found this post helpful.

According to CSI Las Vegas () lemon juice...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh UGH! Certainly NOT laughing at you. YUCK YUCK.

Your clothes might be able to be saved with some vinegar and sunshine. Soak em, and let the sunlight do it's thing for a few hours/one day. Then toss in the wash as normal.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

First I'd take the clothes off and put them in a five gallon bucket with whatever the MSDS is calling for. THEN I'd take a soapy shower, rinse, pour the undiluted tomato juice on me (or alchohol if thats what the MSDS says) really getting it on the spots that got soaked, let it set, although with alchohol you'll freeze, then another shower.

Ugh. I got that stuff on my hands once. Ordinarily I wear gloves but I was being cocky. I washed and washed and I think I covered the stink with hand lotion finally.

I wouldn't worry about the washer, just use lots of soap, and pray.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Thumbs up

After tons of soap scrubbing & 4 bottles of alcohol; I just took a tomato bath, as in sit down in it. (Thanks for the suggestion.) Turns out I had about a gallon & a half of it on hand, that I keep horded for deskunking the dogs. I scrubbed myself like crazy.

If I actually raise my hand/arm to my nose I can still smell it. But just sitting here, I am not reeking like I was when I originally posted pleading for ideas. So making progess. I think it is easier to deskunk a dog.

Absolutely right about the added issue of the decaying fly stench! Trust me, you do not ever want to experience this.

I am very grateful for all of the suggestions. I never would have thought of tomato juice, or lemon juice either.

Heading to the store now to buy all sorts of the added suggestions. Would so love to save my favorite shoes. And I personally would like not to stink for the next week.

Thank you! Thank you!

Tomato juice and lemon juice were the two things I thought of. How about a good scrubbing of you and your clothes with Fels Naptha soap --- the stuff that comes in a bar?

Duh! You're supposed to drink the alcohol. Whatever kind you prefer. You'll still stink, but you won't care
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    Duh! You're supposed to drink the alcohol. Whatever kind you prefer. You'll still stink, but you won't care
    Oops.......

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by Sobriska View Post
    That's my thought!!! Ahhhhh so gross. i'm doing the squicky dance on your behalf....
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Among the other great suggestions, try Dawn dish detergent too! I did that once to myself but thankfully it was not a lot.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Thanks for the update. Let us know how the clothes turn out!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

You might also try covering your shoes/clothes in kitty litter/baking soda and letting it soak up the smell for a few days, more or less.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.