The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Baltimore County Dog Training Classes?

Some of my family members recently adopted a 1 yo mixed breed male dog. Shelter said he was very well behaved around other dogs, but has started to show aggression towards other dogs in the few months they have had him. He does the basic sit/stay/down/come commands very well, so they're looking for more than the basic PetSmart classes.

I'm looking for experiences with and recommendations for for GROUP training classes in the Baltimore County/surrounding area (within a half an hour of the Hunt Valley Dover) if possible. Preferably a behavioral modification type training (not shock collar or punishment-based - the dog definitely has some anxiety issues, and we don't want to give him any more!).

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren12 View Post
    Some of my family members recently adopted a 1 yo mixed breed male dog. Shelter said he was very well behaved around other dogs, but has started to show aggression towards other dogs in the few months they have had him. He does the basic sit/stay/down/come commands very well, so they're looking for more than the basic PetSmart classes.

I'm looking for experiences with and recommendations for for GROUP training classes in the Baltimore County/surrounding area (within a half an hour of the Hunt Valley Dover) if possible. Preferably a behavioral modification type training (not shock collar or punishment-based - the dog definitely has some anxiety issues, and we don't want to give him any more!).
    I don't know, personally, but go to www.akc.org. You can look under Clubs and Delagates, Obedience Clubs and/or Training Clubs, and then state. You can see what's close by.

You might also find a United Kennel Club dog training club, although those are fewer in number. (Can't remember the web address at the moment.)

Oh, and if the first club doesn't work or suit your family members' style (although they HAVE to do the actual training), try another. When I first started out, I learned more from a club 45 miles away than one that met less than 2 miles away from my home.

Tell them 'good luck and happy training!'
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt