The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Reefy, I am sorry that I did not know Murphy was your beloved cat and just assumed dog. He does sound very dog-like in his mannerisms as you noted. My oldest-lived cat was almost 17 when we had to say goodbye. Jamie was a foundling gray tabby with a little brick-red nose and became my poodle's best friend for the remaining years of her life.

Very glad to hear that Murphy had a good night and is comfortable and eating. That is the best news during times like this. Take good care and bless you both.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, Reefy, hugs to you and many, many jingles for Murphy. Glad he was feeleing a bit better. I know you will do the right thing for him.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I'm just seeing this, Reefy.

So glad that you're getting to spend some time with the good old Murphy now instead of the sick one.

I hope when the time comes you take comfort in having given him a fantastic, long life. As much as any kitty could ask for!

Wishing you peace and strength!
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

reefy! is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Default Day 2 of kitty hospice was really good, day 3 a little rougher

Well, Murphy had a great day yesterday. He didn't seem to be uncomfortable so I didn't give him any pain meds at all so he was super alert and HUNGRY . He spent some time out on the screened in porch (it's been so nice and warm here in AZ) and gave himself a really good cleaning which he hadn't done in awhile (yay).

This morning, day 3, he seemed a tad uncomfortable so I gave him some of his pain stuff. I know he will be needing it but I hate him on it because he is so spacy (but still has a decent appetite).

So, we'll just keep taking it one day at a time. And feeling better knowing that any time now will be the right time. That is a comfort.
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Jingles for you and Murphy, Reefy. (I just saw this.) I hope he's having some happy days. :-)

Jingles for Murphy and you. Enjoy all the good times you have. I feel your pain.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Enjoy this time with Murphy. I had a mostly-delightful hospice time with my heart kitty Desmond after his cancer diagnosis. A nice interval to look back on, wedged between the heartbreak of the diagnosis and the pain of eventually losing him. All those nice warm days where he got whatever he wanted and enjoyed constant attention and lots of food treats (you know... the treatment he thought he should have had his whole life!).

Give the old codger a hug from me... and Desmond.
    Last edited by JoZ; Dec. 7, 2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Original Poster

Thank you guys - Murphy is having a really good week!!
    He hasn't had pain meds since Tuesday morning and seems to be on the mend from the UTI. So maybe that was enough to keep him from feeling well enough to eat?? I don't know but even though he has his diagnosis now, I have no idea how far along to the end we are.

I am most definitely enjoying my bonus time with my smooch kitty. He has become even smoochier which I love.

He has been eating (whatever he wants for now) really well - I need to try and get him back on his GI food (for constipation) since it seems like he had a little problem going this morning and he hasn't had that issue all week. Except now he's hooked on Before Grains chicken flavor. I'm hoping he'll get hungry enough to eat what he is supposed to eat but if not, I'll let him gorge on the BG and stuff him full of pumpkin (he does not like that but you gotta do what you gotta do).

So, Murphy is feeling good as far as I can tell. The antibiotics will be done on Sunday and then we'll see where we are. Hopefully, the UTI will be gone and we can just keep on enjoying whatever time we have.

Yay Murphy! Yay you!

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Original Poster

Default Update

Murphy had his 2nd birthday yesterday - his spirit birthday.

We were doing pretty well until Sunday 12/16. Throughout the night into Monday, he was terribly uncomfortable and had started passing blood in his urine again.

Thankfully the vet was able to come that morning and Murphy finally had his relief.

I'm heartbroken - but happy to be able to have made his pain stop, here in his home, where he spent most of his life. Murphy came to me by way of co-worker whose wife found some kittens that had no momma. He was raised by people - of the 3 that survived, he was the only one (for the first few years anyway) that became a nice pet. Not sure if they had some feral kitty in them or what but Murphy was a little devil kitten (but sooo cute and as a little 5/6 week fluffball, he got away with it!). As he aged, he turned into a snuggly lap cat, at least towards me. He didn't really care for anyone else so I guess it's good I ended up with that crazy kitten.

We moved across the country twice (once to MI and then back to AZ) and he was a great traveler (at least by plane). He was feisty to the end, growling and carrying on as soon as the vet got here yesterday. But he went peacefully and very quickly so I know it was the right decision.

I wish the right thing to do was not always the very hardest thing to do. But I'm blessed for our extra 2 weeks together and I know I'll be okay again. But I will forever miss my Murphy. RIP smooch kitty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Murphy 2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	37343

{Hugs} to you reefy!...I'm so sorry Rest In Peace sweet kitty...
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

Reefy... bless you for being so kind in your reply to my post, when I see you must be heartbroken. What a handsome gentleman your Murphy was... and it sounds like you made his life, and especially last days, the best a cat could want.

Warm thoughts from me (And Finnegan-monster, the scourge of vets everywhere!) at this tough time.

Hugs. it is never easy and we would do it all again.

Reefy, Very sorry to hear this news about Murphy today. What a blessed cat he was, to have you and travel across the country and back to his original area. He is just beautiful and thank you for letting us see this special photo of him today. You were surely there for him every step of the way and he is going to wait for you and you will be reunited. Take care.

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a good and kind friend you were to Murphy. Godspeed, leeda keedee.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Murphy was a beautiful kitty whose time with you was way too short. But he was so lucky to have you as his *Mom*.

May the memories of your time together eventually bring you loving smiles.

I so very sorry. Be glad you were able to take away his pain, even though it doesn't make his passing any easier. RIP Murphy.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

So very sorry about your kitty. Had to put down my two long time kitties, litter-mates, one spring of 2011 and the other this past spring.
    I miss them greatly but they are no longer in discomfort from renal failure. You did the right thing for yours after providing him a long, loving life.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Hugs! And Godspeed Murphy over the Bridge!

There's a beloved, much-missed crabby curmudgeon of a kitty waiting over the bridge for me. His name is Desmond. He will show Murphy all the best sun patches and hiding spots. And neither one of them will never need a vet again!

(((((((HUGS))))))) to you, reefy...