The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stall Component Suppliers--Who did you use?

I am looking for recommendations for suppliers for stall partitions/fronts/dutch doors and end doors. I've got a quote from Lucas and Classic, but am looking for other recommendations.
    I used Woodstar on my last barn, but I'm not happy with how the paint wore on the stall gates.

I found via google search Rockin J and Precision Builders, but does anybody have recommendations for others?

THANKS!

Check out Priefert.

I looked at several vendors. Ended up with Priefert.

Lucas is excellent.

We used Morton for the dutch doors and all that.
    For our stall fronts/doors we used Triton. Excellent customer service, quick and easy delivery and easy(ish) installation. They are dirty now obviously, but they still look pretty good.

http://s1117.beta.photobucket.com/us...ml?sort=3&o=23 This is from right after we put them in. I really miss that clean, new barn look. It's all dusty and dirty now unfortunately lol.

http://s1117.beta.photobucket.com/us...ained.jpg.html Here they are a year later. We had just finished staining the wood so it was still wet and looked weird. After the stain dried it looked very nice.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Last barn was Priefert. New one is Classic. Definitely a step up in quality and price.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Badger, I love your components! I like the Lucas hinges and stall latches a hair better, but I'm getting a bid on those too!

I do have country Mfg dutch doors right now and I.de.spise.them. :P
    NB, thanks for the recommendation on Triton, hadn't heard of them before

I used Amour Gates.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

We used RAMM for the dividers and stall fronts. Looked at Priefert as well, but felt the RAMM was a better product. Wanted to choke sales rep to death by the time we ordered (he was persistent). BUT..great product, installed just like they should have, quick delivery (too quick actually), and they look great! My husband wanted to hate them, but even admitted they're nice.

We have a Triton barn.

I love the parts, and everything is still working well a year and a half later other than the freak weather incident called a microburst with 90mph (guessed) vertical wind columns causing problems... It was pretty easily repaired and far less damage than maybe expected from something which actually destroyed an entire village on a reservation the same day. They were very persistent prior to our purchase, and nearly disappeared once they had our money. They were also very difficult when we needed replacement parts and even estimates to ensure our insurance had given us enough money after the barn was damaged by the microburst, not returning calls and emails for quite a while.

As much as I love the barn, if you want continued support after they have your money or to know when parts are coming, I recommend going elsewhere.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I have used three different stall component suppliers for three different barns over the years.

We used Woodstar in our first barn we built back in 1994 . We wanted a traditional look with all wooden doors. The grills were a bit chintzy (made of conduit back then) but the company was great to deal with and we had no problems with our order or delivery.

We used Priefert in our second barn. http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2...D550/ry%3D400/
    We had some problems (window grills made wrong size) with the order but they were good about taking care of it right away. Easy to deal with and shipped on time. Stall dividers are a little week in that if you have an itchy horse that likes to rub, the stall dividers will actually bend and bow and stay that way.

We used Triton for our most recent barn and it didn't go as smoothly and i would have liked. http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2...D550/ry%3D400/ I will say that the doors and grills are very sturdy construction.
    Last edited by pds; Apr. 14, 2013 at 08:29 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am using Lucas. I also looked at Classic and some more generic pre-fab ones closer to me.
    I chose Lucas because there were some very specific custom elements that I wanted and they were fabulous at working with me through the design as well as advising on practicality and useability.
    I haven't actually received my stalls yet, but am eagerly awaiting their arrival any day now.

I will never have another Preifert barn. My mare who likes to self-gratify can literally bend these rickety stalls with the slightest shove of her butt. The company kept sending out the wrong parts, and I hate, hate, hate the sliding door latches; they're literally covered in actual sandpaper and they rip my hands. The doors don't slide very nicely, either. After 2 years the grills are rusting at the welds, and they're tube steel to boot, like porta panels, so not very sturdy.

My old boarding barn had wire mesh Lucas stalls and they were fabulous. So I'm using them for my new barn. Pricey but primo. You get what you pay for.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Izzman, who posts on here, used Lucas for her barn. Of course, it did not hurt that they are located about 30 miles from her place. I board at her barn. The stalls have held up well. They did have to adjust the height on the bars, when their 1600 lb Appendix QH decided to rub his butt on them. It separated from the tongue and groove, lower wall. With three of us, it did not take long to fix.

The folks from Lucas were great with whom to work. They were recommended by my friend in Alabama, who used them for the stalls in her barn. She has been very happy with her stalls, too.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Thanks all! Still sorting through everything, but looks like the stall components and dutch doors will be Lucas mainly because of the longevity and quality. Still pricing out End doors, and those will NOT be Lucas, because they are around 5K each! EEK!

We used doors from Plyco for our barn doors. Top half is all window so when the barn is closed up we get tons of light. Very nice doors.
    Last edited by pds; Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling

As Auburn said, I have Lucas stalls and have been very happy with them. One thing I wanted to point out that I don't believe was mentioned yet. When I had my barn built I finished the inside myself. When it came to measuring my 12 x 12 stalls, they were all slightly diffferent in size once all the posts were added. I don't know if you were planning on custom components but I am really glad I went that route. You can mix and match the components that you want and really get the stalls done the way you want them. One thing I would do differently is the door closure mechanism. They have a door style that has a rung that slides up and down into the track so you can open and close the door from both sides. My escape artist would not be as happy but I would pick those if I has to do it again. Lucas made each of my components to fit perfectly and they were so great to work with that I make a point of going to their booth at Rolex to say hello every year.

Fairweather - I know that you mentioned Classic - you may still want to consider them. Their end doors will be much more reasonably priced. That being said - if you split your order, you are going to incur HUGE shipping charges for just a set of doors (in comparison to the cost of just the doors). I can also attest to the quality of Classic's products, having used them for a number of years and I have been in many older barns with their products as well. Frankly, I've seen their products hold up better than Lucas (I've been all over KY and their products are everywhere there). Remember, the base material of Lucas products is black steel (just like horse shoes) and it will rust if the paint comes off. Food for thought.

I used Lucas and would not again. They changed the direction half of my doors hung, then blamed it on me and my contractor. And, more importantly, the very expensive powder coating is useless. Anywhere horses can put their teeth, it is rusting out. My entire stalls are metal mesh, so we need to sandblast and repaint the entire things. They are only 3 years old and look bad. Cost a bloody fortune. Not that company, not again.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagegirl123 View Post
    I used Lucas and would not again. They changed the direction half of my doors hung, then blamed it on me and my contractor. And, more importantly, the very expensive powder coating is useless. Anywhere horses can put their teeth, it is rusting out. My entire stalls are metal mesh, so we need to sandblast and repaint the entire things. They are only 3 years old and look bad. Cost a bloody fortune. Not that company, not again.
    Yikes, what a nightmare. I went with galvanized rather than powder-coated. I like the utilitarian anti-bling look, and it's pretty indestructible.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

1 members found this post helpful.

That's awful that your stalls are all rusted. I don't know if the rust is manufacturer specific though, I have never seen a powder coated stall of any brand that did not rust where horses had scraped it, which is why I went with galvanized.

3 members found this post helpful.