The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Myler Baucher Bit

Has anyone used one? Thoughts compared to a french link version?

The horse I'm riding has been in a double bridle for years. My german friend that taught me a lot when I was there tells me to put him back in the snaffle because the double just makes them strong and insensitive (as is his nature anyway). I don't expect I'm a good enough rider to re-train him or make it work but I'm going to give it my best try so I'm trying to decide on a bit to start with (and also need to get my hands on a drop noseband to go with it- going old school).

Any other recommendations welcome. Doesn't need to be legal to compete in as we will go back to the double for that for sure.

A double is meant for specific/indepedent uses, if the horse becomes strong or insenstive to the independent uses it is the fault of the rider.

If you are going to use a drop, why not a traditional fulmer?
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Yes, yes always the fault of the rider. He's been trained by respected gold medal pros and I don't presume to think I know more/can ride better than them so I personally wouldn't comment on their skills or faults with a double bridle.

I was thinking a dropped noseband with a fixed ring french link originally.
    The fulmer I don't think will do anything, honestly. I've always used them on young horses as a training tool to assist in steering but other than that they're just a plain snaffle (unless you speak of fancy mouthpieces).
    A baucher worked well on a horse I had that was stiff in the bridle- he wasn't as able to run through half halts in it and was much more over his back in general with it so I wondered if perhaps a myler baucher may do amazing things.

I have one! I used it on my green mare with a fat tongue. Her traditional French link eggbutt was pushing on her tongue and causing her to curl. Some of my friends have them and love them. Instant improvement...no more curling. However I noticed she wouldn't take much weight, if any, in her contact. I then tried the HS Sprenger Dynamic eggbutt and OMG!!! AMAZING!!! Instantly stretched into contact and held it. No curling or inverting. I'm not a gadgets type of rider so I just use a snaffle that fits and a loose noseband. I let the training do the rest. Her tongue was just too fat for a standard French link so I went with the Myler and Dynamic that allow for more tongue room. I like bauchers for horses who like stability and a quiet bit.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Wouldn't take much weight? Could be what I'm looking for! haha... On a serious note- Thanks for the review. I don't know what he likes/doesn't like or if he even notices since I've not been riding him long and haven't experimented. I can speculate a little though... I would love to find something that he respects a little more and won't haul me around in that will make him more supple in the throatlatch and poll. And that isn't always the double. Doesn't sound like too much to ask for.... right? haha... ha. ha.

I should specify I used the Myler 02 Comfort Snaffle in baucher style as I know there are different mouthpieces!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Like this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/330838297531...84.m1423.l2649

How do you feel about the sizing? The horse I ride needs at least a 5.5"... this ad states it's 5" but with it laying by the ruler and the curve I know they have to them then....?

I honestly think there's way more going on than a bitting issue here. You may find that posting your problems over in the French thread will get you some VERY helpful responses.

He sounds like he needs to learn how to carry himself, and listen to his riders core instead of relying on the bridle. It sounds like you want to help him achieve that goal, but I assure you, the bit doesn't matter.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    I honestly think there's way more going on than a bitting issue here. You may find that posting your problems over in the French thread will get you some VERY helpful responses.

He sounds like he needs to learn how to carry himself, and listen to his riders core instead of relying on the bridle. It sounds like you want to help him achieve that goal, but I assure you, the bit doesn't matter.
    I don't know the op or the horse, but I would suspect you are correct.

I do disagree (sort of) that the bit doesn't matter. My mare, ridden in a french link eggbutt is an entirely different ride when she is ridden in her french link baucher. The bits have the EXACT same mouthpiece and are the same brand. Same bridle, same rider, completely different ride. In the baucher she seeks contact and is light, in the eggbutt she is heavier and stiffer. Have tried a number of different bits, and that is what she goes best in.

OP, lots of people like the Myler bits, but I personally haven't found one that didn't pinch.
    Last edited by Thoroughbred in Color; Dec. 2, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Mylers run large because you are supposed to have space on the side of the bit. Also, this is not an MB02. It looks like an MB04. If you want to try a myler, there are Myler bit rental programs. You get to try it for a week, then return if you don't like it. I have had great luck with Horse, Rider, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WarumNicht View Post
    Like this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/330838297531...84.m1423.l2649

How do you feel about the sizing? The horse I ride needs at least a 5.5"... this ad states it's 5" but with it laying by the ruler and the curve I know they have to them then....?

Yes, for sure he needs to learn to carry himself and work from behind. I'm not saying it's a "bitting issue" only, however, if I want to try to ride him in a snaffle I need to find one that he won't just run away with me in to even begin to address other issues. He is pretty good off the seat but tough to the left and lays on the left leg. His first response to everything- trying to move him off the leg, deep footing, anything, is just to surge forward through your hand. If I just put him in a bit that he completely takes over with and doesn't respect and I can't get him to stop then I'm not really accomplishing anything. His owner thinks I'm a bit crazy for even wanting to test it as she tried and says he gets a "gleam in his eye" when he sees you walking towards him with a snaffle but I guess I want to learn it on my own. He's 14 and about 1500lbs with a big ole stallion neck and has quite successfully competed PSG. He's also the bully in the pasture and when new people get on he also tries to test them to see what he can get away with- and it's all things to avoid working harder. Every horse is different with their own personality types and I think that greatly affects how they are in the bridle and in the contact even with spot on perfect training. Not every horse will give you the same feel because they're all individuals- This guy enjoys his nickname of "King Kong" so I'm just hoping to find a way that involves just a snaffle to get Mr. Kong to want to work a little for me here and there without dragging me around.

Sounds like I maybe need to try a french link baucher. Perhaps the combination of the mouthpiece and the slight leverage action will help. I did enjoy it on my horse that I had that was tough in the bridle (though in hindsight after this guy maybe he wasn't all that tough...!). I just thought maybe the myler could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by WarumNicht View Post
    Sounds like I maybe need to try a french link baucher. Perhaps the combination of the mouthpiece and the slight leverage action will help. I did enjoy it on my horse that I had that was tough in the bridle (though in hindsight after this guy maybe he wasn't all that tough...!). I just thought maybe the myler could be interesting.
    oh my dear now you've stepped in it! stay tuned for the heartily debated "a baucher does/does not create leverage" argument!

I just wanted to make mention of the Myler mouth pieces, having experimented with almost all of the "dressage legal" options. My guy is so much happier in Myler bits in general (he has a big fleshy mouth and a thick tongue), but is happiest of all in his "02" mouth loose ring snaffle. This mouth piece has a shorter barrel in the middle and is a little harder to find than the "01" mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by duecavalle View Post
    oh my dear now you've stepped in it! stay tuned for the heartily debated "a baucher does/does not create leverage" argument!

I just wanted to make mention of the Myler mouth pieces, having experimented with almost all of the "dressage legal" options. My guy is so much happier in Myler bits in general (he has a big fleshy mouth and a thick tongue), but is happiest of all in his "02" mouth loose ring snaffle. This mouth piece has a shorter barrel in the middle and is a little harder to find than the "01" mouth.
    I would try a bigger port for more tongue relief. A bit does matter to a horse. It is comfortable or not. A port allows a horse to move its tongue and swallow. If you have to show in your legal double anyway, why not train in something the horse likes?

We are schooling second level, so he's not in the double bridle.

I don't think my horse was necessarily seeking tongue relief, but I do believe by the actions he's shown me that he was uncomfortable in his traditional bits (KK snaffles and the like with a fatter mouth and no curve). Every horse is different, my guy also has a very low palate. What works for mine won't work for another, but I chimed in hoping my experience with Myler might help the OP.

For the record, I completely disagree with your statement "a bit does not matter to a horse". IME it absolutely does.