The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Melton shopping help needed

I've tried the usual websites and places, but I cannot find what I am looking for, which is a mid weight Melton Tailored Sportsman Ladies hunt coat.....in navy! Talked to Middleburg Tack Exchange yesterday, and was told the navy ones are only occasionally available, they had three but they were snapped up the same day they came in.

I'm looking for a size 16 reg or long. I know they exist because I just tried one on that another hunt member was wearing.

We are allowed to wear navy as well as black in our hunt, and I've long wanted a navy one. I know Horse Country has new navy meltons, but had hoped to not have to mortgage the farm to buy one. I don't think the Tailored Sportsmans are quite as dear and am so desperate now I would spring for a new one, but I can't find one. My Google search was unsuccessful, so I thought I would appeal to the collective shopping expertise of COTH BB.

If anyone knows of where I might get one, I would be eternally grateful!!

(I viewed a gorgeous red fox hunting this morning and Tallyhoed him! So great!!!!!)

Question: Have you tried on the TS jacket in black so you know that it works for you? I ask because if you are tall, or have a long torso, Horse Country's Larrabee in stretch Navy may be a more flattering fit and worth the extra money (and is available now) If you're average height and torso, their midweight navy melton, the Ox Ridge is only $495 and having seen both there is really no comparison. TS is basically a show coat with a slightly heavier wool. If compared to Horse Country's it would be considered a light weight. Depending on where you hunt you may want a true midweight. As for the construction, the Ox Ridge is also far superior. Hunt clothing, like hunting tack, never goes out of style and so investing in the best quality you can afford because you'll have the coat forever is always the best thing to do.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Question: Have you tried on the TS jacket in black so you know that it works for you? I ask because if you are tall, or have a long torso, Horse Country's Larrabee in stretch Navy may be a more flattering fit and worth the extra money (and is available now) If you're average height and torso, their midweight navy melton, the Ox Ridge is only $495 and having seen both there is really no comparison. TS is basically a show coat with a slightly heavier wool. If compared to Horse Country's it would be considered a light weight. Depending on where you hunt you may want a true midweight. As for the construction, the Ox Ridge is also far superior. Hunt clothing, like hunting tack, never goes out of style and so investing in the best quality you can afford because you'll have the coat forever is always the best thing to do.
    Thanks, Kryswyn, yes I have tried on the TS Melton , and found it fit well and thougt it was a good weight for NC hunting.

When you say "there is no comparison", did you mean between the TS and the Horse Country ones, or the Ox Ridge and the Larrabee?

I know what you are saying about quality, it is tempting!

Between the TS and any Horse Country coat. Also the TS are, IMHO, not cut as long as a hunt jacket should be.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Thanks, Kryswyn, I agree, longer is better! The more my butt is covered, the better!

It is well worth it to invest in a nice quality hunt coat. The white shirts and stocks underneath can be less expensive but the drape and fit of a great hunt coat is the best feeling in the world!

I have a HC mid-weight Melton and it was worth every penny. My light weight hunt for many seasons has been a TS hunt coat. It has been a nice and correct coat but I just ordered a light weight hunt coat from HC which should arrive this week. Kryswyn is exactly correct- my HC coat is a full 2" longer in the skirt than the TS coat. That extra two inches makes for a more elegant look if nothing else. HC has horrible photos on their website to show the coats, they do not do justice to the style and there are no rear views. If you can get your hand on a catalog that might be helpful.

Houndhill, just do it. You are worth it and will love it!!!

I agree, SLW, I have a beautiful vintage hacking jacket that feels wonderful, and I get many compliments on it.

So much of what I have to hunt in, I have been fortunate enough to have been given, or have bought wonderful things on consignment or from eBay. I once realized during a hunt that the only thing I had bought new, including all horse tack, was my underwear! And I guess shirt and stock tie.

I hear you Houndhill. The consignment shops must be great, we don't have them out here and eBay can be good but it's not like it was 10 years ago, or so it seems to me. 15 years ago I bought a pair of 15 year old Dehners. It must take three riders to wear out a pair of Dehners because mine are nowhere near "toast" and I wear them twice weekly from August to April.

Update...after phone calls to Dover, and to Tailored Sportsman, I was told they have not made navy Meltons since at least 2007. So guess I will be ordering from Horse Country, $495 plus $30 shipping, plus I think $100 to put colors on, yikes!! But at least I can consign current black Melton, which has shrunk in the closet over the summer (y'all know how that happens!)

I know what I will be asking Santa for Christmas!

Check out Saddlery Liquidators site. I bought two gorgeous Meltons from them. As I recall they were under $99 on sale. NICE coats!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

There is a new website - Hunting Shop UK, that sells excellent quality hunting attire on consignment. http://www.thehuntingshop.co.uk/

They also sell jewelry, whips, stirrup cups, etc.

A friend purchased a tweed, I purchased a stole, and I'm just about to purchase a beagling frock from them. It's easy to do from this side of the pond - no problems with conversion to pounds. The owner is fantastic to work with.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

Fantastic, JSwan!! Thank you so much!! Just in the nick of time!

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    Check out Saddlery Liquidators site. I bought two gorgeous Meltons from them. As I recall they were under $99 on sale. NICE coats!!
    I'll call them, couldnt find anything on their website, thanks!!

I have one. Send me a PM.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    I have one. Send me a PM.
    Thanks! I PMed you.

Update!

Thanks to COTH, I now have a gorgeous navy Melton, exactly what I wanted! It is at the tailor's having colors applied as I type, and I hope to wear it next week! I'll be styling'!!

Ah, the power of COTH!!