The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to me of tails: My mare's doesn't move

I bought my Clydesdale X pony last year as a 3 year old. I didn't notice right away but she never moves her tail when she moves. My saddle fitter noticed it while I was riding and though she was uncomfortable. It just hangs straight down, no lift, no swing...just straight down. It even gets stuck in her legs at the trot. The weird thing is even when she's happy, soft and round there is still no tail movement. So I went back and watched videos of her the day I got her. She had never been backed and even big fancy free trotting in her new herd there is no tail movement! It's not clamped tight...just straight down. I've had a massage therapist look at her and everything feels fine. She can lift it to poop and swat flies. My vet wasn't concerned either and thought it was her low set tail. Anyone experienced this? Will I get faults for not having a big swinging tail down the road? She scored 69% at Intro under two different judges this summer but will it affect her down the road if they see her tail as tension? Any ideas about cause? Is it just her?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

i think as she develops a topline and hindquarters she will begin to carry her tail more..... so i wouldn't worry - yet.

if after a year of correct under saddle work she still has it hanging straight down - i would start to ask questions....

Sounds like she had her tail done.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CGC421 View Post
    Thinking that too.

Interesting! She was a pasture baby at her breeders and was essentially unhandled when I got her. I can't imagine they would cut her tail but anything is possible. Could an injury cause this too?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Quote Originally Posted by CGC421 View Post
    But could she still swish flies and what not? I've heard of QH's having that done but have not seen it. (thankfully)
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

We had a QH that had her tail done and she couldn't move it to swish flies, poop, or pee. It was a nasty mess (and my job to wash it everyday). It doesn't sound like that's the case with this mare.

If your vet isn't worried about it, I wouldn't be either. That might just be the way she is. You got lucky! No tail wringing hysterics in the middle of your dressage tests!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

2 members found this post helpful.

We have two ASB/X, and the neighbor has a TWH/X. Both ours are very expressive with their tails, probably enough to get into trouble in dressage, while the neighbors' TWH is vey quiet with her tail, and the X will flag hers when excited and is more active with it in general.
    So I guess your answer is it depends on the horse.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

LOL! Unfortunately she is still quite capable of tail wringing hysterics on the rare occasion she gets upset! Not even an upside! LOL I will try to get a video. It's seriously arcs down between her legs and just sticks there when we trot! Maybe I should cut it short and see if that helps! It's like horses with too heavy fake tails how they stick between their legs!

the tail getting between the hind legs is a young horse thang... with correct training she should be fine....

Ok thank you!! She's still very green and JUST learning how to use herself. Her movement is definitely not big and swinging yet. I was hoping it would come in time but I started to get worried! Just want to make sure I'm not missing something! Thank you!

When I got my horse he didn't move his tail when working. It would wrap around each hind leg as he was moving forward at the trot, and just seemed odd.

As he learned to relax and move his back, sure enough, he started using a more typical tail carriage.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I feel so much better!! Phew!! I was worried she was uncomfortable! She doesn't seem like it but she's such a good girl. We are going to be pitting shoes on her in the spring as she seems tender-footed. I'm currently using Keratex Hoof Hardener and it really helped her desire to go forward. I am happy others have had this and it resolved with correct work! Yay!

UPDATE! This is too funny!! After thinking about how her tail getting caught between her legs constantly reminded me of a horse with a fake tail I wondered if perhaps her tail was too long. I decided what the hell and took a gander. Her tail was almost on the ground. So I hacked off 5" to right above the fetlock. I rode today and NO TAIL STICKING!! It swung nicely behind her!! Yesterday it was getting stuck and flipping up to touch her belly! Fingers crossed today wasn't a fluke and perhaps her tail was just too long!! A good thing to check for anyone experiencing this problem!