The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy why won't my truck sell? anything i can do to make it happen?

i'm in new england so there is rust, but not overwhelming and certainly appropriate for it's age and milage.
    i have it advertised on craigslist and equinesite.com, figuring a local person will want it.
    the pics are good, i'm honest about condition and issues, and since i'm the original owner and driver there isn't a lot of unknown stuff about it.

i really need it to be sold so i can move forward with other projects, and know it is going to make someone very happy, but how? i've never sold a vehicle before and apparently there's more to it than i realised!

i don't want to upset the mods by describing it in detail, but according to many it's a very desirable truck engine and style for hauling.
    i have it priced below book also.

I've sold two trucks privately. Say in your ads "One owner" and "All service records available". List extras like trailer hitch, running boards, heavy-duty wiring, etc. if applicable.

I also advertised on kijiji for my area (don't know if you have that in the U.S.), and truck trader.

If selling 'as is' be sure to state that in the ad and on your receipt -- two copies, signed by both parties; one for you, one for buyer. Do not accept a cheque. Cash or bank draft only. Take the plates off your truck after the buyer has test driven, or follow the new owner to the license office, and take the plates off in the parking lot there.

If you get to the point that you REALLY need it gone, you can always take it to a couple of dealers, both big and small. They will buy your truck, but for less than what you are probably asking now.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Default Condition and "issues"

If you are being honest about condition and issues, and you are still looking at it this time of year, then your price is too high.

We sell about 100 trucks a year, usually quickly. We have the experience to price them fairly and get them gone.

Take it to a local dealer that sells the same sort of truck, find out what he'd give you for it. Take your truck home, add $1000 and you'll find it gone pretty quick.

5 members found this post helpful.

We bought ours on the first day the guy listed it at a lower price. I booked it and he had high blue booked it, and it wasn't quite a high blue book vehicle if you know what I mean - too many miles, etc. His second price was more fair, we thought.

He sold it as-is, we met him at his bank and paid off his note on the vehicle, then paid the remainder in cash once we had gone to the DMV with him and transferred the paperwork. We changed to farm plates too.

Look up all the trucks for sale of your type in your area and see how many there are and how yours compares, then adjust your price accordingly if you really want to get rid of it. Dealers will buy it but they take a pretty big chunk off.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    If you are being honest about condition and issues, and you are still looking at it this time of year, then your price is too high.

We sell about 100 trucks a year, usually quickly. We have the experience to price them fairly and get them gone.

Take it to a local dealer that sells the same sort of truck, find out what he'd give you for it. Take your truck home, add $1000 and you'll find it gone pretty quick.
    Good advice here. I recently sold a car via CL and it was a PITA. It got a lot of interest, but the offers I was getting were lower than I was hoping for. I reduced the price and it was gone in a flash. Sure, I wish I had gotten more for it, but the used car/truck market is a crap shoot.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Good advice here. I recently sold a car via CL and it was a PITA. It got a lot of interest, but the offers I was getting were lower than I was hoping for. I reduced the price and it was gone in a flash. Sure, I wish I had gotten more for it, but the used car/truck market is a crap shoot.
    make sure it's listed where folks in ct, ny and nj can see it. The used car market here has gone crazy because of sandy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Absolutely get the paperwork transferred at the DMV office nearby. Keep your plates! Or follow them home and remove the plates when you leave. In our State, if you have not transferred the paperwork to new owner with signatures, YOU are liable for any problem caused by your vehicle. Included are things like parking tickets, getting towed, accidents, especially if the plates are in YOUR name.

I sold my old dually, and went to the DMV with new owner to transfer everything. He had a fine from another vehicle, unpaid, on his Drivers Liscense that had to be paid off before they would do the transfer. He had to borrow money from his friend, to get the whole deal paid for, because of the extra charges. I had already gotten my money as cash, before going to the DMV. His getting a temporary plate to get home was NOT my problem.

It took about 2 months for me to sell my little Nissan on Craiglist. Here is a trick too. If you log into your account on CL you can see everything you have posted. You can renew your ad and bring your ad back to the top. Most people won't go past a certain date or the first few on the page. So be sure to renew your ad so it jumps to the most current listing. It could be that people simply aren't seeing it.

I had a rather unorthodox method of truck selling, lol. In a sugar induced fit of silliness, I finally sold my truck after weeks of trying and getting NO interest at all, by re-titling the ad something like "FLIPPIN AWESOME TRUCK" and using 'sweet', 'cool', and 'awesome' liberally. Truck sold that day, believe it or not .

lol, ok i'll rewrite my ad, that may work!
    and advertising in storm damaged areas is a good idea, but how will a potential buyer come see the truck way up north here?
    i'm a good five plus hours north of nyc, further from the jersey shore and long island.
    maybe i need to get it nearer to those areas somehow. anyone in the area wanna commission for selling my truck?!
    i wholeheartedly wish i could gift it to a horse person who has lost theirs, but i need to pay off the loan on the new rig with the proceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    i have it advertised on craigslist and equinesite.com,
    List it on a site that specializes in what you are selling like; http://www.trucktrader.com/
    There are vehicle transport companies that will hold the buyers payment in escrow until the truck is delivered and inspected by buyer. https://www.escrow.com/solutions/vehicle/index.asp
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Also autotrader.com
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

My first guess is that you have it overpriced. Most serious shoppers know what a given truck is selling for. I find the NADA data base more helpful that Kelley.

I think you need to price it fairly and then expect the Baby Book blow-by-blow folder of paperwork documenting every repair to seal the deal. But they have to be willing to come out, see the truck and like you as a reasonable person first.

And do you have enough pictures with the truck clean inside and out? A minor one or two to add: A picture showing milage on the odometer and tread on one tire. I assume that the seller isn't lying about mileage, but when I see one offering me a verification of what he's said, I know he's interested in a serious buyer.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Search for vehicles within 100 miles of you, same make/model and compare what their advertising prices are. Also look at your truck's realistic KBB value.

Of course do a lot of homework on craigslist and bluebook and all that to find out exactly what your truck is worth - what people are buying the same like truck for and then maybe make yours $100 cheaper to draw attention. Next, do you have any friends or relatives in a high traffic auto place you can leave it with a For Sale sign?

We just sold our 2000 F150 in a week. We did a lot of searching and found that it would be worth like $12000 if it was MINT. But we used it as a farm truck. So with its dents and little specks of this and that and the number of miles - the same truck is being sold for like $3000-4500 ish. Cleaned up - it looked really pretty though - it was either an eddie bauer or lariat or something where it had a little added luxury to the cab and all that.

And then we placed it in front of a relative's auto repair shop with a For Sale sign on it. So many people were at the repair shop daily - and a lot of them are thinking - GOSH I need a new car..... and HEY there is a pretty F150 sitting there......

If the truck is 4WD, you might want to add that you've never used it for plowing (assuming that you've never used it for plowing, obviously. )

Keep in mind that there are some economic reasons why used trucks won't move quite as quickly as they did last for the past couple years:
    1) The cash for clunkers incentive program early in the recession sent a whole lot of old trucks to the scrap yard. Therefore, the supply of older used trucks dried up for a while. That situation has changed now that the next generation of trucks has aged to the point where people are unloading them.
    2) Gas prices are unstable. People who are truly counting their pennies are looking for fuel efficient vehicles.
    3) New England hasn't been hit as hard as other regions by the recession. More people can afford to buy new.

How much are you asking for it? And what year is it? Would it be worth more in parts or in one piece? What is the value of the metal (this is the last resort but at least it will be out of your driveway and you will have a 'few' dollars for it)
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Suz, isn't your older truck a 7.3 diesel? List on some of the diesel forums.
    We sold our 1996 F250 7.3 last fall very quickly. We did take it to a local independent dealer. Asked $5K, took $4400 and dealer got 10% of the final price. He took care of the paperwork and the check was from him, not the customer. No rust, but it had 285K miles on it and did need some work.

It might be moving a bit slower due to the time of the year when price difference between gasoline and diesel gets wider. More of the diesel is diverted for home
    heating fuel.

I would change your ad to say: Never been flooded, not a Sandy damaged truck, just a nice dependable using truck. Etc.

Many hurricane / storm damaged vehicles are on the market right now. Also they are being fixed and shipped elsewhere in the country.

If your truck is below blue book that could be a red flag that something is wrong with it like it was flooded in Sandy. Put it right at or a tad above bluebook, that way you can drop it if the buyer makes an offer. If you are in the NE area, then everybody is suspicious right now on flooded cars and truck. Also, people are buying new vehicles, so less used are out there being bought.

I would definitely get the ad to say NOT A HURRICANE SANDY TRUCK. Need to sell because (then put a SHORT why).

I live in da south, so I know about weather damaged vehicles being hard to sell. Also my dad was in the insurance business, and he told me stuff. You would be surprised what people who are motivated down the line do with flooded cars in the resale market. One time, oh my I digress, somebody was murdered in this new NEW trans-am, left to rot for a few months. They cleaned that car up and sold it. My dad said the smell was horrible, not to mention all the maggots. Ok, moving on to the "post quick reply" button . . .