The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up CWD Customer Service; An Incredible Experience!

Im posting this thread because I am still in awe from the service I have gotten from them in the last couple of weeks. I have never trusted a saddle company as much as I have now. Here is my story.

I received my new saddle in the mail during the first week of Oct. I ordered the SE02 17'' 2C Medium Tree Extra Extra Dark Brown. The saddle seemed flawless and beautiful as it could ever be. I conditioned it a couple of times before I rode in it for the first time. I rode in the saddle about 10 times. I only lightly soaped it 2-3 times because I only ride in it once or twice a week and it just didn't need more than a little conditioner. So after I rode in it a couple more times, I did a heavy duty soaping and saw a yellowish color all over areas of the saddle flaps! I was really freaked out! The color went back to normal once it had dried which was really really weird! So after I saw this, I called my rep and had her come out to see it. After seeing it, we both agreed that something was very odd about the dye. Something was obviously not correct. So she told me that she would talk to the manager in CA and would get back to me about what they will do to fix it.

24 hours later, my rep called me and told me that they are going to make me a new saddle because they have no idea why it is doing this yellowish color thing when it is wet. I felt extremely satisfied with how they handled this problem so quickly. I got the help I needed and the company was willing to go out of there way to fix the problem. I feel very satisfied with my purchase and will never buy a new saddle from another company again.

After years of buying multiple saddles from County that didn't fit properly, I feel like I have finally found a company that really wants to help me with whatever problem I might have with their saddles.

5 members found this post helpful.

I am super super glad they stood behind the saddle. More than slightly dismayed that a clearly defective dye job went out the door?! But at least they're doing the right thing. I assume they gave you a demo/loaner to ride in until your replacement new saddle is done and delivered?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Yeah. I can see why it was missed before it was sent. The saddle looks completely normal until you put water on it.

That's worrying. They don't dye saddles individually, I don't think. They dye leather by lots. Which means... there could be lots of other saddles with the issue. I'm really surprised there's not more quality control going on to stop this from going out the door... for what those saddles cost!!?? But at least they're standing behind the product!!!
    ~Veronica

3 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    That's worrying. They don't dye saddles individually, I don't think. They dye leather by lots. Which means... there could be lots of other saddles with the issue. I'm really surprised there's not more quality control going on to stop this from going out the door... for what those saddles cost!!?? But at least they're standing behind the product!!!
    I agree with you on both of your points- worrying if this is a more widespread issue than what's going on with your saddle (and hopefully it isn't,) but A+ to CWD for standing behind the product! My sister has a CWD and was equally complimentary about their customer service when buying hers.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Here's hoping the second saddle fits as well as the first... there seems to be a lot of variability in what is made vs what is ordered. Don't ask me how I know.

Definitely hang on to your first saddle until the new one comes in and you have ensured that it fits properly.

I don't understand why you got thumbs down for that... that's a really good point!

I understand the OP wants to spread the word about a great customer service, but I'm pretty sure they were so quick at remaking a saddle so that the rumor wouldn't spread about defective saddles being delivered.
    So despite the title, this might not be such great thread for CWD.
    Seems like the rep did a great job though, by providing real after sale service. Sometimes they just give you the office number and you have to deal with it since the rep has already gotten the commission on the sale.

And as other posters said, I'd also wait until the new saddle arrives to call it an "incredible experience"...

The CWD I ride in(it's owned by the barn) does this same thing. It always goes back to normal when it dries. It was purchased last spring. And another boarders much older CWD does it as well.

At PassionForSaddles: or perhaps they just have really good customer service? People on this forum are never satisfied! Customer service is slow, everyone complains; customer service is excellent, people other than the OP find some way to knock it.

I've had very good experiences with CWD, even when a saddle didn't fit due to human error on the ordering party's part, nothing to do with the rep who was conducting the sale, and they made and sent me a new saddle to replace the one that didn't fit. I didn't need a loaner as I already had one saddle, and as I've said on other threads, I love both of my CWDs.

3 members found this post helpful.

I dunno... GREAT customer service in my book= great products and great support of those products. This is a 50/50 in my book. Great support by CWD and the rep who swooped in to make it right... but poor product because it got out the door in a defective manner and now the OP has to wait around for a new saddle to be made while either riding in a demo or a saddle that may be leaching dye.

Excellent customer service, IMHO, would be that CWD sold the OP a saddle which was in every way functional out of the box and then continued to follow up with her to make sure she was a happy customer.

They're doing the right thing, and that's fantastic. But they goofed. That saddle shouldn't have gone out. Period. Especially because, if the other poster are correct, this isn't an isolated problem?!
    ~Veronica

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    At PassionForSaddles: or perhaps they just have really good customer service? People on this forum are never satisfied! Customer service is slow, everyone complains; customer service is excellent, people other than the OP find some way to knock it.
    Absolutely, and I never said they have bad customer service. I guess what I mean is I would just wait until the experience is over and the issue is fixed to call it an "incredible experience", that's all.

I just ordered a new CWD in November and am awaiting it's arrival. Now I'm unsure as to whether the discoloring of the leather is normal or a defect (based on the posts above)....guess I'll have to wait and see.

What kind of leather is it? Supposedly some buffalo leather (regardless of brand) will briefly "turn" a lighter color when in contact with water, but go back to the normal color once dried.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Sorry I didn't say that the leather I bought was grain. It was a bright yellow color. It wasn't just a lightened brown.

Is the dye coming off? Like you can see dye in the water/on the sponge?
    ~Veronica

Is the dye coming off? Like you can see dye in the water/on the sponge?
    When I used a new sponge, it did when I used water and soap on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    When I used a new sponge, it did when I used water and soap on it.
    Yeah, that ain't normal. I am glad they're replacing the saddle for you. In the meantime I wouldn't use light colors saddle pads/breeches for fear they'd stain.
    ~Veronica