The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trick to tightening girth from in the saddle?!

Does anybody have any suggestions for how to tighten a dressage girth while in the saddle?
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Move your leg and reach really far down. Gloves get in the way.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

Move your leg back and reach down with your two hands at the girth in front of your leg.

I see a lot of people trying to tighten their girth like in a jumping saddle ie putting the leg forward and trying to reach behind their leg. Nearly impossible to do.

2 members found this post helpful.

I think I need longer arms then, or a longer girth, or both. I couldn't reach my girth while in the saddle, and when I tried I felt like I was going to tumble off over Skye's shoulder.

Speaking of girth length, how long should a girth be, as in how high should it come to in relation to everything else?
    The Blog

Put your weight on your outside stirrup and turn your bum to the outside and a bit out of the saddle. You should feel more balanced.

The girth buckels shouldn't interfere with the elbow of your horse, so make sure it is over. A horse that wears a 48-50 jumping girth usually goes well in a 24-26 dressage girth. But it depends on the saddle flaps, billets and elastics of the girth.

First, practice touching your toes in the saddle.

Once you are comfortable with that position, (to shorten on the right side) shift your weight into your left stirrup, hold on to the mane (and reins) with your left hand.

Move your right leg back slightly, and reach down with your right hand to grab the billett.

Once I got the hang of it, I actually find it easier than a jumping saddle.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

There you go. The girth is really within reach, but you're balance makes it feel miles away. If you can reach down and grab toe you'll be able to grab girth.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Move your leg back and reach down with your two hands at the girth in front of your leg.

I see a lot of people trying to tighten their girth like in a jumping saddle ie putting the leg forward and trying to reach behind their leg. Nearly impossible to do.
    This!! I only use one hand, but I was like, "WTF?!" for many months until I figured out how much easier it was if I moved my leg back instead.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

ask your trainer to do it lol!

which is what i do when he is around - when i am on my own i hang off the side of my horse - being short it is usually quite the feat

2 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    I think I need longer arms then, or a longer girth, or both. I couldn't reach my girth while in the saddle, and when I tried I felt like I was going to tumble off over Skye's shoulder.

Speaking of girth length, how long should a girth be, as in how high should it come to in relation to everything else?
    I am SO with you! As a recent convert from HJ-land, I definitely feel like I need longer arms, LOL. However, I have found that the method that Janet describes works well.

My other "trick" was to get a slightly longer girth. My horse wore a 56" girth with his jumping saddle, and wears a 28" dressage.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I was watching my (very experienced) trainer tightening hers one day, when the saddle slipped, she went off and horse galloped all over the property with it hanging off his ribs. Fortunately all were ok, but I've not done it myself since then.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    I was watching my (very experienced) trainer tightening hers one day, when the saddle slipped, she went off and horse galloped all over the property with it hanging off his ribs. Fortunately all were ok, but I've not done it myself since then.
    I have visions of this every time I go to tighten the girth!
    The Blog

I have never had to tighten it once in the saddle - perhaps you should walk your horse around a bit and tighten it before you get on - that's what we do.

Practice, practice...

I actually do move my leg forward, easier for me. Not sure about you though, you'll have to test the options and figure out. Then I reach down with one hand, grab one "strap", and pull upward. I use my pinkie finger to guide the buckle thing into the next hole up.

It takes some getting used to, but once you've learned how to it gets really easy. That's when you do it at the walk, the trot..the canter...

Put your weight in opposite stirrup, dangle off side of horse, pray he doesn't spook. Hurry.

5 members found this post helpful.

The trick of it is to use your finger to hold the pointy buckle thing still as you slide the billet through -that way the pointy buckle thing slips right into the next hole. So, don't let go of the pointy part.

The coolest girth I've ever used was the Australian tackaberry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlF4ZOdVSZY

It's on an aussie bareback saddle http://www.aussiesaddle.com/products...eback_pad.html
    and it's cool as heck. The way the levering works, you pull up on the strap from the saddle -it only goes one way so you won't lose the prong thing.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Bravestrom View Post
    I have never had to tighten it once in the saddle - perhaps you should walk your horse around a bit and tighten it before you get on - that's what we do.
    I think we all do that but, from my experience, it is quite common that the girth will need to be re-tighten once in the saddle, after few more laps of walk and trot.

Just the fact that you sit on the saddle; it will compress the panels, the saddle will drop down a little and you'll be half an inch or so less tight. I always check my girth after the first few trot laps.

Quote Originally Posted by WarumNicht View Post
    Put your weight in opposite stirrup, dangle off side of horse, pray he doesn't spook. Hurry.
    while i agree with "hurry" i don't but my weight in the other stirrup - instead i put my center of gravity as low as possible then lean over. i try to stay balanced over the center of the horse. i think i use my thighs a bit to stabilize - but as i said - i am short so i literally hang off the side of my horse - even on the pony too

so in sum: be quick - stay centered and keep your COG low...

and take pics! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    ask your trainer to do it lol!

which is what i do when he is around - when i am on my own i hang off the side of my horse - being short it is usually quite the feat
    I never let anyone tighten my girth, because too many want it way too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    I think we all do that but, from my experience, it is quite common that the girth will need to be re-tighten once in the saddle, after few more laps of walk and trot.

Just the fact that you sit on the saddle; it will compress the panels, the saddle will drop down a little and you'll be half an inch or so less tight. I always check my girth after the first few trot laps.
    This. It seems on any horse with any setup after a few minutes of riding I always have to thigten the girth at least a hole.
    The Blog