The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Saddle for Pony and Adult Rider

Hello Everyone,
    I know there have been past threads on this but I am struggling to find a long term saddle option for my 14hh German Riding Pony stallion. We have been working in a Wintec which has fit great, but not so comfortable for the rider as we move up the levels. He is quite short coupled, which is the challenge.

Any ideas? Do any of the pony dressage saddles tend to fit small adults. 5'4" to 5'5"? Any ideas are welcome. TIA
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

Why not try the Trilogy Debbie Special with short flaps? I'm 5' 4" with a long femur and my 14 3 Arabian mare (short, short coupled) at last found a comfortable ride with it. I'd been through so many other saddles that paying for custom was worth it.

Plenty of threads on this ... anything with a non-gusseted upswept panel. Roosli, Spirig, Prestige, Harry Dabbs, Jaguar, L'Apogee, etc.

The problem is that most saddles like this also have a scoopy tree, so if your pony has less scoop to his back, they will not fit. (This has been my challenge on my small short-coupled mare.) Roosli & Spirig are flatter than the others listed, L'Apogee slightly more shaped, the others pretty scoopy.

I heard that Custom recently came out with a "pony panel" option. Don't know anything first-hand.

Also Passier has the Compact, which I would be interested in seeing first-hand - although the Passier seats tend to be too hard for my taste.

AFA true pony saddles, the Stubben Juventus comes in a 17" and so does the Prestige Lucky.

Your best bet is probably to take pictures & wither/spine tracings and send them to the reputable tack shops of your choice.

Happy shopping!
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

1 members found this post helpful.

For my short-backed stout section C gelding I use a 16.5 inch Passier GG which is an extra wide. I purchased it this year as we were doing second level (we both are much happier). I am only 5'2" and find the flap length perfect for me.

For my very, very stout, beer-keg shaped half GRP with a relatively short back, I use the equivalent of a Trilogy (by that I mean it's the exact same manufacturer and very close in style just not made for the Trilogy label). It's an extra wide (really extra wide) 17 inch Cardanel. It does not fit my other horses but it is the only saddle that fits her and allows her the shoulder freedom she needs without sliding side to side or moving forward up over her withers. Flap length is fine for me though I prefer the style of the Passier (less knee thy roll than the Cardanel Profile).

On my other ponies and cobs I'm still using my collection of Neidersuss saddles.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    Plenty of threads on this ... anything with a non-gusseted upswept panel. Roosli, Spirig, Prestige, Harry Dabbs, Jaguar, L'Apogee, etc.

The problem is that most saddles like this also have a scoopy tree, so if your pony has less scoop to his back, they will not fit. (This has been my challenge on my small short-coupled mare.) Roosli & Spirig are flatter than the others listed, L'Apogee slightly more shaped, the others pretty scoopy.
    Hey, I never stopped to think that this is probably why my short-backed 14.3 hand Paint goes best in the ancient Spirig I bought from my trainer.

For me (I'm 5'1"), the Spirig works okay, but I've yet to ride in a saddle that truly allows my leg to hang right without fighting a stirrup bar placement that is too far forward. I'd love to try a Trilogy someday. . .when I win the lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrcltr View Post
    Hey, I never stopped to think that this is probably why my short-backed 14.3 hand Paint goes best in the ancient Spirig I bought from my trainer.

For me (I'm 5'1"), the Spirig works okay, but I've yet to ride in a saddle that truly allows my leg to hang right without fighting a stirrup bar placement that is too far forward. I'd love to try a Trilogy someday. . .when I win the lottery.
    Try putting a martingale stop on the stirrup bar in front of the leather
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I know they're not as known in dressage circles, but try Black Country. They have a ton of options, so they can fit almost anything. They were the only ones to have something to work for both my 14/14.1 pony and my 5.4"/5.5" self. There are places like Trumbull Mountain that will fit long distance if no one local to you carries them.

Also, I love your pony. When I was insane and considering breeding my pony he was on my short list. Then I regained my sanity

I ended up with a used Schleese JES with shorter panels in 17". Works great! Definitely the key is the shorter panels. She needed panels 18" or less to make sure the saddle didn't go past her ribs onto her lumbar. She also needed flat panels as her back is pretty flat. It was quite the headache to find one that we both liked but it was worth it! I used a saddle fitter who travels with used saddles and she came out and we ran the saddle gauntlet. She was very opinionated about any saddle that was too long!

ETA: She is 13.2 and very short backed. I am 5'6". Also I just saw this saddle is for Burberry!! I love him and if I decide to breed her ever he is on the top of my list!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

My short-backed 15 hand GRP loves his 17.5" Stubben Genesis. The non-gusseted upswept panels insure that the saddle isn't too long for his back. I love how little padding the saddle has, especially as we work to get past 4th level, but it might not be a saddle for everyone. You are 4-5 inches taller than I am so the Stubben will definitely work for you if you decide you like that type of a ride. FWIW, the Trilogy's were too long for him.

I ride my pony in a Devoucoux Makila (monoflap)--it seems to fit MOST of my ponies.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    I know they're not as known in dressage circles, but try Black Country. They have a ton of options, so they can fit almost anything. They were the only ones to have something to work for both my 14/14.1 pony and my 5.4"/5.5" self. There are places like Trumbull Mountain that will fit long distance if no one local to you carries them.

Also, I love your pony. When I was insane and considering breeding my pony he was on my short list. Then I regained my sanity
    I have Black Country Saddles (Eloquenc X dressage and Quantum X close contact) that have hoop trees and upswept panels that fit my Arabians (heights range from 14.0H -15.3H). Black Country has also recently introduced a saddle designed for Icelandic horses that may be suitable for some dressage riders on smaller mounts. Black Country offers many options on panels, trees, flaps, leather, etc. most at no additional cost over off the shelf models and has a rather quick order fulfillment on customized saddles. (I received all of my saddles in 5 weeks or less from the order dates!)

Black Country Saddles

For some info on the saddle fitting team formerly of TMT check HERE and HERE

I have a 17" Schleese JES that I bought second hand from ebay that fits my 13.3h GRP mare wonderfully.

My 15h GRP mare wears either the Schleese JES or an older 17" Crosby dressage saddle that I found on CL (depending on where her muscling is at any point).

My 15h QH who has the shortest back of the three wears a 17.5" Schleese Elite, with banana panels for the "minimally backed"

I really have liked the Schleese's for my ponies. They seem to fit the most securely and my ponies go happiest in them.

My top of the line TB/Welsh large pony has a 17" Albion SLK LH NS with short flaps that fits him well. I tried a Stubben Juventus on him, but it was much too curvy for his back. I'm only 5'4" with a long inseam (long lower leg) and the Juventus was also odd for me to try to sit in properly. Black Countrys seemed to consume him, but maybe I didn't look at the right kind of options for a pony. Kent and Masters has some models that could work well for a pony too. My friend's 15hh Morgan mare goes in a Steffen Peters Custom saddle.

Just a thought- if the Wintec works well, why not look into a Bates version of the saddle?
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

The Balance Saddle company sells pony saddles. You might check with them.

My short backed Arab does well in Stubbens. I have an old Aramis for dressage and it fits him beautifully. I'm 5'5". I have a couple other models as well and they are all okay on him without looking like they're going to swallow him whole.

He's one to have bucking fits if he seems a piece of tack uncomfortable or too long.

Another vote for Stubben here. I use the Genesis D Special with no knee roll and short billets and love how it fits my very short coupled opinionated ones.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions and your kind words about Burberry! I am off doing my homework now...Thanks again!
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry