The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

why are you folks doing this? what does it serve besides your egos?

9 members found this post helpful.

Haven't you ever read Lord of the Files, mbm?

Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

4 members found this post helpful.

It's far worse to enable and/or help someone learn new ways to destroy animals they've ruined. Or to ignore it. Or to support the behavior.

It's not an ego issue. But it is often called an ego issue, mean, power trip, bullying, etc by those who it may hit home with.

Those who tend to embellish accomplishments or lifestyles as well as those who hide or polish neglect often become vehement when they recognize their own tendencies for subterfuge in someone else when that person is found to be less than truthful.

It's an equine BB...that means it's also for the good of the animals as well as an information center for the humans. Ignoring this level of neglect to the animal as well as the very poor marketing tactics of advertising it for sale in that condition...not something that should be overlooked or condoned by omission.

We always say we should police ourselves. This is the same as walking away at a show or a barn after seeing neglect, abuse or rule breaking...some folks will say something even if it makes others unhappy.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    why are you folks doing this? what does it serve besides your egos?
    You weren't around for the "Musical jumper" debacle, were you? This seems to be a little similar. Also, the TB breeder that starved people's mares (user name started with an "N"). There are some similarities, regarding posters not being who you thought, and them causing suffering to horses while posting to get sympathy/attention.

4 members found this post helpful.

Not to mention CHANTER ...
    Last edited by Nootka; Dec. 4, 2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Gave the wrong link
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

3 members found this post helpful.

Was musical Jumper the one whose horse was dead in the stall and had been starved because the girl didn't know better or was that someone else?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

^^ Yes.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    It's far worse to enable and/or help someone learn new ways to destroy animals they've ruined. Or to ignore it. Or to support the behavior.

It's not an ego issue. But it is often called an ego issue, mean, power trip, bullying, etc by those who it may hit home with.

Those who tend to embellish accomplishments or lifestyles as well as those who hide or polish neglect often become vehement when they recognize their own tendencies for subterfuge in someone else when that person is found to be less than truthful.

It's an equine BB...that means it's also for the good of the animals as well as an information center for the humans. Ignoring this level of neglect to the animal as well as the very poor marketing tactics of advertising it for sale in that condition...not something that should be overlooked or condoned by omission.

We always say we should police ourselves. This is the same as walking away at a show or a barn after seeing neglect, abuse or rule breaking...some folks will say something even if it makes others unhappy.
    there is a HUGE difference between helping/enabling someone do something illegal or immoral and trying to destroy someone online for no apparent reason other than that you can.

and it is so convenient to say that anyone that disagrees with you must be doing something to make them feel "guilty"

um. no. it is it the horror i feel watching you and other do this repeatedly.

if you are so concerned with this horse - adopt it. but what many of you are doing is disgusting and helps no one and no thing.

5 members found this post helpful.

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

I'd been lurking for some time before I registered, and i have noticed that everytime an alter posted something like this, their "real" handle was discovered in no time flat. Why do people not realize this?????
    J
    The funniest part is that most give themselves away by boasting of their prowess! As opposed to just the barest of facts, and an admitted c0ck up!

I guess some will never learn.

CFF

PS- Misty, "poor marketing tactics"? I'd call it out and out fraud!
    PPS- She's $750 on Horseville
    Last edited by CopperFoxFarm; Dec. 4, 2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling & ps

2 members found this post helpful.

She's adoptable for the one time price of $15,000 USD.

I don't want to destroy the horse's owner, online or in real life. I want her to realize that her standards of care are lacking to the extreme. She is negligent. She is not a good steward of those horses.

MBM, if you were in the market for a horse, would you want to know this breeder's practice of actively neglecting and misrepresenting her stock?

Don't answer that. You'll just skip round it anyway.

You can be as horrified by 'us' as you wish, mbm.

"We" will continue to be horrified by the profound neglect and rejection of reality that the horse's owner has shown over the course of this filly's- her product's- life.

19 members found this post helpful.

Not that anyone asked me, but I don't think the OP's regular screen name should have been posted on this thread. It should get this thread closed down however which may be the best course of action at this point.

11 members found this post helpful.

MBM, if this person was doing nothing wrong, no one would have felt the need to do anything about it.

If this poster had thought everything she was doing was on the up and up, do you really suppose she would have hidden behind an alter?

Why didn't she just post this under her own screen name?

Because she knew it was wrong.

If she had nothing to hide, why alter-up?

This is the internet. Use at your peril.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post

Oh, very appropriate! That is what has happened on this board. Sometimes, I feel we need to clean house.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post

By berating someone in a public manner such as this, and conducting all this research makes you appear obsessive, nothing else. If someone wants to really help this filly, they would use the information they gathered to quietly call animal control in the area. They would buy the filly, or help have the filly purchased.

No, what is going on here is bullying. It could very well be that the person you determined to be behind the screenname is really that person. It could also be that you are wrong.

It does not help that people on this board are well known for berating someone for merely a difference in management style, rather than actual neglect.

One of the points brought up on this board is the assumed 'lack of quality of life' due to the filly not being handled. The filly not being handled, in itself, does not affect her quality of life. She doesn't NEED to be handled to be 'happy'. She may not need the farrier - I know a few horses that are not in regular work and barely grow any foot and have perfect feet. My own filly came to me as a wild yearling with almost perfect feet, that had never been touched by a farrier.

It is an ego trip. People doing all this digging are making themselves feel better about their life and their worldview with attempts to paint the original poster worse and worse with every post. The worse they paint the poster, the better they feel about themselves. As stated before - if you want to really help the filly, help the filly. Quit talking and start doing.

Actually, I disagree. One of the reasons I keep coming here is that COTH has no tolerance for BS. It's a self policing community and it is good to know who to trust and who not to trust.

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Not that anyone asked me, but I don't think the OP's regular screen name should have been posted on this thread.
    I agree. Digging around on your own time because you secretly wish you had become a PI or because you are a major procrastinator *cough* who me? *cough* is one thing, but publicly outing someone who doesn't want to be outed is another. Don't be that person.

The filly needs to be PTS or properly trained and treated for UV ASAP. The end.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

8 members found this post helpful.

Why are her prices all over the place? 750-15k That is one expensive "mustang"

CFF-got a snapshot of it too ...
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Actually, I disagree. One of the reasons I keep coming here is that COTH has no tolerance for BS. It's a self policing community and it is good to know who to trust and who not to trust.
    What are you talking about? There is a LOT of tolerance for BS. It all depends on which poster it is from. I have seen a lot of tolerance for incorrect information from certain posters while others are berated for disagreeing with said posters. I was called a troll when I first came on these boards because I dared say something less than pleasant about an upper level event rider.

I have also had to stand up for friends on these boards when a simply question turns into facility bashing.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Poor little filly, euthanasia is the kindest thing and I have ZERO sympathy for you! Although, if she can't be caught, can't be examined how on earth do you know it's actually uveitis? And if you know it's uveitis for sure, how on earth could you let her have THREE untreated and painful episodes? And, because I'm fearing the worst, what on earth do her poor feet look like if a farrier can't get near her?
    This is what strikes me.

Filly has never been haltered.
    Filly has never had feet done.
    Filly has never had injections.
    Filly has never been in a chute or chute-like confined space.
    Filly is feral.

So exactly how did you come up with your diagnosis? My mare had an ulcer on her eye and the vet needed to see it real up close and personal, and peer into the eye with that tool they use with the light, not to mention have me applying ointments a gazillion times a day. Just exactly how did your vet examine this unhaltered feral three-year-old filly loose, out in a field? Did he look through binoculars and say, "Yep. Uveitis." How do you know what she has?

I'm probably wasting my breath, but even I, who have not raised 50 foals, know that if you separate a horse from its herd mates and spend time with it daily, it will become at least more trainable, and usually, attached to you as its only social contact. Since you describe her as wanting to be with her fellows, she is clearly capable of forming social connections.

Poor filly. My advice is to have your vet euthanize her, because your own description of your past treatment of this horse indicates it is unlikely you will do what needs to be done for the animal's own good.

If, on the other hand, you are truly concerned about this horse, then my advice is to put on your big girl panties, separate that poor horse from its friends and get a real, thorough vet exam. Sedate her, put her in a chute, whatever you need to do. If your vet is halfway competent, he will recommend his preferred way of examining a feral horse.

Then, if the vet determines she has a good prognosis for a sound and healthy life, treat the filly for her medical issues the way normal horse people do. That means using all the tools necessary, including drugs/sedation/medication, training, and hiring a professional to help you with aspects beyond your abilities, including halter training and breaking.

9 members found this post helpful.

PPS- She's $750 on Horseville
    Oh my. And Cleveland Bays are so rare, even a 1/4-bred filly is a find. I know where you can get a nice 8 y.o. CB/TB gelding at a reasonable price. He's green broke, but very sweet. And he can see.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    No, but I've seen "The Office" a few times.

6 members found this post helpful.

Default Well...I'm not sure about that

Self policing? Well, you bet, there are those who feel it is there job to police every poster, instead of answering a question.

Here's an example.

"I have a blind, nearly feral filly (admittedly my fault, never had one like that, don't know what to do). At this point, my best option is euthanasia, but I can't catch her. What do I do?"

Instead of an actually answer to her question, the COTH police spend hours figuring out who she is, telling her she is a piece of crap and it's all her fault and "outing" what may or may not be her filly's sales ad.

So. She came to a BB where apparently, she had hoped to find someone who had, for whatever reason, an uncatchable horse that needed, for it's own sake, to be PTS, and asked " How".

Not one of the local cops said "I don't care how long it takes or how much it costs, I'll come and get her and give her either a good home or a good end".

I swear, it's like listening to a bunch of people from PITA.
    And they're all carrying D&B purses.

And as for a zero BS tolerance policy? uhmnnnn, no. You need boots and a shovel for quite a bit of this stuff and apparently, many of them can't tell s**t from sarcasm.

A quiet "perhaps you should have not let this get to where it is" would have been sufficient. But noooooo, we've got to have the super sleuths uncovering all (now I'm posting this on my office computer. But I own the place, so I can do as I please) possibly they should be working, perhaps they too, do not have to answer to a boss, nor is it affecting their productivity.

Or shoot, maybe they are just screwing off at work, and will go home and take perfect care of their horses.

Do I think the OP did the right thing in not caring for the filly earlier? Yes, but when my husband had bypass surgery, I sent a horse to a local college, one to a boarding barn, and the two ponies went to an old PC trainer of mine. Are the ponies on a dirt lot now, that could be a bit more poop free? Yes. Do they get fly spray daily now? No, they stand nose to tail. Do they have a stall? No, a old run in shed that blocks the wind some and the rain mostly. The college horse is waaaaay toooo fattt on good grass, and when I saw him last his feet were a hot mess.

Is that how I do it? No. Are they wrong? According to the standards some apply, I'm horrible for being personally overwhelmed and rehoming horses I couldn't care for at home due to circumstances beyond my control at the time.

Perhaps there is more to her story. Might be a reason, not an excuse.

But can the stalking/outing/revealing just stop? If you don't like the question, or the person, there are plenty of other threads to contribute to, really, without looking for sale ads, other posts, alters, commonality, whatever.

It makes some of you look a little "teched in the head".
    Or creepy really.
    Last edited by 2ndyrgal; Dec. 4, 2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: I think she did the wrong thing with the filly at the beginning.