The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Sympathy.
    Empathy perhaps, but no sympathy here..

3 members found this post helpful.

Or attention, like a version of Munchausen's that affects horses. Or to assuage guilt. Or because they wanted to see what the board's reaction to euthanizing a blind filly would be (it has changed over the years).

Or the OP was drunk.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I offered free training ...

but the present owner of this filly is only interested in ... well, I've no idea really ...
    $750, 950, 1,000 or 15k ... DUH!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

4 members found this post helpful.

Ok Halteralter, I just figured out where you're actually located. You're only a little over an hour from me. I'm willing to reach out to you and help you in any way I can for the sake of this filly. If you're serious about needing advice and needing help then contact me and I will be there when ever you need me. I just want to see a good outcome or peaceful end for this filly.

26 members found this post helpful.

Your a good egg, HunterKid. I've always thought so.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

5 members found this post helpful.

FWIW, if halteralter98 = the individual suggested, I have friends that have products of her breeding program. They are nice horses, particularly if your discipline of choice is eventing.

3 members found this post helpful.

This thread has exploded, and I logged on after chores this morning fully expecting it to be shut down.

The fact that the OP hasn't posted since her other username was discovered it just another indicator that it actually is who was 'outed'.

I think that COTH is a great place for handing out reality checks. It's no nonsense, and if you are honest and forthright with your situations, people are wonderfully helpful (for the most part. ). It's when they feel like they are being lied to that things get nasty. Deservedly so.

If the ads are really for the filly in question, that is something that I would take a chance on, or another young rider looking for a reasonable project. It's misrepresentation. I'd be so beyond irritated if I ponied up the money for a PPE and it came back that the horse was blind. I don't see anything about it in her ads. IMO one less shady horse breeder the better.

I understand that the OP needs to get rid of her, she's failing her miserably. I'll happily take her and help her through her problems the RIGHT way, but I'm not paying for her.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

18 members found this post helpful.

Hunterkid and Superminion, you guys ROCK.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I'm not far either if you need assistance.

6 members found this post helpful.

See. Once the truth comes out, COTH is always willing to help. I hope this serves as a powerful lesson to the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

7 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I would put her down. It doesn't sound like her quality of life is that great, and if she completely goes blind, I have seen blind horses frustrated at being blind...

1 members found this post helpful.

Soooooo.....

In all the sleuthing, etc. does anyone know what ultimately happened to the filly? Whatever the case may be (treatment, rehoming w/treatment, PTS) I hope she is at peace. If the description of her "loose wire" personality is to be believed, the best anyone can hope for this filly is peace.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    If you followed the ads back you got to a coth poster with a history of "vet too expensive" or "vet can't come out" posts.
    Isn't this the cother who had the badly injured cat but refused to have vet treat it because she was saving all her money for horse vet bills? I think so. Correct me if I am wrong. I don't even try to understand someone like OP.

And I think it is good that people do "sleuth" which seems to be a dirty word to some cothers. If people like OP aren't outted, someone on the giveaways might send her a free mare so she can continue this method of breeding horses. I wish I'd had just one DA's investigator as good as the coth sleuthers when I worked in Atlanta.

I'm good for some $ if someone will take the poor horse. Eye ulcers have to be treated. All day long. Day after day. BTDT with good results. And I've been around horses with uvelitis where the owners let them suffer in pain, altho there are drugs that could have helped the horses.

I didn't open this thread until today because I didn't want to hear about a "blind" filly who wasn't wanted by the owner. Kill her or cure her, but don't try to excuse neglect and suffering. (Or treat her if it's uveitis.)

ETA and she's got enough $ to do the secret santa thread this year, doesn't she? Maybe that $ could have gone for some eye treatment for the filly?

I was faced with a similar issue last year. I had donated a yearling filly to a local rescue and when the rescue fell on hard times, I was asked to take her back. By now, she was 5 and when I got her home there was clearly something very wrong with her. It came to light in the coming weeks that the rescue in question was really more of a hoarding situation and the filly hadn't been handled or worked with in the four years she was there and they had no idea she was blind. I was lucky that, for the most part, the filly retained most of the training I instilled in her as a yearling. I had her examined multiple times and hauled her to a board certified veterinary ophthalmologist before making any end of life decisions.

My girl's blindness was complicated by the fact that she was extremely photophobic. Shining lights in her eyes would cause her to flip out. She would run though fences, run you over and at one point, ran into the side of the barn. Glare off of snow was enough to set her off. There clearly was no way to provide her with a reasonable quality of life and I made the decision to put her down. I will say, once she was buried, there was a huge sense of relief. I didn't need to worry about her and her safety anymore.

Shit happens and life gets in the way sometimes. Things get overlooked and sometimes the days run into one another so quickly that by the time you stop to look back, you don't know where the months or years went. I know plenty of horses on field board who don't get a daily thorough once over. It's not my preference in husbandry but it doesn't make in inherently wrong. I'm currently an absentee owner and while it's certainly not ideal, there's not much I can do about it right now. I have my mare boarded while I try to mend up from an illness which put me in the hospital a few weeks ago and I'm having surgery this week. I send my board check and wait for the BO to post pictures of my mare on Facebook. If the OP is who MistyBlue believes it to be, the person in question has had a lot going on. Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure she feels guilty and wishes things had turned out differently but such is life. Berating and belittling her isn't going to change the situation as it sits today.

OP, I wish you luck. I've been there. I will say if the filly is as impaired as you say she is, euthanasia is a very reasonable and fair outcome for her.
    Last edited by Snowflake; Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Just curious about something...I looked at the shot of the $750 ad and it said a 2009 model who weighs 800 lbs. but is supposed to be able to do all sorts of things. My question is about Cleveland Bays. Aren't they supposed to be a heavier breed? Maybe half-way to draft status? Wondering why the filly is/was so light.

Oh, about the sleuthing on here, yep, it can be skeery at times!!
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Just curious about something...I looked at the shot of the $750 ad and it said a 2009 model who weighs 800 lbs. but is supposed to be able to do all sorts of things. My question is about Cleveland Bays. Aren't they supposed to be a heavier breed? Maybe half-way to draft status? Wondering why the filly is/was so light.

Oh, about the sleuthing on here, yep, it can be skeery at times!!
    She is not a full CB she is 1/4 CB Sporthorse Welsh filly
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde

SO......no updates on this filly? I am wondering if anyone was able to help. Strange this thread just stopped.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

I agree 100% .

I would like to know also. I does seem very odd that it just halted
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde

Quote Originally Posted by halteralter98 View Post
    She was socialized at birth, friendly but not overly friendly. As she was weaned (after) she became more feral and unable to be caught. I'm sure it had to do with her vision. I will catch her and put her down if that is the best option. But I just see it stressing her more then she is already stressed. In her three years she has had maybe four or five boughts of uveitis where for about 2 days her eyes were cloudy. This time she has it in both eyes. She was fine last night. I was out in the field scratching her and rubbing on her. Tonight she can't see.
    You can touch her and scratch her? Then get her in a very small area to feed her and then put her down humanely. Shooting her loose in the pasture is a very bad idea, just ask any hunter how easy that really is. She has no quality of life and is a risk to herself and the horses she is with if in a panic she runs through your fences one day.