The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    Self policing? Well, you bet, there are those who feel it is there job to police every poster, instead of answering a question.

Here's an example.

"I have a blind, nearly feral filly (admittedly my fault, never had one like that, don't know what to do). At this point, my best option is euthanasia, but I can't catch her. What do I do?"

Instead of an actually answer to her question, the COTH police spend hours figuring out who she is, telling her she is a piece of crap and it's all her fault and "outing" what may or may not be her filly's sales ad.

So. She came to a BB where apparently, she had hoped to find someone who had, for whatever reason, an uncatchable horse that needed, for it's own sake, to be PTS, and asked " How".

Not one of the local cops said "I don't care how long it takes or how much it costs, I'll come and get her and give her either a good home or a good end".

I swear, it's like listening to a bunch of people from PITA.
    And they're all carrying D&B purses.

And as for a zero BS tolerance policy? uhmnnnn, no. You need boots and a shovel for quite a bit of this stuff and apparently, many of them can't tell s**t from sarcasm.

A quiet "perhaps you should have not let this get to where it is" would have been sufficient. But noooooo, we've got to have the super sleuths uncovering all (now I'm posting this on my office computer. But I own the place, so I can do as I please) possibly they should be working, perhaps they too, do not have to answer to a boss, nor is it affecting their productivity.

Or shoot, maybe they are just screwing off at work, and will go home and take perfect care of their horses.

Do I think the OP did the right thing in not caring for the filly earlier? Yes, but when my husband had bypass surgery, I sent a horse to a local college, one to a boarding barn, and the two ponies went to an old PC trainer of mine. Are the ponies on a dirt lot now, that could be a bit more poop free? Yes. Do they get fly spray daily now? No, they stand nose to tail. Do they have a stall? No, a old run in shed that blocks the wind some and the rain mostly. The college horse is waaaaay toooo fattt on good grass, and when I saw him last his feet were a hot mess.

Is that how I do it? No. Are they wrong? According to the standards some apply, I'm horrible for being personally overwhelmed and rehoming horses I couldn't care for at home due to circumstances beyond my control at the time.

Perhaps there is more to her story. Might be a reason, not an excuse.

But can the stalking/outing/revealing just stop? If you don't like the question, or the person, there are plenty of other threads to contribute to, really, without looking for sale ads, other posts, alters, commonality, whatever.

It makes some of you look a little "teched in the head".
    Or creepy really.

thumbs up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

7 members found this post helpful.

I also wouldn't have posted the name.

mbm...having worked with multiple AC I know that only about 1/10 of called in cases even get investigated.

I didn;t try to destroy anyone. I did notice the person wasn't be truthful here or on her ads. And that part of what the person wasn't being truthful about was causing pain and fear in a horse...that could have been avoided had the person put a little time into the horse.
    I do not walk away from people asking how to shoot a horse. I have no issues with that, for those that require it and/or those that are capable of doing it correctly. I have shot a horse and have seen it done. It's not something to learn on a BB. Nor to be done lightly.

I have no issues with you disagreeing with me...you seem to disagree with almost everyone online. Why should I be different?

If this is horrifying for you, don't read it. And no, I won't adopt or buy a horse from someone neglecting it (that is capable of caring for it) because all that does is reward the person for their neglect and is a benign acceptance of what they're doing.

Ajierene...not obsessive. Finding that out took all of about 7 minutes. And as stated above...buying or helping to buy a horse in a situation like this doesn't help. It's giving a monetary reward to the person who did this to the animal and allowing the person to continue to do so with others.

Yes, people do berate one another for management disagreements. And if you've read any of my posts over time you'll notice I don't come close to condoning that. I have zero tolerance or support for that. I'm currently arguing on the side of dealers/flippers that are getting lambasted on another thread. I've noticed you and MBM aren't over there. It's okay if the person isn't a Coth member or a dealer?

I have no problem with unhandled animals living like animals. I only have issues with it when/if the animal has a painful or serious health issue that is actively ignored (and watched) without finding a way to treat the animal or relieve it's pain. Even ranchers find ways to do that. They don't watch the horse have recurring painful issues and hope it doesn't hurt itself while not bothering to remedy the situation. They also don't just try to dump the feral animal with a chronic disease by selling it. And if they did I'd say something there also. Would that be okay if they weren't a member here?

It doesn't make me feel one bit better about anything. I don't take pleasure in this. But I also won't notice something like this and sit on my hands, look the other way or go reward them by purchasing their animal. If I did that for every single instance...I'd be broke. You can only do so many before it's no longer viable...and it does perpetuate the issue since so many just repeat the behavior. Why not? it cost them nothing socially or legally and lined their pockets as well as got rid of the animal they made worth a lot less.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    It is an ego trip. People doing all this digging are making themselves feel better about their life and their worldview with attempts to paint the original poster worse and worse with every post. The worse they paint the poster, the better they feel about themselves. As stated before - if you want to really help the filly, help the filly. Quit talking and start doing.
    I disagree. This is more than just differences of opinion in care. Uveitis is painful and per the OP the horse has suffered through it without treatment. Hiding behind an alter says to me the OP knew it was hurting the horse to just let it go, this wasn't just a case of ignorance. That is just unfair...to the filly. I wouldn't want to knowingly patronize a breeder that let a horse suffer like that, I'd take my money elsewhere. I hope OP learned something here and that means better care in the future for her horses.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

18 members found this post helpful.

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

2ndyrgirl- While I fully believe she failed this filly from the word go, I offered a helpful suggestion first. I, as a boarder, was put off was put off when she started talking about shooti.g the filly in a field full of boarder's horses. Yes, she did later say she would move them, but that was after many other backtracks.

CFF

8 members found this post helpful.

The alter can also surf the giveways for new horses and ask for them but can't post the horse that she is trying to "off" there? Full disclosure or PTS not .. hide it's problems and put numerous prices on it (750,950,1000 and now 15k).
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

At least you used your own screen name when you had your dust up, 2ndyrgal.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    It's an equine BB...that means it's also for the good of the animals as well as an information center for the humans. Ignoring this level of neglect to the animal as well as the very poor marketing tactics of advertising it for sale in that condition...not something that should be overlooked or condoned by omission.

We always say we should police ourselves. This is the same as walking away at a show or a barn after seeing neglect, abuse or rule breaking...some folks will say something even if it makes others unhappy.
    Yabbut it backfires if someone gets into trouble with a horse and now wants some help getting back out.

If that were me, would I post with an Alter? I'd like to think that I would not. Y'all know it would be me, the same mvp you thought wasn't a wacko before (I hope!). But the digging into an identity that I didn't offer you all would have me running for the hills... and promising never to ask for help here again.

My suggestion, then: Nail an alter to the wall if you think that's deserved. But I don't see a real need to out the person IIRL or by their usual COTH name.**

** The fine print: If you are phat public figure, GM, Elizabeth Mandarino or similar, you are fair game. After all, you knew you had a public persona, you benefitted from that in a way that Joe Q. Public did not and therefore signed up for scrutiny. JMO.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

This thread needs to die as badly as that poor filly does.

Seriously.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I think it is interesting that people on here vacillate between arguing that "alters" and other screen names shouldn't be tied to someones actual name yet at the same time, they condemn anyone who witnesses abuse, negligence, rough-handling, fraud, etc. but does not say anything.

Self policing? Well, you bet, there are those who feel it is there job to police every poster, instead of answering a question.

Here's an example.

"I have a blind, nearly feral filly (admittedly my fault, never had one like that, don't know what to do). At this point, my best option is euthanasia, but I can't catch her. What do I do?"

Instead of an actually answer to her question, the COTH police spend hours figuring out who she is, telling her she is a piece of crap and it's all her fault and "outing" what may or may not be her filly's sales ad.

So. She came to a BB where apparently, she had hoped to find someone who had, for whatever reason, an uncatchable horse that needed, for it's own sake, to be PTS, and asked " How".

Not one of the local cops said "I don't care how long it takes or how much it costs, I'll come and get her and give her either a good home or a good end".

And as for a zero BS tolerance policy? uhmnnnn, no. You need boots and a shovel for quite a bit of this stuff and apparently, many of them can't tell s**t from sarcasm.

A quiet "perhaps you should have not let this get to where it is" would have been sufficient. But noooooo, we've got to have the super sleuths uncovering all (now I'm posting this on my office computer. But I own the place, so I can do as I please) possibly they should be working, perhaps they too, do not have to answer to a boss, nor is it affecting their productivity.

Or shoot, maybe they are just screwing off at work, and will go home and take perfect care of their horses.

Do I think the OP did the right thing in not caring for the filly earlier? Yes, but when my husband had bypass surgery, I sent a horse to a local college, one to a boarding barn, and the two ponies went to an old PC trainer of mine. Are the ponies on a dirt lot now, that could be a bit more poop free? Yes. Do they get fly spray daily now? No, they stand nose to tail. Do they have a stall? No, a old run in shed that blocks the wind some and the rain mostly. The college horse is waaaaay toooo fattt on good grass, and when I saw him last his feet were a hot mess.

Is that how I do it? No. Are they wrong? According to the standards some apply, I'm horrible for being personally overwhelmed and rehoming horses I couldn't care for at home due to circumstances beyond my control at the time.

But can the stalking/outing/revealing just stop? If you don't like the question, or the person, there are plenty of other threads to contribute to, really, without looking for sale ads, other posts, alters, commonality, whatever.

Or creepy really.
    If you read the thread from the beginning, you will see that several people offered suggestions on how to handle this situation. I think the problem began when the OP started back tracking and her posts stopped matching up to what she had written previously.

Rather than hide behind an alter, and posting in Off Course, she *may* have been better off going to Horse Care under her real screen name and admitting point blank that she didn't handle this filly or her care correctly, but wants to do right by her and either find a way to work with her in order to have a good future, or put her down if she is deemed to not have a productive future. I'm thinking she would have been tarred and feathered less had she just been honest from the getgo.

Sure, there still would have been negative comments, that's just the way things go on forums. However, the snideness may have been reduced by honesty. (Pure speculation on my part, but I like to believe this to be true)

As for offering to come get the filly or help out, it's awfully tough to do when someone is hiding their identity/location.

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned here for others who are considering using an alter to discuss a situation and get opinions. Sometimes coming clean and being accountable may just be a better course of action, especially when one is seeking assistance.
    Last edited by jenm; Dec. 4, 2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

14 members found this post helpful.

Here's an example.

Or creepy really.
    Weren't you the poster who purchased a hunt horse from a hunt member and then came on this BB saying that you were going to shoot it after owning it for less then a week because it was chewing your fence? And didn't a ton of posters on this BB frantically contact you as well as anyone in your area to try and prevent this from happening? And didn't the original owner find out about this and then come take the horse back because you hadn't bothered to contact them?

The story in this thread keeps changing, and the issue I have is that the OP can go out into a field and give the horse shots but she can't give it a sedative for the vet to come out to see it or put it down.

26 members found this post helpful.

^ Guess this thread hits a little too close to home for 2ndy

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    My suggestion, then: Nail an alter to the wall if you think that's deserved. But I don't see a real need to out the person IIRL or by their usual COTH name.**

** The fine print: If you are phat public figure, GM, Elizabeth Mandarino or similar, you are fair game. After all, you knew you had a public persona, you benefitted from that in a way that Joe Q. Public did not and therefore signed up for scrutiny. JMO.
    But what about in a case such as this one, where the real screen name has been hanging about the giveaway forum for some months looking for another free horse or two to add to her mix when she's clearly struggling to care properly for the animals she has? Ankle deep in decomposing manure? Unable or unwilling to get enough of a handle on a filly THEY bred to be able to do basic vet and farrier care, let alone more involved care of painful and time sensitive issues?

I know if I were in a tough enough situation to have a horse listed on the giveaway board, I'd want to know if one of the folks contacting me hoping to get my horse is a person with issues such as those listed above.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

11 members found this post helpful.

I really don't understand this mentality. At all.
    Here you have a breeder who dropped the ball on one of their stock. They got advice (there was a lot of advice on the first few pages btw, answering her question - maybe not in the nicest way because it was clear she dropped the ball, but answering the question nonetheless), and they never indicated that $$$ for either vet or someone to shoot her would be an issue.

So where comes this expectation that if people on the forum were decent, they'd move heaven and earth to "rescue" this filly? I mean, why? First, breeder did not indicate any financial problem dealing with this issue. Second, fundamentally it is a breeder - if they couldn't afford to PTS a defective horse, they frankly would need some blunt "WTF do you think you're doing by breeding in the first place" comments - COTH to me should not be a place where a breeder in such financial dire straits ought to be encouraged (even harshly) to do anything but STOP BREEDING.
    (Not that the second point applies here, since again, OP did not say there would be a financial problem getting this filly PTS if needed).

22 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    ^ Guess this thread hits a little too close to home for 2ndy
    But, as pointed out above, she had the moxie to post under her regular s/n.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I'm not even sure the manure is an issue for me, although I'm looking at the pictures on my phone, so it's possible that I just can't see.

What I do have an issue with is:
    Poster wants to PTS a filly who may or may not have uveitis (we don't know), may or may not have been vaccinated, may or may not have been trimmed in 3 years...bottom line is we don't know. In many cases where a poster is using an alter, the filly wouldn't even exist. You bet your butt I'd like to know if the horse even exists...

There have been many cases on this board where people have been taken, donated money etc to a situation that did not even exist. Sometimes we find out too late, and a horse dies like in musical jumper's case.

I absolutely want to know if this person is trying to get a free horse.
    I absolutely want to know if this person is actually breeding.
    And yes, I absolutely want to know who it is so that I can appropriately deal with the filly situation and give good advice. I think there is more to this story that is untrue (for instance, why not post when the filly was originally having issues?) why now?

9 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=Long Spot;6700832]But what about in a case such as this one, where the real screen name has been hanging about the giveaway forum for some months looking for another free horse or two to add to her mix when she's clearly struggling to care properly for the animals she has? /QUOTE]

Fair enough.

But it still makes life more peaceful if you investigate each identity individually. If I were giving a horse away, I'd do a thorough proctological exam on the person to whom I was going to give a horse. I suppose that as part of that I could post a thread with "Hey, anyone know anything about COTHer X who has asked/volunteered to take my horse?"-type thread.

It does seem easier for folks to ask their Horse Related questions as just one person. That cuts off the sleuthers at the pass. I guess I find my horse care standards to be "within normal limits" and I can't think of anything I'd want to hide from other HOs who post here. Similarly, they can so a search using my user name and see how I roll.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Nevermind I figured it out.

Me too! now I want to know.
    Will someone PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    Dang. that's some serious sleuthing. My curiosity is killing me on who this person is......
    Last edited by MunchingonHay; Dec. 4, 2012 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    It does seem easier for folks to ask their Horse Related questions as just one person. That cuts off the sleuthers at the pass. I guess I find my horse care standards to be "within normal limits" and I can't think of anything I'd want to hide from other HOs who post here. Similarly, they can so a search using my user name and see how I roll.
    True enough.

There actually was enough in the past posting history of the real sn to make someone pretty wary if they looked back far enough.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

soo.... let's just recap here: OP posts asking a question. The usual suspects converge like a bunch of vultures ,OP is outed (or not, who knows) now folks can pat themselves on the back - job well done!

but wait. what positive outcome happened here?

that's right none.

just a pack mentality of ugliness .

good job folks - especially during the holidays!

4 members found this post helpful.