The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I will agree with you, I think you need to put her down. You are doing her a disservice keeping her.
    Agree

1 members found this post helpful.

Please don't think I'd just have Tom, Dick, or Harry shoot her (IF that was best for the filly). I would have someone that was a professional do it. Maybe even the vet that is trained (though I'm not certain that the vet will be as good as they neighbor down the road that has been breeding holstein forever). It would be someone that could do it in one shot while she was eating. I'm trying to do what is best for this filly. She is not afraid of people walking up and around her. She is in a field with other foals, boarder horses, and the kids are around her all the time. What at this point would scare her is the vet coming out and putting her in a stall away from her friends. I'm going to talk to the vet about the feed through ace (I've never used ace in my life for any animal). See if that is an option and then euthanasia after. If we could get enough ace in her. My issue is this. If I do feed through ace and she's in the field. How do I know my chickens, cats, etc (something ace could kill) won't clean up what she spilled?

OP, I can't believe you are that clueless.

You've never used Ace for any of your pet? Good for you!

Maybe a little ace while your horse was younger would have helped training her...and you wouldn't be in such situation right now.

Quote Originally Posted by halteralter98 View Post
    What at this point would scare her is the vet coming out and putting her in a stall away from her friends.
    Ridiculous. You bring her in and ace her there! Then you bring her to a safe place to have her euth. right away by the vet. 20-30 min max.
    She'll be away soon for good.

You think that trying to kill a horse that is untied in a field with other horses/chicken/cats is a good idea?
    You think she will stand still while eating? What if she moves?
    You think the other horses won't want to eat too and will just stay away at a safe distance majikally? Have you told the boarders about your 'plan'?

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post

You think that trying to kill a horse that is untied in a field with other horses/chicken/cats is a good idea?
    Of course there would NOT be other horses in the field. I'd move them out of the field. That would be ridiculous for sure. No, I have never used Ace in my entire life. I've had horses sedated for gelding, small surgeries, some for palpations, but I've never used Ace for training. That is a majority in my area. Local horseman around here do not resort to drugs for training. She is not a danger to anyone.

Our vet has always walked out to the horse while it's in the pasture to euth it. Why bring the horse in? It's usually easier to get the dead horse picked up out of the pasture, or to properly bury it in the pasture (if local laws allow) than drag it out of a stall to dispose of it.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post

Of course there would NOT be other horses in the field. I'd move them out of the field. That would be ridiculous for sure. No, I have never used Ace in my entire life. I've had horses sedated for gelding, small surgeries, some for palpations, but I've never used Ace for training. That is a majority in my area. Local horseman around here do not resort to drugs for training. She is not a danger to anyone.

If your filly is out in a pasture with BOARDER horses that kids go out and play with.... and you want to try to shoot her, you're an idiot. I'm sorry.

What happens when you bring feed out? You have a swarm of horses. We turn out babies out 24/7 in a group of older mare for the summer, and feed them once a day. The babies are at the bottom of the totem pole. Even if we put 6 well spaced piles of grain out for 5 horses, somebody (usually the babies) is always getting run off their grain. You think that everybody is going to leave her alone while she eats, and not run her off her grain?

If my BO said that she was going to shoot of her her horses while my horse was out there too, I'd run screaming and never, ever go back.

FWIW, we breed some seriously "opinionated" foals, one in particular who sounds a lot like your filly. Every. Single. Last. One will wear a halter, gets their feet done, and gets basic vet care. No exceptions. They wear a halter on day 1 and everyday from there on. We turn our babies out 24/7 in the summer as well. It's your job as a breeder and owner to make sure that your horses have some marketable skills, or at least can receive the care they deserve.

ETA: I just saw your last post about taking all the horses out.... if she can't be stalled away from her buddies without hysterics, she sure as hell isn't going to munch happily away on some grain as she watches all her friends leave...
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

19 members found this post helpful.

Hi Op...I Pm'ed you my solution. It is similar to those stated here. No judgement from me, just {Hugs} to you and your Filly.
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

3 members found this post helpful.

Hopefully you have gotten enough opinions to make your decision and can now shrink off to anonymity and forget you ever started this thread. I wasn't real happy about the pile on that was going on here but the more you talk the more deserved the pile on seems. Just do whatever it is you are going to do and be done with this mess.

10 members found this post helpful.

Here was our filly, now some 40 years ago, that was born way touchier and overreactive than our other normal foals.
    She just didn't seem to learn, you had to keep teaching the same every day and some days she remembered, some didn't seem to.
    Once weaned, she was getting worse, not better, her name Temper, as in temper tantrums.
    We weaned two or three to the pen and we had to put her alone, as with any other, they would beat on her way more than the occasional cranky weanling may do.
    We had about 50 broodmares at that time, so we could tell the clear difference:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...oo/Scan-3.jpeg

You can see the picture as a yearling that spring, she was by then also head pressing into things and somewhat unsteady, that is when our vet, that had been telling us this would happen bar a miracle, decided it was time to euthanize.
    She would lose it at the drop of a hat and would act like she had never been around humans, trying to flee if it killed her, no self preservation at all.
    Our vet thought a slow growing brain tumor or a brain malformation that was affecting her more as she grew, or who knows what.
    Even 40 years ago now, it is still painful to remember what happened with that filly.

I don't think that is what is going on here, but she definitely sounds like a more complicated filly than general run of the mill foals tend to be, compounded now with her untreated uveitis.

Looking back at what happened, is good to not repeat the same that didn't work, to learn from it.
    I think the OP has had enough information and guesses thrown at her by now.
    I wish all the best in such a bad situation.
    Last edited by Bluey; Dec. 2, 2012 at 09:42 AM.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    ETA: I just saw your last post about taking all the horses out.... if she can't be stalled away from her buddies without hysterics, she sure as hell isn't going to munch happily away on some grain as she watches all her friends leave...
    This ^^^

No, I have never used Ace in my entire life. I've had horses sedated for gelding, small surgeries, some for palpations, but I've never used Ace for training. That is a majority in my area. Local horseman around here do not resort to drugs for training. She is not a danger to anyone.
    You don't understand don't you?

Where were those horseman with no ace when your now grown up 3yrs old needed to be halter trained?

She IS a danger because she ISN'T even halter broke.

She is NOW in danger because she ISN'T even halter broke.

Between choosing to use a little ace to help train a horse to be handle properly and having no choice but to kill a horse because it was left untreated for 3 yrs because it was untrained....anyway...

14 members found this post helpful.

This filly is different. I can pet and touch her. She will not let me halter her. ... This filly does not hate me, she does not trust me. ..
    Just a thought here, but have you considered that perhaps the filly won't let you put a halter on her because of the pain caused by the uveitis, which then snowballed into a habitual anticipation of pain whenever you reached for her head even during periods when there may have been no uveitis pain?

This seems to be a very real possibility, IMO, in which case you would need to do some serious *conditioning* work in order to ever be able to handle her head (put a halter on) without causing her anxiety and/or panic. It wouldn't be easy and it wouldn't be fast but it could probably be accomplished with some absolute consistency and dedicated work.

It's a real shame that this filly is in the state that she is in in the first place.

11 members found this post helpful.

You say you have two equine vets and a good relationship with both. What do they say you should do?

4 members found this post helpful.

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

Claddagh has good point about the pain being part of the halter issue, maybe a picket line neck collar would work instead?

CFF

Just a thought here, but have you considered that perhaps the filly won't let you put a halter on her because of the pain caused by the uveitis, which then snowballed into a habitual anticipation of pain whenever you reached for her head even during periods when there may have been no uveitis pain?
    Yes, that seems obvious. Has it never occurred to the OP.

OK, I don't like pile ons either but this is just so bizarre.

Remember, there has been no vet examination, diagnosis, treatment, management... yada yada...let alone basic hoof care , annual vax.....

Great. We are meanies who point this out. I don't believe the OP has raised 50 foals. Sorry, I don't believe it.

18 members found this post helpful.

As she was weaned she got to the point she was uncatchable. Didn't trust humans. We had never had a foal like this before. About halfway into her yearling year she started to develop boughts of uveitis. The vet could not treat her as we just could not catch her
    She was socialized at birth, friendly but not overly friendly. As she was weaned (after) she became more feral and unable to be caught. I'm sure it had to do with her vision.
    I will take credit for her lack of handling after her yearling year. She lived out with the other foals 24/7, run in area, small group of youngsters. This is the ONLY foal in 50 I've bred that has ever had human trust issues like this. It IS possible that sometimes you just can't get through to a foal. I'm sure much of it was vision related. In the past I've not had the ability to stall her and really work with her (most foals don't need stalls to socialize). I have a huge barn now and could bring her in, but really for what?
    Have you read where I said that I can go up and pet her, scratch her, etc? when I bring the halter out and put it near her she freaks.
    I've been negligent of the episodes that have never been this bad
    Maybe stop trying to sell her then?

Last year:
    She will mature around 15.1. She is solid bay and a lovely mover. She is athletic and bred to jump. She will make a nice small horse for the junior moving out of ponies or the small adult.
    Will make a nice small horse for a junior? A horse who you've said trusts nobody and can't be handled to the point it's let to suffer through painful recurring bouts of uveitis...great horse for young rider.

Current Dreamhorse:
    She is sound with no vices. Strong filly with correct conformation and lovely mover. She was sold as a filly and purchased back. She unfortunately has had minimal handling and is not halter broke yet. Price will increase with more training.
    Last ad updated a few weeks ago. Blaming her lack of handling on some fictitious neglectful buyer who had her for some time? Recurring Uveitis isn't considered sound.

bad enough neglecting her. worse trying to foist her off as a sale.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

19 members found this post helpful.

I've never ever used Ace.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

O__o

Ok, if the above really is the same horse/OP, seriously, What. The. Swearing.

Put the thing down. Have the vet do it, have your neighbor shoot it, hell, smother it with a pillow since you can't seem to decide on a method, but quit trying to sell it!

The way this horse turned out is your fault, either for not socializing it properly and having a vet treat it, or for not blowing out its brains long ago - what kind of dishonest breeder would foist off their mistakes like that onto the unwary public?

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Maybe stop trying to sell her then?

Will make a nice small horse for a junior? A horse who you've said trusts nobody and can't be handled to the point it's let to suffer through painful recurring bouts of uveitis...great horse for young rider.

Last ad updated a few weeks ago. Blaming her lack of handling on some fictitious neglectful buyer who had her for some time? Recurring Uveitis isn't considered sound.

bad enough neglecting her. worse trying to foist her off as a sale.

I've been reading this train wreck the past few days but keeping my keyboard out of it. BUT if this considering shooting and trying to sell at the same time Bullshyt is actually true? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!

That is just too too much.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

5 members found this post helpful.

Good sleuthwork, Misty Blue. Reading through the OP's first post, I was just horrified that anyone would knowingly let a bout of Uveitis go untreated in a horse. I've had Uveitis and it is excruciating. Maybe if you'd experienced something like that personally, OP, you would have worked a little harder to gain that filly's trust, treat her eyes and thus, change the course of her life. This is one of the saddest posts I've read in a long time. Poor filly.