The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Very sad incident in Scottsdale (details inside)

Very sad incident this morning in Scottsdale in which two horses were killed in traffic this morning on a very, very busy road right by a high school, not far from a middle school, in the middle of neighborhoods, people, cars, kids, etc.

No firm details yet.

I originally posted this looking for info as I couldn't find anything other than a frantic email I received from my mom asking where my horse was. I then deleted it as it was incredibly sad but am reposting as someone kindly pointed out that others might be interested as well.

Tragic. My thoughts and prayers are with those kind souls, owners, and witnesses, who must have seen something they never wanted to see.
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; Oct. 8, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Yes, there are news reports of 2 horses dead on Shea Blvd at 68th street.

From www.azfamily.com:

"SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Two apparently dead horses are blocking traffic on Shea Boulevard near 68th Street in Scottsdale.

The horses are lying in the eastbound lanes. It is not clear if they were hit by a vehicle.

It is not known where the animals came from, but there is a lot of horse property in the area.

The median lane is blocked for eastbound traffic.

Information will be updated as it become available."

Qharma,

thanks...

I deleted the original post. devastating.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Why are you deleting the original post?
    Other people might be interested in this.

I just feel like an a$$ for posting it - I was looking for information/news and was in a bit of a panic...you have a point, though...

I originally posted in dressage and probably should just remove it from there and not here. Good point.

How in the world does someone hit 2 horses, then drive away? That driver must have REALLY wanted to get away. And it looks like a busy area - surely there are witnesses.

1 members found this post helpful.

This is a VERY VERY VERy busy road. There is a high school right there. Tons of people, kids, cars. Three lanes each direction. pedestrians. houses. stores. businesses. it's right off a major intersection (Scottsdale Road and Shea Blvd).

I can't imagine being able to avoid hitting a horse who jumped onto the road - this is bumper to bumper traffic. I don't know that anyone drove away - this isn't a deserted area - I'm sure there were many, many unfortunate witnesses.

It's devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    How in the world does someone hit 2 horses, then drive away? That driver must have REALLY wanted to get away. And it looks like a busy area - surely there are witnesses.
    The story as quoted above does not say anyone 'drove away', nor does it comment about witnesses or lack thereof.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

This is pretty much why I deleted my original post-it's a sad accident and i didn't want to open it up to speculation and blame. We can all look to blame someone (who left the gate open, who trained the horse to open the gate, who did the QA on the fencing, who zoned the property to have horses so close to a major road, who made the fencing, whose dog scared the horses into bolting, who drove the car that hit the horse, etc.). I may be wrong, something sinister may have happened, but two horses are dead and I know the community is grieving.

I know none of the details but have read a few things online. I can't imagine someone driving away in this case, for so many reasons, and I imagine that the horses probably did some of the running into cars themselves. This is bumper to bumper traffic.

A former barnmate's horse (another state) escaped at a show and crossed a highway...killing a woman driving to work (PGEC). Devastating as well.

It is very lucky that no people were physically injured here. Emotionally, I can bet there are a few.

Looks like the article has been updated w/a bit more info.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    The story as quoted above does not say anyone 'drove away', nor does it comment about witnesses or lack thereof.

*star*
    I jumped to conclusions I guess -seeing the horse there all alone on the road, it just reminded me of a dead deer I guess. Very sad for all involved.....

ETA: I just watched the news clip and was glad to hear no humans wee hurt. But still the family must e devastated.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I jumped to conclusions I guess -seeing the horse there all alone on the road, it just reminded me of a dead deer I guess. Very sad for all involved.....

ETA: I just watched the news clip and was glad to hear no humans wee hurt. But still the family must e devastated.
    Isn't it awful...I was so careful to avoid the photos. Haven't watched the clip, either.

I know of one Scottsdale horse who will be getting even more loved on than normal tonight (if that's possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Looks like the article has been updated w/a bit more info.
    Thanks...and I love your signature line ! I only wish it weren't true!

1 members found this post helpful.

SO sad. This is very close to where my G'ma lives and close to the resort where we stay when we visit. I can attest that it's a VERY busy area. Glad to here no humans were hurt but I am devastated for the horses
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Very sad. I watched the video and was impressed by the lady that picked them up out of the road. Her company is called Trails End. She says that she tries to treat them with the respect they deserve and how she would want her own horses treated.

http://www.trailsendaz.com/www.trail...m/Welcome.html
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I've used Trails End, unfortunately a couple of times, the lady and her mother were/have always been class acts.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I've heard the same about them-I happen to share a first name with one of them (so I'm told), and more than once I've heard, "oh, you're that girl xxxx who comes to get the deceased horses." Until I learned who she was, I was horrified to have that association!

Although I hope I have many, many years before I need their services, it's good to know that they are here, and that we have individual cremation options.

I agree about Trails End. I used them when I had to put my show gelding down - they were great.