The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grrr...looks like we need a new trainer. Please help me figure out where to go next.

It looks like DD's awesome trainer will be relocating somewhere outside our driving distance when she comes back from Florida in a couple months.

So, I guess we need a new BNT roughly an hour-ish from the Fredericksburg, VA area. Local lesson factory type won't cut it.

We won't be in a position to lease/buy until spring so it will have to be someone with at least one school horse or client horse that needs a catch ride.

This has come as a complete blindside/shock, and I don't even know where to start. Long story - I had it all typed out but it was pages and pages long. The only name I can even think of is Peter Foley, does anyone have contact info for him? I've only seen him at Summerplace (local show), does he do A shows too?

Kid is schooling 3' to 3'3"/3'6" at home, last shown in the 2'9" jumpers and 3' hunters.

Please help me. Thanks in advance.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Peter is great and does do the "A"s. Whitestone might also be a match for your daughter. They have a beautiful facility and the trainer Carol is top-notch. They also really look out for their horses/ponies and provide great care.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Peter Foley is very good.
    http://www.woodhallfarm.net/WHF/Home.html

One of his students came in 2nd in the $250,000 Hunter Prix at HITS and also won a major championship at one of the indoor shows (Washington Intl?)

I've been to his farm and can attest to the quality of the care ad the people there. PM me if you'd like details.

2 members found this post helpful.

Peter is awesome, but is a really long drive from Fredericksburg. Definitely over an hour with traffic.

What about Ann Garnett at Rosemount? Ada Cosby or Eric Dierks in Richmond?
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

Quote Originally Posted by LockeMeadows View Post
    Peter is great and does do the "A"s. Whitestone might also be a match for your daughter. They have a beautiful facility and the trainer Carol is top-notch. They also really look out for their horses/ponies and provide great care.
    Thanks for the info on Peter. Whitestone is not going to work - she rode with Carol for a few months when we first moved here and it wasn't a fit. Nothing against Carol, she is lovely and the farm is absolutely gorgeous! DD just didn't seem to be able to follow her teaching style well. Entirely a lack of meshing people, not a judgement on her abilities at all!!

Quote Originally Posted by BABYGREENTB View Post
    Peter is awesome, but is a really long drive from Fredericksburg. Definitely over an hour with traffic.

What about Ann Garnett at Rosemount? Ada Cosby or Eric Dierks in Richmond?
    I think Peter's farm is only about 15 minutes farther than I am driving now for lessons. We are off Rt. 17, so it's a straight shot for me up 17 to 15/29. It usually takes me 1:30 to get to Leesburg, so I'm guessing he'd be about 1:15? Does that sound right?

The more I think about it, I would be willing to try driving to Middleburg too. On the back roads between here and there, it might be a nice drive. Any suggestions that direction?

What about non H/J trainers? Maybe she would benefit from a few months with an eventer trainer or someone who teaches side saddle or fox hunting.

Pam Baker?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    What about non H/J trainers? Maybe she would benefit from a few months with an eventer trainer or someone who teaches side saddle or fox hunting.
    If you're right on 17, maybe Skyler Voss at Morningside, if you're interested in trying some eventing. Not sure if there are lesson horses there, though.

Pam Baker outside of Warrenton.
    Ann Garnett in Fredericksburg.
    Eric Dirks outside of Richmond.

It really depends on which direction you want to go. There are lots of quality trainers around, but not so many if you're set on doing the rated shows.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    I think Peter's farm is only about 15 minutes farther than I am driving now for lessons. We are off Rt. 17, so it's a straight shot for me up 17 to 15/29. It usually takes me 1:30 to get to Leesburg, so I'm guessing he'd be about 1:15? Does that sound right?
    Yes, that's probably about right. Peter is really wonderful - hard to go wrong!

I do think there are options much closer to you that would also be good though - might be worth considering just to make it a little less logistically challenging.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

Thanks for the suggestions, they are appreciated. We have no problem with trainers that like to do the locals too, we are just losing someone who is one of the best and it will be hard to replace her for sure.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jeff Woodall. Stuartfield Farm
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams