The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alfalfa hay

I have a question to anyone that lives near or around Danbury CT. I have a horse that normally eats second cut hay and chopped hay that is a timothy and alfalfa mix but he now needs just alfalfa hay. I need to get alfalfa chopped hay with no or very little molasses. I know dengie by lucrene farm hay alfalfa chopped hay but it has a lot of molasses in it. Any suggestions on brand and where you get it from. I have called MANY places and they only seem to have dengie or a mix of chopped hay. My horse also doesn't eat cubes or pellets.

I would perfer to not travel too far but will go towards southbury CT.

thanks

Call the area vets for supply referrals.

Triple crown has an alfalfa forage and it does not appear to contain a whole lot of molasses (looks like less compared with lucerne farms). My horse would not eat the dengi alfalfa but she really likes the TC. I'm in CT and TC is readily available in the state.

If you're really concerned about sugar, take a look at the TC safe starch chopped forage.

I don't think all of the Lucerne Farms Dengie type have a lot of molasses. Go and look at them and see what you think. Our neighbors fed Alfa A to their 36 year old pony and it did not look to have much molasses.

Tractor supply carries a baled alfalfa hay from Standlee.