The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default VENT - and cautionary tale of half-chaps that zip from the bottom up

So, I bought some new half-chaps: Ariat Covingtons. Love the fit...once I go through incredible gyrations, temper tantrums, crying fits, and pleading for my husband to come "HELP ME!!!!!!" just to get the damn things zipped. Maybe I'll video it all tomorrow.

Anyone else out there have these lovely thingies? Got any suggestions for wrestling them on in less than 10 minutes?
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Never had this problem, but maybe WD-40?

I go through the same with the Riding Sport half chaps that I got from Dover. I don't have any suggestions and I never found an easier way to get them on. But I do commiserate with you!

I have a pair that I have been riding in for two years. They were snug at first, but I never had a real problem getting them on. Try wearing them around the house on a bare leg with some very thin socks - just so you can get them on and start to stretch them out.

They are supposed to be a tight fit - they will stretch out once they conform to your leg. Mine fit like custom chaps.

I much prefer zip from the bottom chaps.

The way to put on:
    1. Sit in chair.
    2. Rest left foot on rt knee.
    Foot is actually reachable in this position to make wrestling half chap on about 100% easier.
    3. Repeat for left chap.

I almost killed myself similarly before I figured out this genius solution! LOL. Once the chaps break in you can just zip them on easily without the chair trick
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

1 members found this post helpful.

I found that crossing one leg over the other makes it much easier to zip them up.

Lol! I couldn't bend in ways to get them done up in the tack store, so I passed on buying them. However, I'm old and non-bendy.

Yoga maybe?

Haha!

I decided on half chaps that zip from the bottom up because the other kind always have the zippers start to work their way up when I'm riding. Plus trying to snap that darn snap on the bottom was really hard!

I also has the problem of not being able to get them on until I tried leahandpies solution. It works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    Lol! I couldn't bend in ways to get them done up in the tack store, so I passed on buying them. However, I'm old and non-bendy.

Yoga maybe?
    I am 3 months short of 63...
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by leahandpie View Post
    The way to put on:
    1. Sit in chair.
    2. Rest left foot on rt knee.
    Foot is actually reachable in this position to make wrestling half chap on about 100% easier.
    3. Repeat for left chap.

I almost killed myself similarly before I figured out this genius solution! LOL. Once the chaps break in you can just zip them on easily without the chair trick
    I sorta figured out that solution a few days ago - I have really skinny legs and need the XS fit - it's just getting one part of the zipper into the other part and keeping it there that produces the battle. THANKS for the encouragement. I really like the chaps once they're on...almost look like tall boots!

When the zippers blow out, have them replaced so that they zip down!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I have a pair of Ariat close contact half chaps that zip from bottom up and I have had them for four years. They fit perfectly except that the zipper falls down. I solved the problem by using elastics to hold them up via the snap, but an issue to look foreword to!

I use the bailing twine method when breaking them in. Loop bailing twine through the zipper pull, sit down and then pull up. Quick, affordable, and only a few minutes of cussing and sweating then they finally break in lol.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.