The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Craig's List Heartwarmer....Good Time Charlie update

Some of you may remember a few months ago when I posted about a pony I found on CL and impulsively bought because of his dreadful circumstances. He was living in a down-on-its-luck trailer park, covered in fire ant bites, he had foundered badly (could BARELY walk when I saw him) and lost an eye due to an untreated eye infection. He was also at least 100lbs overweight.

I've linked to his original picture just to give you an idea of why I HAD to buy him.

I knew it was probably money thrown away, but paid the $300 for a pony that couldn't walk so I had no idea of his other medical issues let alone if he was even broke, and then spent at least that and more on vet bills and farriers getting him over his founder, diagnosing and treating his IR, etc etc etc.

Although he would shoot to the other side of the stall whenever I went in there and actually quiver in fear, over these last months, he's undergone a complete mental and physical transformation that I wanted to share with the COTH community. He has learned to longe, and to pony on the trails so he could get some exercise and even when he was totally confused and afraid he NEVER offered to strike out or bite. He just seemed incredibly grateful for kindness and good food and a warm bed and finally realized that life was going to be OK from now on so he relaxed and got used to being groomed and loved on.

Here now is a picture of Charlie from yesterday when he was giving a lesson to a 4 yr old little girl. He was at the trainers for a week and they have mutually fallen in love. It brings tears to my eyes just seeing how happy they both are and to realize that sometimes following your heart and taking a chance on a CL rescue can really turn out to be a fairytale come true.

First, Charlie when I bought him...

http://s1233.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=3

And now....

http://s1233.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

35 members found this post helpful.

Sweet! Glad to hear he's had a soft landing.

He looks so happy now. I peeked at some of your other photos and your black dog looks just like my late beloved Gemma. sniff

Aw, Charlie is steppin out in that photo! He looks so happy. Good on you
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

2 members found this post helpful.

How wonderful. I hope he brings you as many blessings as you've brought him.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

5 members found this post helpful.

Awww so cute. You have a nice heart and did a good job

Awwww...what an awesome new life for this guy!! Great job!
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

1 members found this post helpful.

You rock!! Lucky Charlie
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, Charlie! You look fabulous big man!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Awesome, totally awesome!

What a fantastic story!! Thank you for rescueing him! He looks so happy!

Love this story! He just looks like he is really enjoying his job and his little rider looks fantastic.

Kudos to you for helping him, you SO did the right thing!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Adorable pony, kudos to you for taking a chance and giving this guy a new life!

And this proves that there are still good people in the world. What a lucky pony!

Cute! What a transformation. He is counting his lucky stars. Thanks for sharing yours!

Go Charlie go! You did good, OP!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

**** Another update***

Thanks everyone for your kind words...It's been truly a blessing to be involved in this story.

"Good Time Charlie" is now going home with the little 4yr old Emma and her 8 yr old sister. ;-) Their mom contacted me yesterday and asked if I would be willing to sell him. I was gobsmacked since I had never considered that, but the only exercise he would get at my house would be ponied on the trails or longed since I'm too big to ride him, but instead he will have a job he clearly loves.

The irony is, I wouldn't have ever picked him as a "re-sale" project and yet he is only 10 and has a lovely flat-kneed trot so they are now looking at taking H/J lessons so the girls can take him to shows. LOL, you may see him packing around in a Young Entry or SS class one of the these days.

The family is wonderful and have a number of retired horses on their 140 acre farm, but until now had never found a safe, sane pony for the little girls.

I really knew he had fallen in love with Emma when I watched her leading him with this slack lead rope and he was taking tiny baby steps to stay right with her without getting on top of her. I had been working with him on ground manners so he wouldn't get in my space and stop when I stopped etc. but he could still get a little pushy, but there was NONE of that with her. He was a perfect gentleman.

Anyway, they'll reimburse me for my expenses and he'll stay at the trainers until Christmas when Emma and Natalie will get to wake up and find out Charlie belongs to them.

Guess I'm back on the market for another heart stealer..... ;-)

32 members found this post helpful.

You couldn't have done any more right by him, Media. Well done. Happy pony, happy kids...it doesn't get any better.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Christmas ponies are the best kind! Awwwww, what lucky kids & what an ADORABLE pony. Good on ya - and now you have space for another one, right?!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

What a good thing you did. Sometimes following your heart rewards you in ways you'd never expect. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story!