The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle selling

Is there a market for an older Passier Grand Gilbert? It is about 10 years old in good condition. It has fitting a too.... Does not fit my new horse...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I bought one not too long ago that was in excellent condition for $900.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Yes there's a market, but you have to price it accordingly. It's a GREAT piece of tack, still very popular with eventers and some dressage riders. But they're also a dime a dozen on the market and they have old-fashioned design elements that make them a tough sell to the "I want my saddle to feel like a couch" crowd. This is exacerbated by the fact that the Passier GG has several very close cousins that retail for less than the GG: the Rembrandt Integra, the Thornhill Vienna and Vienna II, the Collegiate Jessica and Collegiate Convertible Mentor, the Toulouse Aachen dressage, etc. Those saddles are not identical to the Passier GG, but they're close enough that some shoppers will say "Why should I pay $900 for a used Passier GG when I could buy a used Thornhill Vienna II for $450?" You and I know the answer is "Because the Passier GG is top-notch quality and it'll go forever, heck you could practically light it on fire and still have a great saddle to show for it." But for buyers in the sub-$1000 price range, sometimes the size of the cash outlay in the most important thing.

"Good condition" is a pretty relative term, but I'd say a ten-year-old GG in really outstanding condition could command $850-$1000. In good, used, serviceable condition without a need for reflocking or new billets, maybe $700-$900. If it needs reflocking, new billets, and/or has some kind of significant cosmetic damage, ask less than $700. I've seen them go as cheap as $400-$500, which is a shame. If it's a 17.5", that is a very desirable seat size and you could perhaps up the price by $50-$100. Ditto with highly desirable tree sizes.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Dec. 5, 2012 at 01:54 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

[edit] the billets have been replaced and the only issue is that some of the black dye has come off the seat. Happened before me but the butt covers it. I would be happy to get 800 for it...
    I hate ebay so where is the best place to advertise?
    Last edited by Moderator 3; Dec. 1, 2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: to remove details that could veer into advertising

I have had very good luck selling saddles on e-bay, and the reason is that 1) I describe and photograph them very well and 2) I allow the buyer to return it, at their cost, if it does not fit. So far, I have never had anyone return a saddle, but I think people appreciate that if they get a saddle that does not work, they can send it back. I also sell them on Craigslist and offer people to try it on thier horse. (You have to meet the person and ascertain they are not some creep trying to steal your stuff.) The way I look at it is that we are all horse people, a saddle is important, and people need to feel good about this purchase. We have to help each other. With this in mind, I have sold many, many saddles on e-bay and Craigslist. (And I have a Passier Nicole GG I am going to list this week--old but good!)

I sold an 8 year old one in excellent condition recently for $1200 on eBay. But I have also sold saddles before on Craigslist and Tack Trader.

maybe it is the area I am in too....