The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default when do you introduce the standing martingale to a young hunter

before you start jumping them? sooner? thoughts?

I'd use it a bit before jump schooling, a few rides anyway. It should not bother them or need much introduction if you adjust it properly and the horse is well broke to the bridle on the flat. It's only ever going to come into play if they evade and really get out of position above the bit. It's really just sort of a backstop, not something they will even notice if they are going properly.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

3 members found this post helpful.

It shouldn't be a big deal at all if properly fitted. When it fits correctly the horse should only feel the tug on their noseband if they stick their head pretty far up. A lot of my trainers greenies start in a martingale pretty soon. I useful as a grab strap in case of baby antics, and again it shouldn't interfere much if its fitted well.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

1 members found this post helpful.

Never. Unless they need one for some reason.

25 members found this post helpful.

Between the time when you think "If he does that again, he's going to hit me in the nose" and the time when he hits you in the nose.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

42 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Between the time when you think "If he does that again, he's going to hit me in the nose" and the time when he hits you in the nose.
    This. If they don't need one- don't use one. If they need one, once or twice before you jump, although as mentioned if properly fitted- shouldn't be an issue.

4 members found this post helpful.

I agree
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

If/when he shows you that he needs it.

What a silly fad to have every horse in the hunter ring in a standing martingale. It's supposed to be a training tool, not an accessory.

11 members found this post helpful.

Never understood why they became standard equipment on hunters.

Personally, I have never started a youngster that needed one. If they are tossing their head so high that they are going to hit you in the face.... Time to go back to the drawing board.

8 members found this post helpful.

May I just say how thrilled I am to see SO MANY correct responses to this question. (and yes, there IS a correct answer).
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

7 members found this post helpful.

I've heard of young horses hitting the end of it and freaking out, so with my ASB, who absolutely DID need one, I started him in one before he was ever even started under saddle. I figured if he hit the end and flipped over *I* sure didn't want to be on him, so I started him with it on long lines and kind of purposely set it up so he *did* hit the end of it a few times. He quickly figured out it was no big deal.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Unfortunately the standing martingale has become a standard 'crutch' to facilitate poor riding. It limits how high the horse can resist when riders hang on the horses' mouths. It's the flash noseband of the hunter ring.

I know some people who tell me that once I've had my nose broken with a neck coming at me quickly, I will put a martingale on every horse. These are the sorts of people who jump 4'+ regularly without helmets, so I'm not gonna say they are exactly geniuses....

I think the last time I put one on a horse was a 4 year old I took to a hunter pace. I threw it on the trailer last minute when it occurred to me "well I haven't really done too much with this horse, it ain't so broke, and I ain't so sure how this is gonna go, so maybe a martingale would be a good idea." Unfortunately, many riders feel the same way about their daily ride as I felt about that hunter pace.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    If/when he shows you that he needs it.

What a silly fad to have every horse in the hunter ring in a standing martingale. It's supposed to be a training tool, not an accessory.
    None of my horses have needed a standing martingale and they are never, ever ridden in one at home. But, unfortunately, my trainer is a slave to fashion and shows in one on each and every hunter he rides in the ring. This is one area that he and I had a "friendly" disagreement over. (I actually had to go out and buy standing martingales...I didn't even own one.) I still don't get it.

In my old age I've learned to pick my battles and I don't sweat the small stuff anymore.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

I feel ya, Go Fish, 45 years in the horse biz and I had never used one either (and also had to go out and buy one!). However, you'll never hear me kvetching about standings on horses who don't need them again, since everyone wearing them is the PERFECT disguise for a horse who really does need it!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Unfortunately the standing martingale has become a standard 'crutch' to facilitate poor riding. It limits how high the horse can resist when riders hang on the horses' mouths. It's the flash noseband of the hunter ring.
    A standing martingale doesn't find distances to the jumps or ask for lead changes. Just sayin'.

(I like the way they look, personally.)

I second this. Never used a standing, and don't plan on it unless I come across a horse I need it for. A trainer who wouldn't comply with my wishes on that matter when my horse doesn't need it would quickly be losing my business....

I am not a slave to fashion. I just like how they look, like a belt completes a look.

If you don't need one and don't want to put it on, don't.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Why would you need one? Why would you put a staning martingale on a horse for a "look"???
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

My horse just plain looks weird and AWKWARD without one on. He looks so naked in his front end and it completes the look. It's not doing any harm, if you don't like them, don't use one.
    As to the OP, I personally would introduce it a ride or two before jumping.

I school my horse without a martingale some days and with one other days. It doesn't make that big of a difference with him but I like how he looks with one better than without it.The martingale balances out a lot of horses necks and while that sounds pretty awful, its also a little bit what hunters is about. We all ride in D's and Martingales, its just how we do it and, if a judge responds well to it, its what we'll keep on doing.
    But when to put one on? Start with it on the flat and keep it a little long for a baby, if they're properly trained it shouldn't be a big deal, but just use your own discretion

2 members found this post helpful.