The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Tack Cleaning Question - How To Get Rid Of Mold

Like most folks, we tend to keep all our old stirrup leathers, bridle parts, worn out halters, etc. hanging on a wall in the tack room. Since we never use them they don't get much attention. That said, I was looking for an old stirrup leather to make into a neck strap (it's getting cool and my eventer is getting frisky) and discovered that much of this old stuff had mold on it. Not covered with it, but in splotches here and there.

So, what is the best way to clean this stuff and get rid of the mold? FYI, the tack room is a conditioned space in the barn but we live in the deep south and humidity is always high. TIA for any and all suggestions.

P.S. Any tips on how to prevent the mold from returning would be appreciated also.

White vinegar.

Wipe off the dry mold you can see with a paper towel or something else you'll throw away.

Then go over the whole thing with white vinegar. It doesn't have to be dripping wet, but you need to get every part of the leather wet with the vinegar.

Let dry and then clean or condition (or oil or whatever) as you would.

You may have to do this more than once, especially if you plan to return it to the mold's domain.

Oh, and I have seen people mix up white vinegar and some diluted White Lightning-- the stuff you'd use to kill fungus involved in White Line Disease.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

After the vinegar, rub in some Kocholine and let the leather sit for a couple of days before using.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

We have had some luck using the old fashioned Lysol, the
    type that comes in a small bottle and is diluted in water.
    Clean the tack, use water with the lysol as a final rinse
    for the tack, let it dry and then reoil the tack. The lysol
    is pretty effective at killing molds and such.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I have had luck with mixing Neem Oil with EVOO for oiling tack, then spray lightly with Lysol spray and wipe dry.

I just clean my tack the regular way. Down here in Louisiana it gets mold spots if you don't ride for 3-4 days, so I have to deal with it all the time (un-air-conditioned tack room, ugh!). I just use my little glycerine bar and a sponge. Works fine, and the mold doesn't grow back on the tack when I bring it home to hang out in really gross weather.

I recently learned that hydrogen peroxide kills mold safely on tack from the company I purchased my saddle from. I have tried pine sol but it certainly dried out the tack to the point I am having a hard time getting it soft again. So will certainly try the peroxide next time!
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love the hydrogen peroxide idea!

I use Leather Therapy, which is supposed to help inhibit mold growth.

I store my tack in bridle bags or some type of nylon bags. I use Damp Rid sachet packets in the bags and that really does a great job at keeping the mold growth at bay. It takes a lot longer to get mold growth on my stored tack than if I didn't use the Damp Rid.

I used really watered down bleach. Worked like a charm. And it didn't really dry out my tack all that much but the tack was quite dry to begin with. Just make sure you give it a good oil afterwards!

I will have to try some of these other ideas, but I have always cleaned the tack as normal, but added some Listerine or vinegar to the water. Then I usually oil it or use something similar since it's a little drying (and it's usually neglected tack that could use some anyway ). I am also a huge fan of DampRid - it may be just in my head, but I really think keeping some in the tack room cuts down on some of the mold.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've always used white vinegar.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Question: I have some tack that acquired mold from sitting in a damp house for many months. Would Peroxide to clear the mold out and veggie oil to condition it work out okay? I have used veggie oil in the past to condition leather and it worked out alright. It did darken a headstall a shade or two but not so bad that I care.

Veggie oil can break down your stitching, so use caution on what tack you use it on!
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

FWIW, I love Passier Lederbalsam the best for conditioning leather. It does a wonderful job of "bringing back" neglected tack. Obviously, if the tack is dry rotted or permanently ruined, it won't fix that.

I had a whole pile of that kind of tack - stuff that had hung up for ages without being used - old stirrup lealthers, reins, halter or two, bridles that were too nice to throw out, but not in use, etc.

I brought the whole armful into the kitchen. Put it in a sinkful of warm water with a little vinegar in it. rubbed a bit with my hands, swished it and then laid it on the counter on an old towel and blotted dry.

Then I sprayed generously with Leather New. Let it soak in and then just wiped it all down with an old piece of towel. Didn't take long as it was not really dirty and I was not picky. Quick, quick.

It may be that vinegar is not the best for the stitching, but I couldn't tell and this stuff issss up to 30 years old!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

If you have some good quality conditioner but it is a bit thick, I put mine in a bowl of hot water and it makes it much easier to apply but does not lose its richness. Stubben Hamanol becomes much more user friendly.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique