The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question help- photo hosting sites- recommendations?

I had all my photos in different albums on webshots -handy because I could link just the farm album, for example , in ads re horse business

As of tomorrow, webshots is no more. Everything was supposed to be transferred to "Smile" but they are having technical difficulties. Also, there are no albums on smile.

Can anyone recommmend a user friendly alternative that will allow me to link to albums similar to webshots?

I don't want to use FB for this.

I use and love Flickr. However, if you want to have more than about 200 photos, you need a Pro account @ $24.95 a year. Well worth it for me since I take and share lots of pictures.

Flickr and Photobucket are pretty decent for that sort of thing.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

I like Photobucket

Another vote for Photobucket. I use Flickr too, but Flickr is more like a social network for photos; the site is designed to let you "friend" other Flickr users and stay current on their photography too. For the more basic application of "I just want somewhere to dump my photos online so that I can link to them," I say Photobucket all e way.

I have a couple thousand photos on photobucket.It's free and now they have a bunch of neat features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I love photobucket, have been using it for years. I have just under 2000 photos uploaded and it is only 12% of the storage space!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Nest View Post
    I love photobucket, have been using it for years. I have just under 2000 photos uploaded and it is only 12% of the storage space!
    back in the day, they used to have bandwidth restrictions, but I have not come across any in years.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    back in the day, they used to have bandwidth restrictions, but I have not come across any in years.
    Yeah, I do remember that and at one point considered upgrading to a pro account to hold all my photos but then it opened up more. I think they have file size restrictions but they are super reasonable (not over 1 MB or less than 1024x764)

We use smugmug. Smugmug rocks
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Nest View Post
    Yeah, I do remember that and at one point considered upgrading to a pro account to hold all my photos but then it opened up more. I think they have file size restrictions but they are super reasonable (not over 1 MB or less than 1024x764)
    I think the average user won't notice.

Ugh, I HATE photobucket's layout. Ugly ugly ugly. And when I am clicking through an album, I OFTEN have issues where it stalls out and I have to reload the entire page. Every 3 - 4 photos. Usually I just don't bother and close the window.

I, too, am sad about webshots going belly up. I don't know who I am going to use, but here's a whole list of potentials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aring_websites

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Ugh, I HATE photobucket's layout.
    That. I've had an account there too, but find Photobucket to have a clumsy and annoying design. And that's after they've redone the site 2 or 3 times. Of course, I also had a Webshots at one time, and then that got crappy too. A long ago version of Yahoo Photos (also defunct now) and Flickr are the only two photo sharing sites I have loved.

Depending on how many photos you want to share, and how many people you want to share them with, I would reccomend dropbox. Super easy to use. I totally love this site; I have been sharing photos with barn buddies (and they have been sharing with me) from a recent horse show. So far, it has been working for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Ugh, I HATE photobucket's layout. Ugly ugly ugly. And when I am clicking through an album, I OFTEN have issues where it stalls out and I have to reload the entire page. Every 3 - 4 photos. Usually I just don't bother and close the window.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...aring_websites
    I do agree that photobuckets layout is kind of bleh, but it does suit the need of the op here and it simple enough to use and link to for what they are doing. But yes, I can't stand the layout myself lol. I do have loading issues every now and again but I have that with other photo storage sites too so I can't say it's strictly a photobucket thing.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Thanks so much for all replies. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was seeking.

Now I need to check them all out!

I am sad about webshots because it worked well for me and effing "Smile" gag is not going to work for me. I hope everyone who had photos on webshots has saved their photos elsewhere because "smile" after promising nothing would be lost and would be automatically transferred to Smile gag cut me loose Nov 30!! with webshots closing dec 1 - with msg so sad technical difficulties can't transfer your photos. gee thanks.

Good luck. Photobucket is the only such site I've ever used. I had a few problems with it such as not being able to reorganized the order of photos in an album. However, they've recently upgraded, and it looks easier to use. You can make links to your stuff private or protect them with passwords, which is what I do most of the time.

I am one of the handful of people in the world not on FB, so I used Photobucket constantly to share photos with friends and family. I really like it.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne