The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Joint injections/timing/Pentosan

My mare had her rear ankle injected on Tuesday evening. Fancy lameness vet said to keep her stalled for one day, turn-out the next day, hand walk the next day, ride her the next day (that's today), return to normal tomorrow. She felt better at a walk but still a bit off at a trot today.

So......questions?

How long has it taken for your horse/s to get to maximum improvment after a steroid injection to the joint?

I'm considering adding Pentosan, because she is 16, and if she has arthritic changes in this joint, chances are that there are or will be others. When would you do that? My vet doesn't seem to really be familiar with Pentosan, and fancy lameness vet thinks she is fine with just the injection, since she "just does trails". Since we ride pretty hard, I want her as good as she can be. She's my perfect match of a heart horse, so I also want her to feel as good as she can, riding or not.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    My mare had her rear ankle injected on Tuesday evening. Fancy lameness vet said to keep her stalled for one day, turn-out the next day, hand walk the next day, ride her the next day (that's today), return to normal tomorrow. She felt better at a walk but still a bit off at a trot today.

So......questions?

How long has it taken for your horse/s to get to maximum improvment after a steroid injection to the joint?

I'm considering adding Pentosan, because she is 16, and if she has arthritic changes in this joint, chances are that there are or will be others. When would you do that? My vet doesn't seem to really be familiar with Pentosan, and fancy lameness vet thinks she is fine with just the injection, since she "just does trails". Since we ride pretty hard, I want her as good as she can be. She's my perfect match of a heart horse, so I also want her to feel as good as she can, riding or not.
    My "fancy" lameness vets say to allow a full week to ten days to determine the effectiveness of joint injections, longer (two to three weeks) for SIs and necks.

As far as the Pentosan is concerned, I say go for it. My show horses get it twice a month but if your trail horse is working hard then of course she would benefit from it. We have several retired horses on it as well. It's cheap, effective and easy to administer.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

I would hold off on the Pentosan for a week or two so that you can see how well the joint injection worked.
    friend of bar*ka

My "fancy" lameness vets say to allow a full week to ten days to determine the effectiveness of joint injections, longer (two to three weeks) for SIs and necks.

That's great news. I didn't want to think that tomorrow was as good as it gets.
    I call him that (his actual name is Dr. Hammock) because he's not my regular vet. He isn't really a fancy guy, but he does work on fancy horses (other than mine, obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    I would hold off on the Pentosan for a week or two so that you can see how well the joint injection worked.
    I was thinking that - because I wouldn't really know what was working, although at this point, if she is better, I'd be happy, either way.