The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Amigo Bravo 12 -anyone cut off the metal rectangles for the neck cover?

Just bought one of these for my Arab mare. I know I will never use a neck cover for her. I like how the turnout fits (I bought the 100gm)........but was wondering if I should simply cut off the webbing that holds the metal rectangles to attach the neck cover. I don't want them to rub on and get caught on her mane. Has anyone else done this? Also, is the drop on these turnouts pretty long? The 72 fits her well, but it seems a little long on her. I have an Amigo 600D sheet for her and the drop is shorter. In front, it ends up just a couple of inches above her knee.

Instead of cutting them off, could you use a stitch ripper to remove the webbing that holds them in place?

Personally, I love the neck covers. They come in handy on rainy days for turnout so your horses neck doesn't get soaked. You might want to keep it for that purpose.

I haven't had the metal tabs rub out any of my horses manes if that helps!

I immediately cut off the rectangular metal "rings" on all my Amigo/Rambo blankets. It's an incredibly stupid design, putting those inside the neck opening. The pricier Rambo Supreme turnouts fixed the issue by replacing the internal metal rings with external velcro. If you ever need to bundle her up to the jowl, that's the one to get.

I put Amigo blankets on a couple of puny Arabians, and the drop is ridiculously long. As are the belly straps. But the fit and waterproofiness can't be beat.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

1 members found this post helpful.

No reason you can't cut them off. Several of my blankets have them, and never had rubbing issues, but I'm not of the long hair discipline so manes are kept hunter short around here. Some of the Horseware blankets do have longish drops, which is great for my broader horses. I only worry if the belly straps are too low or if the tail strap gets hock height or lower, as I wouldn't want anyone getting tangled.

Thanks, everyone, you all brought up some good points. I don't like the design either, and I didn't know the blanket had them until I tried it on. I'll have to look at the stitching, I'm afraid the blanket trim will unravel if I try to pull out the threads for the loops that hold the metal rectangles. I'm thinking of returning it anyway, as Crone mentioned, I think the drop is too long on my little gal, and I also think the belly straps are too long. Can you all refresh my memory? The front of the blanket comes down to about 2-3 inches above her knee, and about 2 inches from her hock. Tail strap seems okay. But the belly straps at their tightest seem to leave too much room (I can fit more than a vertical hand's width between the bottom of her belly and the top of the straps.........is that the "gold" standard for measuring that?

i use the 75 1200D Amigo on my 15h Conneamra and on him it looks like a long dress he wears it as it fits perfectly otherwise, but the drop is long. His regular Amigo isnt as long.....

as for the Metal Tabs.... be careful unstitching them because it might create holes in the blanket for water to get thru. If i were going to get rid of them i would just clip the rings with an appropriate tool.

as for the velcro for neck covers - that is an old design and really sucked. Horseware actually replaced one of my rambos because how one of those blankets was wearing....

hopefully they no longer will use velcro there!