The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Belly Guard Girth and Running Martingale Question

I bought a belly guard girth and I am wondering how I will attach my running martingale? I have heard I can put a clip on the ring of the girth to attach my martingale however I don't like the look of this. Are there other options? Does someone make an attachment?

you could put a snap onto the end of the running martingale then attach that onto your girth ring. http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/524..._snap_hook.jpg
    that's the type I had on mine before I got a girth with a carabiner on it!

I don't think you'll be able to get around having a clip if you're using a belly guard girth that doesn't have a carabiner or leather loop with a buckle on it. The other option to keep it neat and tidy is to use a normal girth and a slip on belly guard but that takes more work to put on and take off and you probably already have the girth.

I'd go for what Baby used or a carabiner between the end of the martingale and the girth ring.

I am reading that you only have a ring on your girth, not a ring and leather loop?
    http://customequestrian.ca/store/images/SA03.jpg

If so maybe you can take it to a leather repair person and get a leather loop added. While the picture above shows the loop embedded into the leather, i have had ones whereat is held downy another piece of leather across it. Cqnt find a picture of that though.

Quote Originally Posted by LordWentworth View Post
    The other option to keep it neat and tidy is to use a normal girth and a slip on belly guard but that takes more work to put on and take off and you probably already have the girth.
    Do you have any examples of the belly guard attachments? I am looking into a belly guard for my guy as I often have to put studs in him even in decent footing. However, we do sometimes double in the eq and I already have a nice leather girth
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by woodhillsmanhattan View Post
    Do you have any examples of the belly guard attachments? I am looking into a belly guard for my guy as I often have to put studs in him even in decent footing. However, we do sometimes double in the eq and I already have a nice leather girth
    Just a quick google search for a pic but they look like this
    http://www.valleyvet.com/swatches/21730_L_500_vvs.jpg

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/prodimg/prestbellyguard.jpg

Before you run out and spend tons of money on a belly guard, ask yourself if he's the type of jumper that really needs one. So many people these days use belly guards on horses that don't have that jumping style at all, and the girths are a little expensive to throw around money like that. If he tends to jump more huntery, as opposed to tucking his legs underneath him in the air, you probably don't need one (and this is coming from someone who pretty much always has caulks in to jump and does not have a belly guard girth).

Mine isn't with me right now but I can take pics of it at some point. It is pretty much what the others have shown. I like it because it was much much cheaper (you can find pretty nice ones for under $100) than getting a new girth and can be used with pretty much any sized girth so if you ride lots of horses it may be a good option.