The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ever have 2 surgical procedures done at once?

I am having a surgical consult next week for my horse who has OCDs in his stifle and is also a roarer. I have talked to a bunch of surgeons, some say only one procedure should be done at a time because of the time under anesthesia. The surgeon I am currently working with said both could be done at once.

I would like to get both both procedures done and get everything over with, but only if it is not going to be too stressful for the horse. He is 7 and in good health. Has anyone had multiple procedures done at once? If so, how did it turn out? Of course I will eventually follow the sugeon's advice but I am just curious. Thanks!

No, I have not. But how stressful will it be for YOU?
    I would be running back and forth worrying if he is pain, but not knowing where to focus. But that's me.
    If I did this (im not saying you should do this) I'd probably leave him in the hospital until both sites are well on their way to healing without needing deep consistent care. But that is me, I do get stressed about my animals.

I haven't but my horse is also a roarer. My vet (UC Davis) said that the laser procedure for roaring is quicker than the tie-back method. Which method was suggested for your horse? If it were me, I'd have both done at the same time.

Anesthesia is always risky. If doing both procedures at the same time doesn't make it too long, that would be my preference. This is especially true if they can be done at the same time (two surgeons working simultaneously). This only works if the horse can be positioned to work on both areas at the same time (not always possible). Then the time would be extended very little.

I have heard of doing surgery on both legs at the same time. Actually when one of our fillies had OCD surgery I believe both hocks were done at the same time.

A orthopedic surgeon also told me of a horse he had to do pastern arthrodesis surgery on both hinds at the same time and major injury. That horse eventually returned to athletic soundness and is now the best horse he has.

Thanks for the replies! I haven't asked if they are doing the laser or a tie-back; surgeon was on his way to surgery and I only spoke with him a few minutes. That is one of the questions I will ask on Tuesday. I really hope it is laser, as I heard the tie-back can fail.

The risk of putting him under twice is one reason I want to do this at one time. One surgeon recommended they do one procedure, then do the other one a few days later. THAT would make me very nervous! I don't believe the positioning is the same for both procedures so they can't be done simultaneously.

It has been a while but as I recall I asked about that once. I was not trying to be "cheap", I just think anethesia is hard on them. Anyway, as I recall, one procedure called for lots of antibiotics and the other some steroids, and they did not want to mix these up.
    friend of bar.ka