The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone with experience in competing in Jumpers and Eventing?

Background: I have a very athletic but very sensitive saddlebred/tb mare that I compete in the 3'6" jumpers and she's very competitive at that height. Towards the end of this past season a friend of mine convinced me to go to a few schooling events and both the horse and I ended up LOVING it. I used to school xc, fox-hunt, and trail ride my past few horses so i am relatively confident with it. She was timid with the xc but very willing to give everything a try expecially the second time out.

My question: Is it possible to compete in both without confusing and overwelming the horse? I would like to try and do one AA jumper show and one event each month for the 2013 season.

Any success or failure stories will be gratefully appreciated.

Well my situation is a bit different because I mainly event in the eventing season (typically May through October up here) and do the 3'3" jumpers in the winter (December to March) so I don't know about overwhelming the horse by doing them both at the same time. I really think it will depend on your horse. Try it and see how she does. The two are not all that different so she may be fine. I think my horse would appreciate the change up once in a while but you'll have to see how yours reacts. I'm sure she'll let you know her opinion, they have a way of making themselves known But I'm glad you're loving eventing, welcome to the dark side!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

We (or rather my trainer) does with the stallions.... although up to this year he uses schooling (as opposed to rated) jumper shows as warm ups for events. The stallions are all pretty much competing at Prelim or above and the jumper shows are at 3'6" give or take (depending on what is offered). We are talking about taking some of the boys to a few rated shows this year too just for kicks and grins .
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

i can't imagine how that would confuse a horse! I don't do it seriously, but I will often hit up a jumper show then go to an event the next week. Nothing confusing about it. My horse is usually happy we get to jump and not do the stuff between the little white fence. Although, occasionally, he does get cranky that he doesn't go to xc after show jumping

Unless you're doing big enough jumper classes where open water obstacles are present, I can't see how "cross training" and competing in both disciplines could be anything but a win-win situation. Both are supposed to be FUN, right? So do what makes you happy!

I used to take my old Prelim mare to H/J shows and put her in the 3'6" or 3'9" hunter classes, do a couple of jumper rounds and even an equitation or adult medal just for fun. She was great in all of them, although we never pinned high in the hack because she didn't have that sweepy hunter trot.

I am, in fact, going to a little jumper show tomorrow, since eventing season is over up here but the snow hasn't fallen yet!
    Click here before you buy.

Yes, you can easily cross over without a problem. Train for both. If you and your horse are already familiar with the jumpers, then you are a step ahead. Just make sure you take your time to introduce the cross country to him. Don't skip that training even though he already knows how to jump. We have two horses right now that are competing in both. Both moved into prelim at the end of this year, but also did the 5yr Young Jumper Series on the "A" circuit. So they were doing the 1.20m The one did a derby that was 1.20-1.25 and also had open water. We took the time to make sure he really understood the open water. No problems when he went to the derby, and no problems when he went back to his next event with jumping into it. Just remember to take your time and school the questions so that they are clear on what you are asking for. It will only make you and him better. Good luck

Yes it si perfectly doable.

I hae done it the other way, starting with a horse that is eventing and adding show jumping.

Just don't think that, because you are jumping 3'6" in the ring, you should start at Prelim.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

2 members found this post helpful.

there was a year or so when I was a junior I did the 3'9'' working hunter division and a couple novice events with a mare. Before that, I was always a poor child, so I would often do a few jumper classes at the local h/j shows to supplement the as many events I could afford (it was usually 2-3/year).

many eventers also do jumpers. I rode my TB in the children's jumpers and training level eventing at the same time. Doesn't confuse the horse! They just find stadium jumping easier! I had clear rounds for every stadium jumping phase.

You know I think this is what bugs me about some of the perspectives currently in favor. It used to be we were all "riders" now more and more we see divisiveness in terms of "Hunters" or "Jumpers" or "eventers" or "Dq's." I am still a "rider" and my horse and I do whatever discipline that looks like fun on the schedule.

I combine jumper shows, hunter paces, fox hunting and indeed also using him as a lesson horse. Lad isn't confused. Petey, at 4 yr old, is not confused. They understand the job is what I ask for on the day.

They're trained at home with dressage basics of flatwork, but definitely working on balancing and pushing from back to front and not obsessing on the "on the bit all the time" fad. Lad's flatwork for the bigger jumper classes is tougher now than what we were doing when we evented full time. We school jumps both on long straight approaches, but also angles, broken lines and trotting fences.

I can imagine that horses could get confused if you never vary your home routine, but ultimately a horses job is to comply with reasonable requests from the rider. Now I am not saying your OTTB should jump a 5'+ puissance wall when you've never jumped more than 2'. Nor should you expect a perfect piaffe from your childrens hunter. But overall the more variety, the more rounded and useful the horse.

I just am not a fan of "My horse can only do X." Horses are capable of so much when approached with an open and patient mind. Limiting this seems detrimental to all involved.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

2 members found this post helpful.

A child who can afford a horse and horse shows in any form is not "poor".

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree xcountrygirl! My horses have always been all rounders. The TB I mentioned didn't do just jumpers and eventing, he also did:

hunters
    medals / eq.
    fox hunts / hunter paces
    taught pony club kids
    trail riding
    AND
    a little team penning- he found chasing cows fun!

but mostly we evented.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    agree! But I my dad and I did live in a trailer so I could have a horse. Kept him at a neighbors old dairy farm for $60 a month - then did summers as a working student so that I could work off board at the fancy place. Clipping horses, cleaning tack, pet sitting etc helped pay for shows.

Trainer took me under her wing and made a lot of things possible - generous barn mates were the source of hammy down tack and show clothes (usually "bought at way below market).

While FAR from the national poverty line, my family's income was light years away from most that I rode with.

Now as an adult I realize all the sacrifices my single dad made so that I could have, and compete with my horse, its really humbling!

So while agree, no one can be "poor" and afford a show horse, there are some who are far from wealthy.

I think it's good for them to do other stuff. Our horses go to Pony Club, local showjumping and dressage comps. We use the comps as "schooling for the eventer." We don't expect to do well at the dressage comps, but I do think it's great for the horses to go to a competition environment and NOT do xc. Especially at a 2 day show. You can see them thinking, "What???? Dressage AGAIN???"

I'm not familiar with the different heights in the US, but we would always event at a lower level than showjumping. My daughter's young horse is competing her young horse Prelim (95cm) eventing, but showjumping him at 1.05 - 1.10. We won't speak of his dressage! :-)

I keep meaning to write up a story on my farrier: this is a guy who breeds his own horses, with deep ties in the Amish community and a strong preference for big Gelderlander-types with lots of action and horses that will work all day. His current horse, which he bred, is first and foremost a horse he uses for commercial carriage driving. He got hooked on eventing a few years ago and brought the horse along slowly in that discipline. He works HARD at it, not having taken lessons as a youngster (although he is a horseman through and through) and takes EVERY opportunity to go to a clinic, a show, or take a lesson with someone, no matter their discipline.

He and his Saddlebred-Dutch Harness-Clydesdale (I think I have that right) cross are currently competing (and in the ribbons, often winning) at Training level, they whip my butt at dressage shows on a regular basis, the horse still pulls a carriage on weekends (to fund the eventing!), they do some driving shows, jumpers, and this year he's going to take the horse out and try team penning! The horse jumps whatever is put in front of him, is always happy to work and will do anything for his owner. He doesn't know the meaning of "hot house flower". They are inspirational to me!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I didn't have a horse until I could afford one (on my own) at the age of 23. I worked my butt off cleaning stalls, feeding, braiding, slave, etc to just be able to ride. Because of my ability to ride the horses no one else wanted to I was able to use said horses to show - which I paid for with my other jobs (waitressing, McDonalds, etc). I was VERY lucky, but we were poor - Mommy and Daddy did not fund my horseback riding, ever.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

My horse Jive came to me with an eventing background. I rode him with a HJ trainer who had a strong eq background and did HJEq at the local shows and jumpers at rated shows. He went on group trail rides. Eventually, I ended up eventing him through training level and was doing 3'6" jumpers at the same time. Probably the best HJ season I had on him was the summer that was bookended by two events.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I'm not an eventer, but one of my good friends is and he frequently ships in for lessons with my trainer and shows with us at the jumper shows. I think it really improves his stadium phase when he gets some extra jumper rides in!

His horse is another one of those who will do everything - he does prelim eventing, the 3'6'' to 3'9'' jumpers, and even played with me in a hunter derby over the summer.

xctrygirl, I <3 you!!!!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Some top eventers do. Check out Doug Payne's blog and Kate Chadderton.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!