The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fencing Suggestions Please

I tried to find posts about this, but its not specifically addressing my questions.
    So I have 4 horses in about 4 acres of fencing. I want to put up more fencing, but I am looking to find out what the best idea is. When I purchased my farm, I spent a LOT of money on 3 rail flexible rails w/high tensile inside, 6 foot high posts pounded in the ground (6 foot out of the ground), and a hot wire on top. I have a 2 year old and 3 year old that seem to be the problems. I have gotten a phone call at work, and saw it once for myself, the 3 year old, who is about 16.1 hands, goes in between the 1st and 2nd rail and just gets out.
    Unfortunately, in my neighborhood, people starting building more and more expensive homes, so I can't have the horses getting out. I have read a lot of posts where people leave their horses out during the day while at work, and I would LOVE to cut down on the care/bedding and I think its healthier for them to be outside rather than in stalls on nice days, but frankly- Im scared. I know I can't leave them outside with the 3 year old getting out, and the 2 year old watching.
    I don't want wooden rails- too high maintence; I do have some extra horseguard fencing I was going to try for another smaller paddock. My one friend has 2 strand high tensile electric on T-posts and leaves her horses out all day and a lot of times at night. I was SHOCKED one day when one of her boarder's horses got loose, and was flying and bucking, until he came to the fence, skidded to a stop, and turned. I could picture mine tangled and cut in the fencing.
    Whatever I use, I believe it will be tested by them. (Grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side.) Any suggestions would be fantastic!

Can you just string hot wire in the middle of your fencing right now? If it's HOT, you'll see your own horses running, skidding and turning before the fence ;-) If your horse was a jumper, I might worry- but a creepy-crawler thru the fence? hot wire will stop him in his tracks.
    Kerri

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Kerri-
    That is what I planned for the existing fence, but I would like to do some completely new fencing, and I already know the flexible alone won't work! Maybe all hot wire high tensile? T posts? This seems soooo dangerous to me...sigh

If you want to do the hot high tensile, I would add the hot wire to your existing fence first and get them used to wire=hot. That way they'd be respectful of the new wire when they see it. JMO
    Kerri

If you use Horse Guard and keep it hot, your horses WILL RESPECT it. It is safer than any high tensile. If I were you, I would run a strand of Horse Guard between the strips your horse is pushing through, then sit back and watch the brat learn to stay off the fence.

We have miles of Horse Guard and (knock on wood) don't have horses get out. To me, the best thing about it is that if they do get in it it will break before the horse does. No cuts either.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDQhere View Post
    We have miles of Horse Guard and (knock on wood) don't have horses get out. To me, the best thing about it is that if they do get in it it will break before the horse does. No cuts either.
    That is a good suggestion. I haven't put the horse guard I have up yet, but that will be another small pasture (about the size of a riding ring) I can test with that! I want to fence in about another 2-3 acres. I am soooo protective of my guys, and I dont want to hurt them..but I would like to get to the point I can "set it and forget it"- put the horses out, go to work, everyones in, maybe shocked, but no blood, no worried while Im at work

I am in a similar situation as you. I have 2 high energy long yearlings and a two year old. They are in 2 acre field alone all day while I'm at work. I elected to go with 3 strands of Horse Guard bipolar tape and a top rail of wood for increased visibility. So far I am very happy with my fence. It is HOT and the horse's respect it. My fence is only 5 ' high, but my horses are dressage horses and I don't think they are inclined to try to jump it. We've had the horses at home for about 2 months now and have had only 2 "incidents". One was competley my fault. I unplugged the fence and left it unplugged for a few days. someone must have got caught up in the bottom line of Horse Guard as one section got really stretched out. No horses had a mark on them and the repair took just a few moments. The other "incident" was during a very loud and frightening thunderstorm. The crashes of lightening were so loud I almost fell out of bed with fright! My two year old went straight throught the fence, breaking the oak board and all three strands of horse guards. She must have been terrified to go straight through the fence. She had a little scrape of fur missing on her nose but otherwise was unharmed. It is a very safe fence.

I will say that I have 4 strands of 1.5" electric tape that I am perfectly happy with and confident that it is safe for my guys. But I have a friend with HorseGuard and if had it to do over again I would definitely be considering it!
    I only had one incident with the tape, from the "evidence" I have inferred that someone rolled too close to the fence and came up under the first strand. It was stretched out and there were hoof scrapes all over and then galloping divots away from the fence. Looks like it really spooked 'em (the fence was ON, so I'm sure that felt grrrreeaaat...) In any case, the damage was so slight I can't even be sure which horse it was.
    I agree with the other posters that suggest just hot wiring (or horse guarding) inbetween the existing fence. That should do the trick!

Exclamation

You don't need to put in T posts. They are an added expense, work and make me nervous.

I have a two rail pressure treated fence around my front acreage....the gaps between the posts are 12 feet and between the rails approximately 24-30 inches.

Needless to say this is a terrible temptation for the horse.

For CHEAP -(about .50 a piece) I bought these (they also came in white):
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/zareba-...ulator-3609845 , screwed them into each post in the middle between the rails (and would have also screwed them in the top flat surface of each POST (I meant to say post) if need be) and strung high tensile hot wire.

Oh ya baby.

Works like a damn for keeping the pigs in.

The biggest attraction for me for this type of insulator/wire support, was that you did not need to "thread" the wire thru a closed hole. You screw them all in - then walk along with your wire roll slipping it into the slot on the one side.
    Last edited by Lindsey-Rider; Nov. 30, 2012 at 08:57 PM.

I highly suggest using electrobrade. It is extremely safe and extremely effective. If a tree falls on it you just cut up the tree and the fence springs back to life. It has better visability and looks nicer, not to mention more safe, than high tensil. Comes with a 25 year warranty!
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

2 members found this post helpful.

Horseguard Horseguard Horseguard.

You CAN keep it really hot. I keep mine hot enough with a solar charger, but when my yearling was a weanling, last Winter, he kept testing and testing, so I temporarily put up an electric charger and boy did he learn a few lessons

Now, to be fair, he started testing because he discovered it was off one day. I had a bit of a run of bad luck of having some connections breaking in places where wire was run under fences, then deer took down the top 2 strands in a place that I don't see often, so it wasn't like he started testing a hot fence LOL

Thanks everyone! Yeah, even though he is a 3 year old booger- he will learn when its on and not. I have some chargers- just gotta make sure he knows their purpose

Second the electrobraid. I love it.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

What would be best on top of 200 feet of wood fence already there? My horse pushed a rail off and made it into my neighbor's lovely yard. I like those ring insulators and have a nearby Tractor Supply store. What is a cheap kind of wire and battery/solar charger - wire needs to go out one way and stop. Thanks!

I just put in a paddock at our new place and went with 48" Red Brand no-climb topped with line of Horse Guard tape. I plan to use this on all perimeter fencing. I'll use 2 or 3 strands of Horse Guard for cross fencing and tracks, but this perimeter fence lets me relax while I'm off the property. We have a pretty busy highway not far away, and a lot of deer that come through the area. I knew that I wanted a solid fence with electric backup.
    Akal Ranch Blog - http://akalranch.com/
    Simrat Khalsa Fine Art & Photography - http://www.simratkhalsa.com/

Quote Originally Posted by prudence View Post
    What would be best on top of 200 feet of wood fence already there? My horse pushed a rail off and made it into my neighbor's lovely yard. I like those ring insulators and have a nearby Tractor Supply store. What is a cheap kind of wire and battery/solar charger - wire needs to go out one way and stop. Thanks!
    Horseguard has kits that allow you to string a strand of tape held off the fence by extensions. Or, you can run cheap low tensile wire, also held off the fence with an extender. Of course, both need to be hot