The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Open front jumper boots for the pony of substantial bone? Pony people?

We recently leased a new pony for DS, pony is a 14 hh Connemara and he is a substantial (and darling) boy! I bought open front pony jumper boots for him and have to return them as the velcro straps are too short to properly secure. So I then tried some regular horse sized Eskadrons and they are too long for his cannon bone.

That boy has some bone on him! Any suggestion for protective boots? Not keen on polos as my 10 yr old son can barely tie his shoes laces so that they don't come undone in 5 minutes, I'm not trusting him with polos.

(Besides, I seriously doubt that polos do a damn thing at all but I can only admit that on the HJ forum, my dressage riding friends would be aghasted...)
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

This is sort of a roundabout way, but what about open-front hind boots? I know Eskadron makes hind boots that are identical to the front boots, but I believe are a little taller/have more elastic (since most horses have more bone back there). If you could find a pony-sized pair of those, it could be a happy medium.

Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.eskadron.org.uk/horse-boots/fetlock-boots/#

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    This is sort of a roundabout way, but what about open-front hind boots? I know Eskadron makes hind boots that are identical to the front boots, but I believe are a little taller/have more elastic (since most horses have more bone back there). If you could find a pony-sized pair of those, it could be a happy medium.

Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.eskadron.org.uk/horse-boots/fetlock-boots/#
    My info could be outdated as it's been almost 10 years since my pony jumper days, but I remember looking for tall back boots for my pony and being told my Eskadron that they didn't make them in that size. Granted, this could have changed since '02.

Have you tried Equifit boots, OP? They're a bit less "structured", so they might give you the needed give. They come in a small-medium size which would probably fit a large pony, and Equifit is really good about returns/exchanges on sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    We recently leased a new pony for DS, pony is a 14 hh Connemara and he is a substantial (and darling) boy! I bought open front pony jumper boots for him and have to return them as the velcro straps are too short to properly secure. So I then tried some regular horse sized Eskadrons and they are too long for his cannon bone.

That boy has some bone on him! Any suggestion for protective boots? Not keen on polos as my 10 yr old son can barely tie his shoes laces so that they don't come undone in 5 minutes, I'm not trusting him with polos.

(Besides, I seriously doubt that polos do a damn thing at all but I can only admit that on the HJ forum, my dressage riding friends would be aghasted...)
    Well yes I AM aghasted!!!

but will share FP's Secrets to Successful Booting for the Cob Leg

Open Fronts: Schockemoehle leather open fronts (bought these through the Equestrian Factory Outlet), you might also try Veredus (I think the Pro Classic fit the best)

Polos: Eskadron Pony are lovely to handle - much easier than some of the other fleece fabrics - & are inbetween other company pony sizes & horse sizes.

Check out N.E.W's jumping boots - FP has brushing boots that actually fit AND last.

Woof Wear will likely have a boot to fit as well.

ie most UK shops will have boots to fit the typical cob leg

Measure pony's legs front & back, width x height, & then measure any boots before taking them home
    This seems so obvious but we brought home alot of boots & no one in the shops ever suggested measuring

Thanks for the tips, I didn't realize open fronts came in different sizes and measurements (duh!)

I will check out some of the brands mentioned.

Having open front jumper boots is probably overkill for the level of jumping DS is doing anyway but he thinks they are both necessary and cool and when a boy actually wants to ride, well, I am prepared to buy some extra equipment!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.