The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Albany to Portland ME - tack shops?

Hitting the road soon for Maine. Anyone recommend any good tack shops from Albany, along 90 then 495 through Mass, then 95 to Portland? Thanks!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Off that straight track a bit, but I always love an opportunity to go to Double G in Lebanon, ME. http://www.doublegtack.com/

They have lots of used tack and consignment clothing as well as a markdown room. They carry new items for both English and western riding.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have the Double G on my list for this month. How good is it really ?

When I was there last spring (May) the consignment rooms were so full they weren't taking any new items until after June 30. Those rooms are packed! And they are not neatly arranged so be prepared to dig. In the past I've gotten brown field boots for $40.00, breeches for $15-$25 and a western show shirt for $30. I've come close to buying a western saddle (for trail riding, not show) for $400, but it didn't fit my horse so I had to return it; they offer a 7 (or was it 10?) day trial on consignment saddles. Oh, and a couple of years ago I bought a brand new Berney Brothers all purpose saddle for $700. I have friends who have found their growing children both show and every day clothes, but, as I said, you have to be willing to pick through tightly packed hanging items and lots of piles. One friend got a great deal on used jointed stirrup irons. When they have their spring yard sale day, there are some really good deals on new items. I got some nice Kerrits breeches at 20% off. That day there is also usually a "tent" sale with some deeply discounted items; a friend got a nice white dressage show pad for $15. I also bought two Tuff Rider saddle pads for under $20 each; it was the best price I'd seen for those particular pads.

All that good said, I wouldn't go there for blanket shopping; I find their blanket prices quite steep.

Another vote for Double G Tack - it's just over the NH border in Lebanon, ME. They carry just about everything for every discipline. You'll find a ton of stuff there that Dover would never carry or Smartpak either. Prices are decent - you can always find a bargain there. I don't find that their blanket prices are high but then again i haven't paid full-price for a blanket in years. They carry a lot of brands for everything (except Rambo's - haven't seen those there but I have seen the Amigo line). They always mark down their blankets at the end of the season - I picked up a couple that were 30% off back in the spring - got some really good deals. I find that they carry stuff that is hard to find in addition to the everyday stuff. They also have a feed store that has the Purina line (though I'm a TC or BS user) - they do carry bagged shavings too. Given a choice between Dover and Double G - well it will always be Double G and both are equal distance from my place.

There is also Adams Horse Supply in Winthrop, ME - I haven't been to their store though I'd like too. They always seem to have good deals/sales.
    Last edited by ryansgirl; Nov. 28, 2012 at 05:22 AM.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Not to be picky, but it is in Lebanon, ME not Lebanon, NH.

If you are on 495 in MA you can get off at 125/121 and hit up the dover satellite store in tax free plastow NH. It is maybe 15 minutes off 495

You're going right by Dover Saddlery in Plaistow, NH. It's just off of 495, right over the MA border.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-library/a/349/

They've got a basement bargain section that's hits and misses, but always worth checking out!

If you want to go out of your way a bit, SmartPak is in Natick, MA. Again, they have a bargain section (2nd floor) that is worth looking.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/store.aspx

The customer service at both is fantastic!

Horseman's exchange is less then a mile from the 495 off ramp in Littleton

Not on your route, but just 15 minutes north of Portland on Rt1 there is Freeport Tack Shop. It's fairly small but very cute. Plenty of high quality but affordable items, cute gifts, and a selection of used tack and apparel. Plus, the people are really nice and one of the main associates has the cutest Shelties who hang out in the store! I'd also hit up Dover Saddlery in Plaistow...love the bargain basement!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Cool! These are great! And I just got an escrow check from my mortgage company!! Ho!Ho!Ho!

Stop at Springdale Farm Tack shop just off the Portland North turnpike exit. This is a small 'new and used' tack shop--with a bit of everything. Stuff you need-stuff you didn't know you need. Nooks and crannys full of---

Western and English. Gifts. Kids clothing. Saddles. Blankets.

207-797-4857

hours Friday & Saturday or by appointment
    The kind of place its fun to visit..
    Last edited by macmtn; Nov. 30, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Hit Springdale Farm Tack Shop, Double G, and Dover! Unfortunately, got a late start. The owner of Springdale doesn't normally open Thursdays, but she did for me, then I only had the last hour to shop at each of the other two. But got some things I really needed. And did some last minute Secret Santa shopping!

Definitely stopping at Dover again in the future. Hardly made a dent in the bargain basement. Really easy off 495, which I have to use every time I go to Maine. Double G was impressive, but a bit out of the way to get to, and you needed a mule to get up that road! With new tires and alignment, I crept along...

Thanks, everyone, for the info!

PS Toula, my gray female Irish Wolfhound loves her new pink coat from Dover's. Hopefully everyone will finally stop calling her a "him"!

I love that Dover. My sister lives 20 minutes away so whenever I visit her I pop in once or twice. I count myself lucky if I walk out of there for under $100.

The basement has yielded some steals (although sometimes it's strangely depleted): a really nice breastplace for $20, a dressage coat for $60, etc.

And I love the regular priced merchandise, too, because we don't get some things here in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Double G was impressive, but a bit out of the way to get to, and you needed a mule to get up that road! With new tires and alignment, I crept along...
    i LOVE double g! for a long time i had a jumping and a dressage saddle, both bought at double g for a combined total of $700. believe it or not, that road has been improved a LOT in the last few years...

Yep, the Dover in Plaistow is my favorite. I'm equidistant between two, that one and the original store in Wellesley. The Wellesley store is not worth a special visit...it's much smaller and there's not usually anything to speak of in the bargain area. The Plaistow store is big, well organized, usually heavily staffed and has a much bigger bargain section. No sales tax is a plus!

There's also a State Line Pet nearby if you need dog or cat stuff (State Line retail store no longer has much of any horse stuff). And, further up the same road State Line is on is a very interesting reptile store, if you are at all into that kind of thing . I bribe my 10 year old son with a visit to the reptile place to get him to go to Dover with me.