The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update on Eddo Hoekstra

Just got an email from Eddo. I'm going to copy and paste it here. Remember his left hand is still paralyzed and he is typing with one finger so it's hard to read, but I'd rather post his words directly than to paraphrase:

"hi rebecca, finally back on a horse, this was yesterday at the theraputic riding center. tricky still just sitting at a walk but i'm looking forwardto next week already.and got out of bed on my own this morning. yippeecrazy isn't itcan't wait to be 'normal again.have found many small improvements over the last week i'll keep going, this sunday i'll do a mini clinic-only three riders but still that's another step in the right direction. hope all goes well with you guysall my best, eddo"

Photo below.

More news. While we (Sonesta Farms and Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program and you guys on COTH with the online auctions) have so far raised about $7800 and he'll be getting a portion of the Leg-Up foal raffle, we were still well short of what was needed for an all terrain motorized wheelchair. After much discussion with Eddo, it was decided that instead of the wheelchair (which Eddo is absolutely doggedly determined not to need forever, no matter how hard he has to work and that would be a constant reminder of his condition and would eventually have to be sold WHEN [not if] he gets better) we decided that he could be sufficiently mobile getting a specialized Gator type 4-wheeler. It has a bench seat with seat belts, roll bar, regular steering wheel and pedals that he can use with his good right leg and arm. He is able to get from his regular wheelchair into it with just a bit of assistance and can motor around the farm and teach his lessons from it. So, that has been ordered and I'll get photos when it arrives!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eddoridingtherapy.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	37263  
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

3 members found this post helpful.

He looks great up there!

What a great idea on the gator.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."