The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had purchased a lime green halter for my mare.. which was WAY too big. for some reason I kept it. When a friend of mine was getting three rescued Morgans in I decided I would go take a look and see which one wanted to be mine.

I visited a dark bay Gelding who wanted nothing to do with me and my lime green halter. I visited a cute little mare, she was super tiny and the halter would have been WAY too big for her. So I visited a very dark chestnut, before I could even get in the gate his nose was in my halter. If he had hands he would have put it on himself. The halter fit perfectly and that was it for me, I was picked. He came home with me.

Well, I actually hated my horse the first time I rode him. And the second, and third, and probably for about 3 or 4 weeks of riding him twice a week. He was owned by a rescue, and was being fostered by the barn where I was taking lessons. I wanted to have some extra rides and they offered him to me as a way to get some practice time in for free. He was SUPER green (was 5, retired from the track at 3), and hadn't been made to do anything in at least a year.

HE WAS SO NAUGHTY. He had terrible separation anxiety from his herd buddy and all he did was buck and half-rear and whinny and try to run out of the ring. I could only ride him in the indoor, and when there was no other horse in sight. He also thought he was a stud and when pastured next to mares, couldn't be caught. I only put up with it because, hey, I get to ride for free!

Fast forward four months later, and his separation anxiety was basically completely gone, and instead of what had seemed like a terrible work ethic and naughtiness, he was awesome and sweet and loved being ridden. I finally realized that I was completely attached and didn't want anyone else to adopt him! So I did :-).

1 members found this post helpful.

Not a purchase, but a homebred. I had an 8 year old gelding who was injured at three and pretty much unrideable plus a two year old and three year old geldings, both out of our mare. We were expecting our last foal (decided we were done breeding) and this foal was always just supposed to be for sale. He decided to arrive about a week earlier than we expected, during the middle of the day while everyone was at work and his mother was turned out with the three idiot boys. I came home from work to find the mare and baby somehow in a stall (our barn has two stalls that have doors that open to the outside so they can come and go from the pastures) with the door shut behind them. When I went in the stall he just came walking right up to me like "Hi! I'm here! Who the heck are YOU??" and I was hooked. Decided then and there that he was mine and I sold the three year old instead. He's now eight and I still love him dearly, he's my heart horse. I've been asked several times if he's for sale and there's no way - the thought of a trailer pulling into my driveway to take him away makes me sick. He's with me for life.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

When the Heart speaks and the mind listens.....

First hack ride on my boy when I tried him out. I had ridden him once before in the arena and he was fine, had me intrigued. When we went out in the fields, he showed me his personality and that was it, he had to be mine!
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

I am shopping for a lime-green halter.