The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Would you clip this pony?

Val, the wonder pony, constantly has dirty back legs*. Now that its cold out, I can't exactly hose her down every day. So I do the hot water from the house/hot toweling method. I also use Green Spot Remover as well.

I'm wondering if clipping her back legs would be helpful, because right now, her hair is at least 3 inches long (pony+recovering cushings= major hair) so its hard to really get her clean.

I don't want to make her look ridiculous though, and I don't want to do an entire body clip. Although, I do have a winter turnout blanket for her.

Is there a type of clip out there that does the legs from the knee up? She already has an apron clip, minus the legs, to keep the girth area clean.

*I've ordered a probiotic in the hopes this helps, but to be honest, she doesn't seem to have loose stools. I think she just doesn't have good aim. lol

Here is the pooper in question.
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...5/IMAG0068.jpg

There is no clip that does the legs and nothing (or not much else) without making them look silly. You either need to clip her all over (like a show hunter), or just clip her legs. If she's not working, or not working very hard, I would just clip her legs and let her look silly.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about how it looks. It's a "medical concern" and the best way to address it is to clip. Looking silly beats the pants off of dealing with recurrent infections and the like. But do take pics so we can at least get a chuckle out of it.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

We had a WHITE pony-no idea what color he was when he started, we didn't meet him till he was 27-but he always had dribbly hind legs. He also had Cushings so his thigh hair was INCHES long. I clipped him from his hocks up into a point at the top of his tail. Just the part that got dribbly/slimey, so a swath from the inside of his thighs about a stretched-hand's-width outwards. Nice straight lines, symmetrical, up to just above the tail top.

Just had another thought-I fed this guy Purina Equine Senior. Once I started soaking his meals in hot water and serving them as mush, (3 meals a days) his dribbles decreased dramatically. Never figured out why but he evented till he was 34 and we put him down at 38....
    Last edited by RiverBendPol; Dec. 1, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Yea, I think...if I do it, I'm going to contour it with the way the leg moves. So really, unless you are looking at her from behind, you won't be able to see the clip job. More just the insides of the legs. Her lower leg is ok, its tail/butt/back of top of legs.

Tomorrow shall be the day!

I clip my guys however I think suits them best....looks be damned!

Here is my pony this winter.
    http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...icoNov2012.jpg
    Started with a bib clip so he didn't sweat so much when the older kid who rides him comes out. Then decided that I wanted a better picture of how much weight he's carrying AND decided that he needed to burn a little more off based on what he's eating right now (he gets turned out with two of my horses in the morning and they don't run him off like my other mare often does).

You would be hard pressed to come up with a name for this clip too...

ETA: In response to the OP - Yes, I would clip the legs.

1 members found this post helpful.

the probiotics just might work! When I got Ollie, he was having "butt juice" (but normal stools) and daily Probios has cleared it up completely.

Well, probios makes a probiotic treat that seems to work really well, and that's what I ordered. Especially because my one horse is boarded on pasture board, and sometimes gets runny poo, and because he gets no grain, its hard to give him supplements. So I figured this would be the easiest to have others feed.

PNW - CUTE pony! Love the clip, lol. Your arena is beautiful!

Eta. welp, I did what I could. She was not happy about me messing around in her lady areas. But she tried to stand as still as she could. So I got what I could, which was mostly around the leg. What I had hoped was to get between her legs too, where she has some swamp ass situations. Although I couldn't clip it, she was very good for me to take a wet towel and get it clean. All things considered, she was very good. I think she liked the attention. She stood in the cross ties for a good 45 min.
    Last edited by spacytracy; Dec. 1, 2012 at 08:34 AM.

Hey Spacy, I had some issues with "swamp ass" when Cheyenne was really overweight (about the time I finally figured out she was IR). I used A&D ointment. I put a thin film over the area once a day and that really helped prevent irritation. In the winter, I would take a kitchen sized hand towel, soak it in hot water and then put it in one of those insulated lunch bags so it would stay warm while I drove to the barn. Then I could wipe her off each day without too much trouble.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...