The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Crone, I LOVED your blog entry on wine and groceries! You are an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by cada931 View Post
    Crone, I LOVED your blog entry on wine and groceries! You are an inspiration.
    You are very kind to say so. Feel free to comment on the blog any time! And congratulations on your new property. May your hay barn stay full of hay and your swimming pool stay free of donkeys.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

3 members found this post helpful.

Finding reliable help is extremely difficult where I live. I do all my own work even when I don't want to but when I need someone to come and do something, well, let's just say that the work ethic is not alive and well where I live. And I have had to pay out the nose at times for simple carpentry work ($100 an hour to nail up a few boards). I am now doing the weed wacking because $25 an hour (tools and gas provided) is not enough. Don't get me started (and I don't live in a high cost area).

It is a lot of work to own a farm. You must love doing it or don't do it.

Congrats on your farm purchase!

You can never have too many outbuildings, you will be amazed how fast they fill up.

Congratulations!

Don't forget to take many pictures and if you can, share some, please.

Congrats! I am now in year three of having my own small farm and horses at home. The only thing I wish I had known was how much I would love it--I would have done it sooner! Mine had no fencing either, so I built a paddock around the run-in, and then fenced all the land into two large pastures. I used split-rail fencing and highly recommend it if you're going to DIY. It's pretty much foolproof and was really fun to build. It seems more expensive but you don't have to dig as many holes (or use as many posts, or as many bags of concrete) so I think it evens out.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Congrats on your new farm. I've been a farm owner since 1986 and I can tell you that the biggest challenge has been ....the neighbors!
    Good luck to you and enjoy!

Well, congratulations aren't in order just yet. The place didn't hold up to the home inspection - just too many "one more things" to fix. Turns out we missed seeing the house furnace on the first walk-through because it doesn't have one! They're using the fireplaces and the deteriorating radiant heat ceilings - so that's a bit of a miss.

Still, we're better educated and more specific and critical as we keep looking. I spent last weekend learning about manure storage regulations - lesson 1: in Ontario it's not manure storage, it's nutrient management

2 members found this post helpful.

Um. Heat's important, that's my contribution to this thread.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I lived in my new farm with a wood stove and no thermostat for 7 years.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate having a thermostat again.

(Of course, as my case illustrates, HVAC can be added. You just have to budget for it.)
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Too bad on the home inspection. Our house had a furnace that was put in when the house was built back in the 70's. It sounded like an airplane taking off when it would come on in the morning. We recently replaced it with a heat pump and will be adding a wood stove for fun.

I hope you find the right place!

When we were looking, I wasn't yet a realtor. Our agent told me something I've later learned to appreciate: either get an old house or have horses. There isn't usually enough time or money to do both to your satisfaction. As much as I loved old stone farmhouses, I went for a 1972 Cape Cod (which we're now renovating to LOOK like an old stone farmhouse...). In retrospect, it was a wise choice.