The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone have extra pop rocks they're willing to part with???

I am ordering today from Abler, but didn't know if anybody had extras they would be willing to sell so I can get her started. I plan to pay for express shipping from Abler, but she is starting to go off feed now so would like to start as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    SFH
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

You could try some over-the-counter ranitidine while you are waiting. You will have to look up the dosage, but you can buy the 150 mg tablets and give them 2x or 3x a day. You can crush them up and make a slurry or paste and syringe it in.

I was a fool and let myself run out of pop rocks. Everything was fine, but then my vet came to give some rabies shots. Vet did not even touch or go near this horse -- I had to give him the shot myself -- but that alone was enough stress to give him ulcers. This horse who is retired and lounges around the pasture all day...

Anyway, while waiting for the pop rocks, I bought a couple of tubes of UlcerGard to start out and then used a lot of U-Gard pellets in his feed. I didn't bother with ranitidine because I knew he wouldn't eat it.

I will never be without the pop rocks!

She is currently on 14, 300 mg tablets of Ranitidine twice daily, but they really just aren't doing the trick. They are maintaining her, but she really isn't "on feed & water" like she should be. Its keeping her picking and sipping, but not like she should be.

I ordered BPR express shipping yesterday, and I have enough Ranitidine to keep her on the 14 twice a day until they arrive.

I use one of those magic bullet blenders (the one that comes with the cups that you see on TV and can make smoothies adn stuff) and it comes with a smaller cup and a flat processing blade attachment. I put the 14 pills on there, screw on the top, blend for about 5 seconds...pure powder! MUCH easier than the pill crushers. I sprinkle it in her alfalfa mash, and then carefully fold it in by covering it with alfalfa mash from the outsides of the dish. So far, she is eating it.

You could be looking for as many as 60 at the treatment dose. I don't have that many on hand, but could spare 21 to get you started. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks all! I'm going to try to delete this request, because I was able to get more Ranitidine from the vet which will last until my expedited shipment of BPR arrives (hopefully!).

I am also ordering RiteTrac from KER.

See my thread "Ulcer woes...again" to read the novel! LOL!