The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Delfina Saddlery reviews? Anyone used the brand?

I'm thinking of buying an anatomic leather dressage girth from them, but have never heard of the company before. Has anyone else used their products? What's the leather quality and construction like?

I bought the exact girth you are asking about a few months ago. I'm really happy with it. The leather was soft right out of the box. The stitching is nice and tight and I haven't seen any loose threads yet. The elastic has a decent amount of stretch in it, but not too much. Its padded more than the County Logic girth (have one of those, but 2 inches longer than my Delfina one). The only (minor) drawback is that it doesn't have keepers above the buckles, so theoretically the billets could slide around above the buckles. That hasn't been the case for me so I don't really mind not having the keepers. Even with that, I still prefer it over my County Logic girth!

FYI, there's been a few threads about the Delfina girth vs. the County Logic girth. Just do a search on County Logic girth and they should come up.

I've had a couple of browbands by them - can't comment on the girths, but the browbands are nice mid-quality (great for the price!).

Did you buy it to help keep the saddle from sliding back? That's the problem I am trying to fix. I bought a neoprene anatomic girth by Ovation, but the quality was terrible and it was so flimsy the the "curve" pretty much pulled straight once you saddled up. I'm hoping leather will hold its shape better. Ah, the trials of riding a rotund Arab...

Quote Originally Posted by Nike13 View Post
    Did you buy it to help keep the saddle from sliding back? That's the problem I am trying to fix. I bought a neoprene anatomic girth by Ovation, but the quality was terrible and it was so flimsy the the "curve" pretty much pulled straight once you saddled up. I'm hoping leather will hold its shape better. Ah, the trials of riding a rotund Arab...
    No, I got it to keep my saddle from sliding forward. My 4 y.o. Trak gelding has a forward girth groove and the straight girths were pulling the saddle onto his shoulders. I'm not sure the anatomic girth would keep your saddle from sliding back. But I do know that the Delfina girth keeps its shape.

I meant forward. Sorry...long day.

I have one, it does a pretty good job. I liked that it cost a lot less than the other brands but is still decent quality. I also have an extremely round arab with big shoulders and a forward girth groove, the saddle still slides a bit, but not as bad as it used to.

I have one. It's not as nice as the County or Prestige, but good for the money. I think it's identical to the Ovation anatomical girth.

I had a rather bad customer service experience with when buying fom the website, so I would personally recommend either buying from the eBay store or going with a different brand.

Here's the Ovation. When I say identical, these look so similar I think it might be the same girth sold under two different brands.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...th/p/X1-02199/

Thanks for all the info. I'm glad I'm not the first to go through this. I really want a magical girth solution, not a new saddle solution. I've had a few Ovation girths of various types, and have not been impressed with the buckle quality. My first one rusted within a month. I know it was only $40, but still. How do the Delfina buckles seem to hold up? I do a lot of trails and endurance, so it's going to see a lot of sweaty, muddy use.

You might want to spring for a Prestige or County. I've already seen some rust on mine, and it's on my husband's horse, who isn't being worked particularly hard.

I have a County for my wide barreled Arab. I use it on his endurance saddle and have a long one for his jumping saddle. They've made a big difference in stability. Those girths have been through all sorts of weather and muck (trails, fox hunting, XC, etc), and are still in excellent condition. Keep an eye on eBay - I got both of mine on there.

I actually like the Prestige better (have one for a different horse) but needed a 20" girth, and Prestige's smallest size is 24".

On a side note - I had my billets changed on my dressage saddle. A point billet lined the strap us with his forward girth groove, and I can ride with a "normal" girth. That might be another option for you.

Good to know. I may go the point billet route on my jumping saddle, but my dressage saddle is a Wintec, and I doubt it would be possible. I just hate to spend the money on a County when I'm not even sure this will help. Ugh. Decisions....

I bought some of their padded reins and stirrup leathers. Both have been good quality. Not top of the mark like arc de triomphe, but very, very nice.

I just hate to spend the money on a County when I'm not even sure this will help.
    Do you have a local County rep - ask to try out the girth
    You might also call head office & see if they one they might send out as a demo, just make sure of shipping charges first.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike13 View Post
    Good to know. I may go the point billet route on my jumping saddle, but my dressage saddle is a Wintec, and I doubt it would be possible. I just hate to spend the money on a County when I'm not even sure this will help. Ugh. Decisions....
    My personal preference would be an Albion over a County any day. Just sayin'. I tried a bunch of County saddles with one of their fitters and neither my horse nor myself liked any of them. I was all ready to buy a new one and felt really let down. Albions have more custom fitting options, in my opinion...the main drawback being their only official warranty person is in New York. She does great fitting though...I have had her fit three Albion saddles for me, and she sends them home clean and usually with any minor repairs done free of charge. She also does repair/custom work on other saddles and tack, you may want to check her out at Dutchess Bridle and Saddlery.

Does anyone have an opinion on Delfina's bridlework? I am looking for a custom bridle without paying the "custom price"...does not have to be uber-fancy but must be sturdy and a better alternative to my current "Frankenbridle".

I have one of their bridles. I like it a lot but it does have some issues. I had to buy rubber keepers because the keepers on the bridle are too loose and slide down causing the extra leather to flop about and the twisted wire and diamonds came out of the browband after about 18mnths, it worked out ok though because I just replaced it with beads and I think it looks ever better now

Quote Originally Posted by svvdressage View Post
    I have one of their bridles. I like it a lot but it does have some issues. I had to buy rubber keepers because the keepers on the bridle are too loose and slide down causing the extra leather to flop about and the twisted wire and diamonds came out of the browband after about 18mnths, it worked out ok though because I just replaced it with beads and I think it looks ever better now
    Well, I'm old enough that "bling" is not my "thing", and I can add keepers easily enough, if there aren't any other serious problems...is the leather fairly sturdy and does it clean up nice? I need something I can use and clean up well enough to do smaller shows in without pulling out a special show bridle or something...