The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can I have a little cheese with this whine?

Okay, in the last month I've been dealing with my wonderful dog Jake having bone cancer. My OTTB mare has an abscess from hell, that's threatening to turn into WLD. Vet out twice and the farrier out. My mutant mini has choked (3 time for this) and had to have the vet out twice.

Now two weeks ago I fostered a shih tzu mix a co-worker was threatening to euth because she was poorly house broken and yappy. I told him we could probably find the dog a home if I spend my week's vacation at Thanksgiving trying to house train her. Two weeks later and she hasn't had a single accident, isn't yappy except for a few minutes when she's crated until she settles down. She's good with cats, dogs and horses. I've contacted a rescue to see if they could work at finding her a home while I fostered. Then I came home last night to find that one of my dogs had really nailed her. A trip to the emergency vet and an estimate of $700-$900 to patch her up. They've stabilized her this morning but haven't put in the drains, etc. So now I have to hope I can transport her to my vet to have this done a little cheaper.

Sheesh. I'm glad I have a hefty emergency fund.

StG

Holy crap. Very sorry for all of your troubles. When it rains, it pours. Here's hoping everything gets better. And more jingles for your dog.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Oh man, what a trial!! I hope all your animals get better quickly... and stay that way!
    In which area of the States are you?
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

Thanks for the sympathy, friends. (where's my cheese?)
    Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Oh man, what a trial!! I hope all your animals get better quickly... and stay that way!
    In which area of the States are you?
    I'm in Tennessee.

Oy. Did you forget to tell all of the critters that there is NO MORE in the veterinary fund and they need to knock it off? ((hugs)) <i <----there is a slice of cheese.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I feel your pain. In June my husband had a horse accident and broke his pelvis. That same weekend my favortie mare had an impaction colic. The vet thought we could pull her though so we treated aggressively. Lost her dispite a vet 5 times in 7 days. While waiting for the vet at midnight ( Did I mention I love my vet) after getting home from the hospital late and found she had taken a turn for worse, another horse came to the gate with a large gash across his hock. Nothing the vet could do for that so it required cold hosing, antibiotics. etc. Not even wrapable. Then the Mom barn cat committed suicide by car and left me to feed a batch of kittens with a syringe. Saved one. . Priority went to the living, breathing, and pain feeling creatures. The other stuff like flat tires, blown hoses, broken, leaking machinery had to take a backseat. Dr bills, hospital bills, vet bills, service call bills. Yup, depleted that cushion. Hugs to you. Been there......

I think you definitely deserve the cheese of your choice! Jingles for all your critters!!

It always seems that just as you find yourself on stable footing again, one of them decides to do (or have done to them) something silly.

0 0 0 0 0 0 1
    _____________ _ 1

Here's some swiss cheese. It was all I had.

It was OK before I posted it. Sorry. Fractured swiss.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    Fractured swiss.
    Fondue will solve that problem.

I got the dog back from the vet last night. Many drains, moving very slowly, but moving. Ate a bit of wet food. She has to have 2 antibiotics and heparin shots for the next two days. I'm glad she made it.

StG

That's good news. Jingles for a speedy and uneventful recovery.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Awww, man.

St. Germain and My Two Cents, so sorry things have been so dang rough.

Hoping the new year brings the total opposite and everything goes your way.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

My Two Cents - Yeah, the equipment stuff has been there for me, too. Three months ago I had to finally replace my old station wagon. It gave its all, but at 15 years and 213,000 miles, it wasn't worth fixing. And my washing machine went out 3 weeks ago. And of course, I painted my house. (Which actually makes me happy every time I look at it, so that's okay) Now I just need to replace the roof.

StG

1 members found this post helpful.

After a short time of feeling sorry for ourselves we realized how lucky we really are. The accident could have been a whole lot worse. Some hardware, screws, and a summer of healing put my husband back together. We were so blessed to have my mare to share with an equine therapy program for so many years. She brought happiness to many. She was born on the farm and died on the farm 27 years later. The gash healed without any lameness issues (but plenty of proud flesh to deal with). The surviving kitten showed us how to stick it out. For a couple weeks before I got out of bed in the morning I had to remind myself that I could handle whatever came my way.

The first day my husband thought he could get back to a little haying was a real test. 15 weeks after his wreck he crawled up on his tractor. First he found a tree across the hay field driveway. Then he sheared the bolt on the mower. Blew a fluid filled tractor tire next. It leaked all over the hay field so feeding the hay was questionable. Then he blew a hydraulic line on the hay rake. And to top it all off, the PTO on the baler wouldn't work. So, things are back to normal.

What a great looking house! Comes complete with a grazing horse! I can see why that would make you happy. Sure hope things improve soon for you.
    Last edited by My Two Cents; Dec. 1, 2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Adding comment.

My husband and I have a saying: It's not Christmas without a vet bill. Our critters will go all year without anything other than routine stuff, and then the holidays loom... Last year the dog had to have a tonsil removed 3 days before Christmas. A tonsil! Poor dog wasn't supposed to eat anything but mush, but he looked so dejected, I blendered beef tenderloin for him.
    So far, this year has been quiet. Now I just jinxed myself.

I hope the rest of your year is incident free.
    You are what you dare.