The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Town Plans to Tax Horse Owners

Well, one town realized they can make money on horse owners. Wait until other towns hear of this - ka-ching!

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...own-bad-sooden
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

glade I have ponies

Aren't there several US eastern cities that require a fee for a horse within the city limits?

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    glade I have ponies

Aren't there several US eastern cities that require a fee for a horse within the city limits?
    LOL, they would probably included.

Brave new world.

The riding club with it's string of lesson horses would likely be taxed out of existance...

And there are people who say it's not a problem when horses are classified as pets....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    glade I have ponies

Our town taxes you on your horses...They ask you to declare the value of each and you pay a tax based on that amount...like property tax. That was a nice surprise when we moved here.

Up to 750 euro per horse, per year? Holy! That sure would put a stop to back yard breeding.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Its just another reason to get a slush fund set up.

Mike - Wait till July 2013 when you are taxed on Mother Nature (Rain Tax)... Im not joking either

Default Our town tried it . . .

years ago. Whoever thought the plan up, seriously didn't know anything about horses. You had to fill out a form, checking off whether you had a thoroughbred or not, apparently only the thoroughbreds were considered a breed and worth taxing. : 0
    No one I knew ever sent the form back. I thought that if they pressed the issue, I would tell them that all my "thoroughbreds" were lame and not worth the price to print the form!

Our little New England town has a property tax on livestock (includes horses and ponies). I don't know how long it's been in place, but at least for the past 20 years.

The Animal Control Officer has to inspect the barn and horses once a year, give the count to the tax assessor and then we get a bill. The good news is that each horse is valued at the same amount, $1000, and the annual tax is $1o per thousand. I pretend it pays for our ACO, who is a great guy.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL, they would probably included.

Brave new world.

The riding club with it's string of lesson horses would likely be taxed out of existance...

And there are people who say it's not a problem when horses are classified as pets....
    Well... If it became a widespread thing in Europe I suppose we can look at it this way... That's one way for the US to gain a better competitive edge in international competition. Fewer riding clubs getting the youngsters started correctly = fewer international powerhouses in the future. Then again... Fewer riders means fewer competitors, fewer CDIs, fewer top notch horses... Ok, perhaps not the best way for things to pan out!

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    Well... If it became a widespread thing in Europe I suppose we can look at it this way... That's one way for the US to gain a better competitive edge in international competition. Fewer riding clubs getting the youngsters started correctly = fewer international powerhouses in the future. Then again... Fewer riders means fewer competitors, fewer CDIs, fewer top notch horses... Ok, perhaps not the best way for things to pan out!
    you are the second poster making laugh in the last 2 minutes

However, if that example sets precedence, especially in the proposed amounts, you know where the industry is headed...get that handbasket read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The chain reaction for this could be horrible if it goes through; grooms, feed mills, bedding suppliers, trainers, etc. So many people rely on the horse industry as their income, whether directly or indirectly.

Hopefully this will not pass.