The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jealous Horse?

My mare has been out of commission for about 3 years now. However, she has become increasingly protective of me if I am in the barn. If I go in another horse's stall when it is not feeding time, she will go nuts sometimes. She will bang her head on the wall or paw until she gets yelled at. I have tried the ignoring it and she will stop method, but the problem is her nose will bleed (due to a health issue) if she bangs her head and I have to yell at her or go over to her stall so this doesn't happen.

So far the only solution I have come up with is to put her outside or in the indoor arena after I get done grooming her (or what ever we are doing that day) with a buddy. She seems ok then, but this is an issue if someone else needs to ride during that time in the indoor and the pastures are not able to be used.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Mind you, she can not wear a halter due to her nose. She is my heart horse and I really want to not have her be so stressed about me and another horse.
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

Honestly, she's going to have to learn to deal with. I have a horse who is similar (if I go in her field and get somebody else out, the walk to the gate is not fun.) She needs to live with it.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

See, that's the weird thing... She has been fine with it until about 6 months ago when this started. No idea why, just odd
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?