The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CONCERNS ABOUT WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH

I use a weight distribution system and am hearing some scary noises. I got a new and higher truck a year ago and when I go around sharp turns I sometimes hear a creaking semi screeching sound...it sounds like something is going to pop. My mechanic says it is normal but I did not hear this with my old truck and a friend who also uses a WDS says except occasional very light creaking, she hears nothing. I also notice that my brackets on the trailer are always lose plus they seem to be sliding forward and they have cut into the aluminum. My mechanic suggested I have something welded in front of the brackets to keep them from sliding. Does this sound right to those of you out there who use weight Distribution hitch and bars? Lastly, I have NO trouble puttting the bars on and I really had to strain with my old truck. I am not at all strong and feel like I should have to try harder....the chains are as short as they can be!

Quote Originally Posted by trafalgar View Post
    My mechanic suggested I have something welded in front of the brackets to keep them from sliding. !

IF this is a heat tread part, welding on it will weaken it

Have you contacted 1) the hitch manufacturer 2)the truck manufacturer to see what their explanation is for the noisy

No but I am taking it to a place nearbye that services horse trailers to get their opinion.

Yeah, I'd have someone who knows WDH take a look at yours - it doesn't sound right at all. If the bars were too tight I could almost see the screeching, but they sound like they may be too loose.

As an aside - if you have a hard time getting your bars on, put them on before the trailer is totally dropped to the truck. I put my trailer down to right before it goes on the ball, put the bars on (I know which rings it goes on) and then drop the rest of the way and finish hooking up. Haven't used the little pry bar thingie in years.

Well, the new service station set me right and the other guys really messed me up. The truck was too high and needed more of a drop, the shank on the hitch was wrong and I had the chains so tight that the bars could not pivot and so they were grinding against the the trailer (that V looking front part of the frame) when I turned and thus the noise. The other guys looked at all this stuff and said it was fine! Getting a second opinion saved my bacon!