The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default $40 Smartpak free shipping- hard and fast rule?

So I think I've sold myself on the concept of Smartpaks, despite declining to use them for several years. (Mostly has to do with them not offering a lot of the supplements I feed, which I would continue to pre-package myself for the AM, but would switch to Smartpak for PM supplements.)

I'm currently feeding Neighlox and ADR from KPP for my horse's ulcers/digestive issues and after much debate and label reading, I think SmartGut would be an appropriate substitution/consolidation of supplements. The pellets seem harder to avoid eating, so that's a bonus.

My issue and the heart of my question is that after adding the recommended dose, my Smartpak totals $39.95. There are no other supplements from Smartpak that I would consider feeding my horse because I'm otherwise very happy with his diet, and I think it'd be stupid to add a supplement just to reach the $40 threshold. However, I also think it's ridiculous to be $0.05 shy and have to pay almost $9 shipping. Because I'm a total cheapass, I'm considering contacting Smartpak to see how hard and fast their $40 rule is. My only problem is that I'm a bit scared and embarrassed because after all, they don't even have to offer free shipping if they don't want to, so I can't whine that much.

So- has anyone encountered this issue? How willing was Smartpak to bend the rules over 5 cents? Is it worth contacting them?

Can't hurt to ask! They have the best customer service out there, but I wouldn't expect them to cave.

Could you do smartgut ultra or something slightly more expensive, just to put you over 40? Or group up with people from your barn who get smartpaks?
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Order your pony a little bag of treats each month.

6 members found this post helpful.

3 members found this post helpful.

That happened to me. I added a well of electrolytes, which I think are about $7 a month. I'd rather spend the money on a supplement than shipping.

Pretty sure the supplements themselves have to be $40, not including anything you add to that order. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. What about adding an electrolyte supplement if they won't give you free shipping? I pay $8.95 / month for their SmartLytes. Would still maybe be a tiny bit cheaper than having to pay shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren12 View Post
    Order your pony a little bag of treats each month.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

yes, shipping is free gong to the barn no matter the minimum, mine total 25 dollars.... and you get free shipping on other things too and they don't have to ship the same day as the supplements.

Make sure you take advantage of the free embroidery and monogramming if it ships to the barn.... makes great gifts!

Also I believe there is also 10% off on SP brand blankets, sheets, pads, etc which can also be monogrammed for free. I'm loving SP! I was hesitant to do this but I end up saving money over buying my own plus its much easier and love the perks.

3 members found this post helpful.

Sign up for barnsaver shipping... Then it is free shipping either way as long as it gets shipped direct to the barn
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

Ditto on the Barn Saver. I have my horses at home but I have the Barn Saver. Originally when they started it, you just had to have more than 1 horse at your private home to get apart of it if you werent at a boarding facility. Now it seems that they dont ask about that. My Barn Saver day is Tuesday. Anything I want to order will ship out on Tuesday for free and I receive it on Friday. I love SP!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

1 members found this post helpful.

One more input, I just got a note from them that all 4 of the supplements I use (2 different horses) are increasing by a dollar each next month. Maybe you won't need to worry after all.

But ditto everyone else on barn saver.

Yes I received the same thing.

Funny enough, I was already considering moving my gelding from the 4 separate supplements to just one (Reitsport) and it was only going to be $2 more expensive. But after receiving the price increase (three supplements are from SP), the Reitsport is actually $1 cheaper now! LOL I was going to do it anyway but I thought it was funny.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Mine total over $40, as like someone else I'd rather have a supplement than pay shipping (ended up adding MSM pellets). Some of the others at my barn don't reach the minimum. So last month I finally decided to have my house be the "barn" shipping location as the barn is gated and there isn't always someone there so having them ship to the barn wouldn't work. I also like that with the barn saver you get free shipping one day a week and free embroidery.

If any of your supplements are in powdered form, a lot of times they offer the pelleted equiv for a few dollars extra which would put you just over.