The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default something cool happened today!

Sooooo I have been riding for my entire life but I have always had trouble being able to feel my diagonals. I don't know what it is, and I know with the level I'm at I should be able to feel where my horse's legs are at all times and I usually can, but with diagonals I just always have to look down and check no matter what!

Anyway today I ended up trotting through the woods in the dark after my lesson to take my trainer's horse back to her house, and going somewhat blindly around a turn, all the sudden I FELT WHERE HER LEGS WERE! My inability to see made my ability to feel more acute and I was able to realize that I was on the wrong diagonal! It was such a cool revelation!

Also the other cool thing was that I was trotting blindly through the dark scary woods and my trainer's horse basically led the way home... she is a saint and a half!!!

I hope I'm not the only one who had this problem or else I will feel really dumb

3 members found this post helpful.

Congrats!! What a great moment. My "feel" is not as good as I would wish, either.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I am waiting to have that moment at the canter! I can feel my diagonals, no problem. Even as a fairly novice rider, got the feel for them as a young teenager. Years later, I am still ridiculously bad at feeling and seeing my canter leads unless the horse is completely unbalanced. I don't get how I can feel one but not the other! I completely understand.

Awesome! I've felt my diagonals for as long as I can remember, but to this DAY I still have problems feeling leads! Crazy Congrats, those moments of clarity are a wonderful thing!

Hmmm, maybe I should try that! I've never had a problem feeling leads, but diagonals... sigh. I feel like such an idiot when someone's watching me ride and they go "um, you're on the wrong diagonal"

I think some horses are easier to feel than others too. My current horse is very reactive to seat bone pressure. If I were to try to bend him while posting the inside diagonal we'd be all discombobulated.

Now that you've learned this about yourself, use it!!! Close your eyes when you're trying to get something new.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I make people close their eyes for a few seconds to learn how to feel diagonals. Very useful exercise. I do it myself sometimes, just to keep myself sharp. Well done and big pats to the horse for being good in the dark woods!