The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tredstep Kudos

Okay... It's not a huge thing, but public kudos to Tredstep are in order.

I ordered a pair of Tredstep Donatello field boots about a year ago from Smartpak. (I loooove the boots, by the way!) They came with a pair of inflatable boot trees. Well, about a month ago, one of them was not holding any air. I found the hole and attempted to patch it, but I was unsuccessful. I tried to buy some new ones, but Smartpak doesn't sell the inflatable boot trees separately.

So, I emailed Tredstep last night and asked if I could purchase some directly from the company. The representative emailed me back today and asked for my shipping address. She advised that Tredstep would send me some free of charge!

Yeah... It's not a HUGE thing, but it is significant to me! I have always been pleased with Tredstep's products, but now I don't think I'll buy anything else! I have their half chaps and the tall boots, but I feel a pair of their paddock boots in my future when mine give up...

3 members found this post helpful.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

That's awesome. I just got my Donatellos yesterday and am going to ride in them tonight. I was very impressed with how comfortable they are already after just a few hours of wear around the house!
    Dreaming in Color

Not to Hijack your thread, but being that I am actually up for new half chaps and paddock boots, Tredstep was on my list. How are their chaps and boots?
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

I love their half chaps and, after getting their tall boots (Donatellos?), they will definitely be my next paddock boots. (Secretly hoping something happens to my fairly new Ariats b/c I do not like them, but can't really justify replacing them yet...)

Quote Originally Posted by cswoodlandfairy View Post
    Not to Hijack your thread, but being that I am actually up for new half chaps and paddock boots, Tredstep was on my list. How are their chaps and boots?
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

I have their paddock boots. At first they were a little tight around the ankle, but they broke in fine. I have the zip and was concerned about the elastic stretching like on my Grand Prix's (which I will never buy again.) But they are 5 years old now and still going strong.

I'd like to note that I have one horse and I only ride in them... no barn work, etc. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with their chaps.
    Dreaming in Color

Default Tredstep

There is a paddock boot thread you may want to read before you buy Tredstep paddock boots. While I loved the fit on them I have had bad luck getting them to last even a year. My second pair made it 3 months. I did get Tredstep to replace a pair thanks to that thread, which I am thankful for.

I would love to buy their tall boots but I'm too tall. I do have their half chaps and I recommend that you buy them very tight because they stretch out quite a bit.

I loved their half chaps.. the leather ones with the snaps on the top and bottom.. they died eventually though because the snap got really difficult to do and then broke, but I liked them.

Love their half chaps. First pair the snap broke but dover replaced them. Second pair had something stange going on, the leather was bagging up so dover replaced. Even with the couple returns, I would buy them again.

I love my Donnatello's, but one of my inflatable boots trees has always had a leak. I'm in the market for a new pair of paddock boots since my Ariats bit the dust the other night. I'll definitely be checking out the Tredsteps.

That's a nice thing. I love my Mountain Horse inflatable boot trees. No experience with the TS boots, but I loved the half chaps ... until the snap became difficult to fasten and then broke off. But then my horse broke the chap COMPLETELY and I've been using cheapie $20 chaps off ebay. I've considered trying again on the half chaps since I really liked the fit of them; LOVED the zipper.

I have the half chaps and I really like them. I have the leather ones with the snap at the top and bottom. I still have a pair of suede ones that are still in good condition, but I wanted the smooth leather (as an upgrade )
    As an aside, a little WD-40 works nicely to get those snaps working smoothly should they get a little tough.

When I buy the full leather ones again, I will go down a size as they tend to stretch a bit. I am tough on mine, but I do clean and condition them regularly. They always clean up nicely.

1 members found this post helpful.

I find that the TS zipper is sooooo sturdy. I show in a pair of boots that are not TS, but sometimes I'm tempted to start sticking to my Donatellos. I don't know if anyone has tried both the Donatello and the Da Vincis, but I liked the Donatellos better. I think I just liked the way the foot was.

My half chaps (I don't know which model) didn't stretch out as much as I hoped. I can only wear them with my thin riding tights. That's why I ended up purchasing the Donatellos, to wear when it's cold and I'm wearing thick pants/paddocks break or god forbid my Parlantis break. I LOVEEEEE my Donatellos. I think that they would hold up for schooling and showing as well. I've been (mostly) schooling in them for a year and they've held up fantastically. Plus they're gorgeous

I'm going to go against the grain and say that I HATE their half chaps. I like every other product they have, but I have stuffed mine in the bottom of the tack box only to be used in dire conditions. While the leather is nice, and the zipper is sturdy, the darn snaps on the bottom take a body builder to get undone. I bought two pairs, one for myself, and one for my daughter. The snap was still so tight after 6 months of use 3+ time a week, my daughter would have to sit on the ground so I could yank as hard as I could to get the strap undone. I was told this is a "new" problem that many people are complaining about with the new TS half-chaps. I grease, I oiled, I sanded, I filed... I did everything I could think of (I'm an engineer, I had a lot of ideas) still too hard to unsnap.

Check with your local tack shop, mine replaces snaps on half chaps for $2/pair

Love hearing about customer service like that! Thanks for sharing!