The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Grazing Muzzles - Abrasion against Nose

I'm turning out my horses in the Best Friend Grazing muzzles. They are in them all day.

I brought my grey horse in, and he has a sensitive nose as it is pink. It was all blistered from the abrasion. I know many people have issues with other parts of the muzzle rubbing, and use sheepskin, but this is right on the bottom of the nose.

Does anyone have any tips with how to prevent this?

Given time, most of them will toughen up any spots on their upper lip where there is rubbing. My pony has a little callus right on the tip of her lip, but it is no longer sore or tender, just a little tough spot.

A little vaseline or bag balm might help, and obviously make sure the fit is as good as you can possibly make it--sometimes lengthening the cheek straps helps--but most of the rubbing on lips and noses is from when they're actually working grass blades up into the hole so it's tough to avoid in some cases.
    Click here before you buy.

I've had two horses with that problem and I wrapped that part of the muzzle with vet wrap.

Also, I'm pretty sure that I saw that Thinline now makes a thing to go on muzzles.

Okay hands down the absolute best thing created ever!!!! is Goldbond Friction Stick. It looks like deodorant but is the really slick substance that you apply to your skin. My pony was getting horrible muzzle rubs and I swiped this on as often as I could, I board so max once daily probably every other day. The rubs disappeared and healed up, I didn't have to apply any other salves or medications to the areas to get them to heal this did it all!

It works for the areas you cant wrap. I applied it to his nostrils, lips and the end of his nose.

http://www.goldbond.com/friction-defense.html
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Try sticky-backed moleskin from the shoe store.

1 members found this post helpful.

From an auto supply store (and auto dept at Walmart) I found a thing people buy to put around their seat belt shoulder strap so it doesn't "cut into" their shoulder. It's like a tube made of fleece or other soft fabric that fastens to itself with velcro - maybe about 6 inches long. I got one and was able to customize it around the top of my grazing muzzle - they're cheap so you don't mind cutting holes in it to fit around the vertical straps on the muzzle. I'm doing a horrible job of describing this but hopefully you get the picture. Put the velcro'd side on the outside of the muzzle, not against the skin!
    Last edited by GotMyPony; Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Found this a couple years ago and was waiting to see if dover or smartpak picked it up but they never did. But would be interested in getting http://www.bestfriendequine.com/have-a-heart.htm

I bought a small sheep skin with wool from ebay and sewed a piece on the nose piece. No more rubs.
    What's Horsie in the Twin Tiers? Find out here:
    http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Former user name: GilbertsCreeksideAcres

I rubbed some vaseline on my horse's nose before I put the garzing muzzle on and it seems to help. I will look for that Goldbond friction stick, it sounds like it would be easy to use.